Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some upsides of Campbell (stat-o-matic is at it again)

BMahoney

If you do not like stats or think they do not matter you probably want to leave now. I have been posting in here quite pessimistically about next season in hopes that some of you would inform the uninformed about the upsides to next season. As many of you know I have received more criticism and hostility then anything else, so I chose to find out some upsides of Campbell myself. This here could be the redeeming post of a pessimist. I agree many stats do not matter but they are all we have during the off-season, but rather then go by just his regular season stats I decided to look at situational stats and boys we have something to be excited about.

**Another Disclaimer** I tried to search for a thread such as this, but continued to get fatal error through my search. I apologize if this is a repeat and would appreciate a merge if that is the case. Thank you.

With 2 Minutes left in the 1st half:

Campbell 15/34 for 171, 2 TD's and 0 int's

-At first one may say he is not very accurate, but I believe that his low completion rate is not due to inaccuracy but rather is due to his confidence. He was in his first year and didn't want to make mistakes at a crucial point in the game so you gotta figure at least 7 of these passes he threw away. Another stat about last 2 min of the half, Campbell has a 66.7% 1st down.

Now lets compare this to the greatest half closer that I have witnessed.

Manning 59/72 for 561, 2 TD's and 1 int

-Clearly Manning is the more accurate but that is also due to his confidence in himself and his unwillingness to throw the ball away. What we see here is that in half the amount of games Campbell is able to get as many TD's as Manning without any interceptions. Manning also has only 65.4% 1st down. Now Im not saying Campbell is any Peyton but by these numbers you can see Campbell is able to get the job done during crunch time (It is these drives that can give you those 6 points every game that would change a 6-10 team to a 9-7 team). We also see Campbell is able to get the first down and move the chains.

Now we can compare their 4th qtr stats (keep in mind Campbell not being as good as Manning is to be expected, them being in the same range is something we should all be very excited about.

Campbell 35/65 450 3 TD's and 2 int's

-Here Campbell is still inaccurate but again due to lack of confidence from a new starting qb. Both int's came from games in which we were behind and it was put on the shoulders of our young qb to bring us back. Now with that said 450 yards is Campbells highest of any of the quarter, which was something I found to be very intriguing.

Now to Peyton:

Manning 85/123 1112 5 TD's and 3 int's

-Here we see that with more than twice the games Manning is only able to get 2 more TD's then Campbell in the fourth, while at the same time Campbell has one more int(if you multiply his numbers by 2). Manning does have more than twice the yards but no but he's just Peyton Manning. I am hoping that we can drop the int because the game will not be in the hands of Campbell because our D will be able to cause a turnover and majority of the O will be on our RB's.

There are more 3rd down situational stats but I am getting lazy and about to leave my internship. If you are interested in reading more of them here is a link.

Campbell

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/407793/splits/2006

Manning

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12531/splits/2006

First off, regardless of how you do it, comparing our second-year quarterback to arguably the greatest quarterback to ever play the game is a bit ridiculous by any stretch of the imagination. Then again, I may have gone on record once or twice saying that Tom Brady was basically Jason Campbell with a better defense, so I get the excitement.:)

Because of the fact he's only played 7 games, it really is hard to make sense of out his stats, only because they're really isn't too many. That coupled with the fact that we were a team that was essentially out of the playoff hunt after we lost in Tampa, which changes everything.

Overall, I think he did well. And more importantly, he's done everything this off season a champion would do, and has been recognized for doing such.

The stats I personally like are his QB rating for his last 5 games:

That's the kind of steady improvment you like to see in a young player.

If you want more upside for Campbell, I'd recommend Om's blog entry from May 15th, 2007. Good little piece on the kid, primarily outlining his brillance against the G-Man in his last outing.

Ok, I looked it up, and what it means is:

Of his 15 completions within 2 minutes of the half, 10 of them have resulted in a 1st down, a 66.7% rate.

Still very high, and not bad at all. Although I suppose that one would have to expect a higher 1st down rate during a 2-minute situation than during other, less urgent situations.

Nice post. Some very interesting stats.

I think everybody here would agree that campbell has an upside. (unless, of course, you're a cowboy fan, see sig). The big question is how the whole offense comes together. For 3 years now, receivers have had to run their routes, stop. amd waot 5 to 7 seconds for brunell's floppy pass to arrive. The biggest concern is the timing and rythm of the offense with a new QB behind center. As long as they're all on the same page, the offense should click.

First game stats, given Miami's excellent D:

JC: 17/29 for 217, 2 TD, 1 INT

CP: 26 for 113, 1 TD.

With a couple of FG's added one, I think she skins should take that game. I'm not really that scared of Miami's receivers, and trent green is wearing like brunell is.

Archived