Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Prominent Safeties

apeters

How Many Games Before Landry Becomes a Starter?  

307 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Games Before Landry Becomes a Starter?

• Opening Day

Do any other teams pocess two safeties as dominant as Taylor and Landry? Is it realistic to tie up so much cap money on this position? If yes could this be a change in defensive strategy and scheme that will really showcase the safety position?

Do any other teams pocess two safeties as dominant as Taylor and Landry? Is it realistic to tie up so much cap money on this position? If yes could this be a change in defensive strategy and scheme that will really showcase the safety position?

If you watched any games last year having two all-star players at that position will do us great justice. Our secondary was horrific last year. Kenny and Mike, Fox and Vincent were just fill in the blank players. Having these two guys will change things around big time, be it coverage, run stopping or blitzing on third down.

The only team that I can think of that has 2 dominant safeties is Baltimore with Ed Reed and Dawan Landry. However, they play a different system that we do and their safeties are free to go into coverage more as their front 7 (especially their front 3) are able to eat up space and open holes for their LB's.

The only team that I can think of that has 2 dominant safeties is Baltimore with Ed Reed and Dawan Landry. However, they play a different system that we do and their safeties are free to go into coverage more as their front 7 (especially their front 3) are able to eat up space and open holes for their LB's.

Laron is Dawan's brother, and while Dawan is good, I have a feeling that Laron is going to be much better. He will be one of the elite safeties in the league.

I think Denver has a pretty good safety combo if I remeber (infact it got me nnt'd) .

I do think that there is some stuff in GW playbook that hes trying to get a second great safety for. Maybe there are some more CB/LB blitzs GW is trying to put into play.

Maybe I'm wrong but what I seen from Landry is a sure tackler not a KO Artist like Taylor. R. Williams get beat over the top to much for me & money is not the only reason Hamlin not back in Seattle. Before I crown ST & LL as the best or top 5 I want to see the kid play 1st.

Landry plays a clean, compact game, sorta like brian dawkins. When you watch ST and compare him to Dawkins, his body flails alot more and he just looks very long and lean. Not as precise, but deadly.

That isn't a knock on Taylor whatsoever, but when you watch Landry, the guy is like Iceman from Topgun, never makes a mistake (sorry about that lol). Wraps up, looks very clean when he plays. It's kindof an abstract thing I'm describing, does anyone else recognize know what i'm sayin?

There is plenty of precidence for having two outstanding safeties on the same team.

Most recently, the Eagles' Brian Dawkins and Michael Lewis were both Pro Bowl safeties in '04 and '05. Dawkins was a high pick, Lewis was not, however. The 49ers' Merton Hanks and Tim McDonald both made the Pro Bowl in '94 and '95. Neither of them were high picks, although McDonald had a well-established record when he came to San Francisco. The Cowboys' Cliff Harris and Charlie Waters made the Pro Bowl together in '76, '77, and '78. In 1976, George Allen brought in Super Bowl VII MVP Jake Scott to play with future Hall of Famer Ken Houston. They were a pretty good duo, but both were nearing the end of their careers. They played together three seasons before Scott was let go after the '78 season.

Possibly the most celebrated safety combo of all time (at least recently) was Denver's Dennis Smith and Steve A****er. Both were first round draft picks, albeit 8 years apart. Smith was a 6-time Pro Bowler and A****er was an 8-time Pro Bowler. They played together from '89 to '94 and made the Pro Bowl together 3 times. Physically, they actually resemble this new tandem in Washington. A****er, like Taylor, was a jumbo-sized free safety who was an adept center fielder. And Smith had many of the same attributes as Landry at strong safety -- both about the same size, both speedy; both were big hitters in the running game but could cover, as well. Of course, both Taylor and Landry have yet to realize their games at the pro level. But the potential is there.

Whether or not any team has tied up so much money in two safeties is another question, altogether. I'd have to say no. The Skins seem to be moving into uncharted territory. Although it might not have precedent, it's not neccessarily a mistake. If you look at the way the game is evolving, safeties are playing ever bigger roles. Teams with two safeties who can cover and support the run could be at a huge advantage with so many offenses spreading the field with multiple receiver sets.

We shall see ...

Archived