Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Orioles Failed Strategy

bulldog

What would your TOP 3 priorities be?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What would your TOP 3 priorities be?

• Pick up a big-name WR in FA (Price or Boston)
    • Resign current players (Gardener, Jansen, etc.)
    • Draft a superstar WR (Rogers), even if we have to trade up to do it -- superstars only come along once in a blue moon!
    • Trade down in the draft, pick a safety in the 1st and two OGs in the second
    • Draft a DT in the first round to replace Big Daddy
    • Fix the little things (K, P, backup QB, OG) through FA and draft the best player available -- we just need time for this roster to jell, and then it's SUPERBOWL, baby!
    • Find a replacement for Davis
    • Pick up a big-name DE in FA
    • Tear the roster completely apart and start from scratch
    • Other

Over the past 3 years the Orioles dumped payroll and attempted in my mind to present a picture to major league baseball of vulnerability that would thwart attempts to place a team in DC. Arguing that 40% of his fan base is from the DC metro area, Angelos seemed to be saying his club would fall even farther than the 67-95 type record it managed in 2002 if they suffered a defection in attendance from that market.

Now that it appears major league baseball IS intent on bringing a team to DC, albeit it AFTER the Expos have dumped all their good players and prospects on the market in 2003 to reduce expenses, Angelos is ramping up for what he perceives to be a regional challenge.

That’s the reason Jim Beattie and Mike Flanagan were hired. And that’s the reason both went to the winter meetings with rocks in their pockets. All of a sudden a team that could not and would not bid on even a $2 million outfielder a couple of years ago is now talking about outbidding the Yankees for Matsui and also trying to add Ivan Rodriguez, all in the same year.

Now who would have thought THAT would have been possible, given Angelos’ protestations of how bleak the financial outlook would be for the Orioles?

In truth, the Orioles are just proving what most of us thought all along. Another baseball team close by with an ownership group willing to spend money to be competitive would actually be a SPUR to the Baltimore team to clean house and start to run the franchise with quality baseball people in the front office and on the field.

I read somewhere that the O's were talking to the Reds about aquiring Griffey Jr. I don't know how much truth there is behind that but it would be interesting to see him go to the O's. One of the more hitter friendly parks.

I use to love the O's. But since the DC area has been trying to get a team, I'm going to wait it out and cheer for who ever goes there.

Originally posted by bulldog

Over the past 3 years the Orioles dumped payroll and attempted in my mind to present a picture to major league baseball of vulnerability that would thwart attempts to place a team in DC. Arguing that 40% of his fan base is from the DC metro area, Angelos seemed to be saying his club would fall even farther than the 67-95 type record it managed in 2002 if they suffered a defection in attendance from that market.

Now that it appears major league baseball IS intent on bringing a team to DC, albeit it AFTER the Expos have dumped all their good players and prospects on the market in 2003 to reduce expenses, Angelos is ramping up for what he perceives to be a regional challenge.

That’s the reason Jim Beattie and Mike Flanagan were hired. And that’s the reason both went to the winter meetings with rocks in their pockets. All of a sudden a team that could not and would not bid on even a $2 million outfielder a couple of years ago is now talking about outbidding the Yankees for Matsui and also trying to add Ivan Rodriguez, all in the same year.

Now who would have thought THAT would have been possible, given Angelos’ protestations of how bleak the financial outlook would be for the Orioles?

In truth, the Orioles are just proving what most of us thought all along. Another baseball team close by with an ownership group willing to spend money to be competitive would actually be a SPUR to the Baltimore team to clean house and start to run the franchise with quality baseball people in the front office and on the field.

Bulldog, you hit this right on the head. Perhaps Angelos finally has accepted the fact that he can't keep a team out of D.C. I can't wait 'til July when MLB is supposed to make the announcement on the 2004 home of the Expos. Everyone seems to feel that D.C. is a lock to land the team. It's a crime that we don't have a baseball team now, but that crime may soon be erased. :wave:

Yes, I do hope they call the team the Washington Senators. I can even live with the team playing in Northern Virginia, as long as they are still called the "Washington" Whatevers, and not the "Virginia" Whatevers. Hopefully they'll be called Senators, but some people like "Washington Monuments." I prefer Senators myself, but step 1 is getting the team. Then we can worry about names.

Failed strategy? You're giving them credit for a strategy? I always assumed it was gross incompetence.

But seriously, Angelo$ will get a nice check for $150M or so when the Expos move (Source: Gammons @ ESPN). I'd call that pretty successful as that was Angelo$ real goal.

Originally posted by ummagumma

But seriously, Angelo$ will get a nice check for $150M or so when the Expos move (Source: Gammons @ ESPN). I'd call that pretty successful as that was Angelo$ real goal.

Yeah, I started to believe as this process wore on that Angelos put up the fight against a team in D.C. not so much to prevent the arrival of the Expos as much as to squeeze Major League Baseball for every compensatory penny he could get from them. He knew he couldn't block the team from coming to D.C., but he was damn sure going to get paid for his inconvenience.

Archived