Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT: 2002 Heisman Trophy - who wins?

Uptown Skins

- Ken Dorsey - QB, Miami. Threw for 3,073 yards and 26 TDs with 10 ints. While his stats are not that eye-catching, Dorsey has ONE lost in the last three season.

- Brad Banks - QB, Iowa. The number one QB in the nation in terms of pass efficiency. He completed 60.1% of his passes for 2,369 yards with 23 TDs and only 4 Ints.

- Carson Palmer - QB, USC. The hottest QB in the season half of the season. He threw for 3,639 yards with 32 TDs and 10 ints. He completed 63% of his passes. In his national spotlight game, he torched a good defense in Notre Dame. I MEAN TORCHED! He's the only "WEST COAST" candidate. No west coast player has won the trophy since 1981(Marcus Allen).

- Larry Johnson - RB, Penn State. The ninth player in Div-1 to run for 2,000+ yards in a season. His final totals were 2,015 yards. The knock against him is that he gained most of his yards against sorry defenses while getting stopped against good defenses.

- Willis McGahee - RB, Miami. The best running back in the history of the Miami program. He rushed for 1,686 yards and scored 27 TDs. A strong case for McGahee is that he ran for big yardage against top competition. He ran for 200+ yards against Vtech and Florida. He is a sophmore. He would be the first sophmore to win the Heisman. He gets my vote!

Who will win?

I think you left out ND's candidate....Vince Manuwai OG Hawaii. :D

Seriously, the Heisman Trophy has become just a bunch of overhyped nonsense. They usually pick some guy with great stats, then the NFL picks the REAL best player in college football with the #1 pick in the draft.

Hate to sound cynical, but that's just my .02

Touche DBL. You make a good point, but talent evaluation is an inexact science at best. I suppose it would have been more representative to point out how many (or few) Heisman trophy winners end up as perennial pro bowlers.

Besides, you aren't allowed to include any #1 overall picks made by the Bungles. :D

Archived