Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be our first pick in the 2003 Draft?

Tomahawk

My opinion goes along the same lines as TC.

I'd go big time play maker only if one fell to our slot (i.e. Rogers); otherwise I'd target DE/DT. If Wilkenson's cut and no one brought in to replace him that's a MAJOR issue.

Then I'd like to see G in the 2cd and C in the 3rd. Get the OL issue settled.

Although I would love to see an additional 2cd and 3rd somehow to add depth or competition for S, WR, TE.

If we have to lose Davis and/or wilkenson I'd love to see them work out a trade for picks somehow.... it's going to kill the cap the same way if cut or traded....... get Davis to agree to the deal and pray for a second or at least a 3rd. for him.....

The problem I see is Cerrato's commentary about "we're going for speed, lots of speed". that kind of eliminates targeting multiple OL or DT's. They could go for a fast DE. And he was scouting Roy Williams.

If Magahee comes out, and if he is as intelligence challenged as rumored, could he pick up the offensive schemes? ( Someone commented that he could score lower than heath Shuler on the intelligence test). of course he isn't a qb.

If we do indeed end up with a topten pick it would be a waste to draft OL. If we needed a solid Tackle it would be a different story but being that our real weakness on the OL is the Guard play we should either address DT or go with the best player available.

Good guards can be found in the lower rounds and in free agency.

Originally posted by Montilar

If Magahee comes out, and if he is as intelligence challenged as rumored, could he pick up the offensive schemes? ( Someone commented that he could score lower than heath Shuler on the intelligence test). of course he isn't a qb.

He's more a product of Miami's superior O-Line than talent. His lack of intelligence isn't going to help when he tries to step up and play with the big boys.

We should go after an already proven WR in free agency(in addition to Gardner, Thompson,McCants,Cliff Russel,Skaggs), then go DE/DT in 1st round, a Quality G in second, and shop for s/db's (Boss Bailey?) in third. Maybey if still available in fourth or beyond-a decent kicker and punter.

Get Donovon Darius in free agancy to play along side Ohalete as safeties

To early to speculate, but it is fun!

Free agency will have some effect on how we approach the draft, but my bet is we trade down if there is a "blockbuster" offer on the table to us.

Spurrier wants, and needs offense...O-line, WR and depth...that is where we are going! :thumbsup:

Whirlwind offseaon coming!!!!

It really is early, but I'll put in my two cents.

Address the WR position in free agency ( Price, Hilliard, Boston, Coles, etc )

1st round--McDougle DE

2nd rd -----Guard from Hawaii ( not sure how to spell it )

3rd rd --- Boss Bailey

rounds 4-7-----OL, Dl, DB's

I could see trading way down in the first round and taking Julian Battle, Safety, from Tennessee. I think he's a player who could contribute right away and I'm sort of tired of watching David Terrell struggle every game. (I don't care for the Ohio State safety, Doss - he had a horrible game vs. Northwestern and it's stuck with me all season).

I believe I'd like a couple of those Iowa offensive linemen - they've been strong all year.

A word of caution - do not draft the Louisville DE. I've seen a lot of him this year and he doesn't even dominate games in the weak C-USA. I feel much the same about Dave Ragone - he's a day two pick.

Name a late round guard that is still on the team?

Once we get this stupid star player nonsense out of fans and Danny systems then we will be able to turn things around.

While it is true unfortunately that we are becoming a finesse team you still need to have a solid O line which can make the average QB look marino like.

Remember the holes the hogs would open for the running game and the pass protection they provided well there isnt a reason we cant have that again.

At the same time we need Defensive pressure so team dont have al of that time to throw on us.

When you have a chance to get one you get one.

Football starts and ends with the lines. Trade down, pick up another round #2

low 1. Best DT or DE

high 2. OG

low 2. Best DT or DE

3. FS

4. OG

5,6,7. QB, HB, more line depth

Pick up Price in the offseason, Pick up another quality DE or DT, Sign a good FS, get Russell back to full health, Resign Jansen + Gardener, Ramsey plays well, and we have a good shot at the playoffs.

MUST PRESSURE QUARTERBACK TOO!

our D line is fine. Weve stopped the run without any problem and we have a pretty decent sack total, even B Smith has played decently.

Our number one priority should be to give Ramsey time to develop into a good QB.

Our DLine is not fine. Right now we misuse Lavar Arrington to compensate for our shoddy DLine, we have one legit stud DLineman in Gardener, who just happens to have chronic back problems, Wilkinson as far as I can discern is going to be cut, Wynn is nearly invisible and Bruce Smith's first contract was written on papyrus. We need to bolster both sides of the line, not just the interior OLine, and using a high 1st on an OLineman, when a high 2nd would be just as good would be a waste.

Originally posted by TennesseeCarl

I believe I'd like a couple of those Iowa offensive linemen - they've been strong all year.

I definitely agree with that. They are the reason Betts was drafted as high as he was. They are some beasts.

I also like their TE Dallas Clark but he is a junior this year. Someone to keep an eye on though for the future.

If the trade down option is available then i think we must do it, especially if the players that we covet are off the board. I think WR will be the choice, but picking a DL (lots of quality this yr) makes more sense.

As long as our 1st rounder is an impact type I dont really care what position we address as the squad has quite a few holes. If Boss Bailey is available I'd take him and keep him at LB as Armstead has a only a few yrs left and Trotter has the injury.

Tennessee Carl: Is Battle gonna come out?? If so, i too think he would be a great fit.

Archived