Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT - Amare Stoudemire

Zen-like Todd

This kid is a beast, I mean seriously. His stats for the year are excellent for a 1st year high school player, but that doesnt even really tell the story, as his #s have shot up over the last week or so. He's a tough mofo, has a real presence in the paint, is aggressive, and far from being intimidated, scares the crap out of most of his opponents. He bangs down low, blocks shots, and tonight he threw down an absolute monster dunk over Olowokandi.

And that's what the Suns got with the #9 pick on a high schooler at the same position as the Kwaminator.... sniff, sniff. I still have faith in Kwame, but damn, Amare looks impressive. I think he'd snap Tyson Chandler in two and then eat him for breakfast.

Amare had announced his intent to go to U. of Memphis (my alma mater), so I've been following him.

His development is something all the Kwame apologists ought to be watching. The kid is going to lead Phoenix in a season or two. His energy carries that team.

Who were the past three #1 picks? Kenyon Martin, Kwame Brown and Yao Ming. Hmmmm....

The Bullet's luck is terrible...just terrible. The one year we get the #1 pick, the choices are Eddie Curry, Tyson Chandler and Kwame Brown (I guess there was some consideration of Battier and Gasol as well). The right choice would have been Gasol, but nobody had seen him.

Don't discount Kwame for his career yet. He's still a kid, and has lots of room for improvement. He started out this season playing some good ball. True he's fallen off since, but he's shown that he does still have some skills. I just think he lacks confidence and if he ever does get it then he'll be good. Playing with MJ is NOT helping the matter. MJ is used to playing on teams where people are all on the same page, and now that he's not getting that his temper is running a tad short. So everytime Kwame eff's up Jordan won't let him forget it.

I'm not saying that KB will be an allstar I'm just saying that way too much pressure is being put on such a young kid. I fear that the same will happen to LeBron James. He'll come out and not light up the league and then his confidence will get shattered and he'll never reach his awesome potential.

• 2 weeks later...

3 things happen to high schoolers once they are drafted:

a) they come into the league, get completely overwhelmed by the competition they weren't prepared for. High schooler than cracks under the pressure and becomes a bench player for the rest of his career, never utilizing his true potential.

B) they come into the league, get completely overwhelmed by the competition they weren't prepared for. Yet after years and years of slow development, turn into the monster player they were drafted to be.

c) from game one they never fail to impress, making an immediate contribution and showing to be a dominant player in league for years to come.

Amare could be a C type, or he could get into a slump and become a B type. The thing is we'll never know this soon.

Kwame is definitely either an A or B type, but anyone who thinks they know which one he is DOESN'T. It's all up to Kwame how he chooses to live out his career.

I definitely agree that we don't know how Kwame will end up. But given the Bullets/Wizards luck, you know if he turns out to be a beast, it won't be in D.C.

I just don't think the #1 pick in the NBA should be a 'developmental player'. And it's not that the front office didn't do their homework. They did. It was just the fortunes of the Wizards that the candidates for the #1 pick included three high school players, NONE of whom are very impressive.

Imagine how the Bulls feel, trading Brand so they could have both Curry and Chandler. They'd get better rebounding out of Muggsy Boggues (bad spelling, but you remember the little guy).

Archived