Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC Documentarist lives with The Phelps'

MonkFan8

Just finished watching this documentary which aired a few days ago in the UK. It features Louis Theroux as he lives with the Phelps family for three weeks.

For those who don't know, the Phelps are members (the only members) of the Westboro Baptist Church who make it a point to visit the funerals of soldier's (As well as others) to preach their hate filled views. Before watching this documentary I was only familiar with them from the infamous Hannity and Colmes clip, and a few other news pieces I've seen about the "family".

I'm all for free speech, but I think these people's actions are despicable. I feel pretty bad for their kids as well. Hell, the daughters seem like given any other situation they would be perfectly "normal" members of society.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this with anyone that hasn't seen it, because (IMO) it's fascinating.

. The others should show up after the first has finished, and can also be found in the section to the right of the video.

I watched the Documentary on Sunday as it aired here. I couldn't decide if it was funny or sad. Its clear that the senior members of the family are plain nuts but the kids and teenagers seemed to be savable and had a kind of look in there eyes that said that they understood the madness of it all.

In any case, it seemed to me that the Phelps just fed off the antipathy that they create towards themselves, for them it justifies their beliefs and actions. Its clear that all the picketing, especially the Soldiers funerals are designed to not just to create publicity but to deliberately isolate themselves and in particular the younger members from wider society. By doing so the preacher guys can increase his control over them.

The answer to these guys is engagement (with the younger ones) not confrontation. However, that pretty hard to do considering all the pain and hurt they are causing along the way. I know that if I were one of the soldiers families I'd want to take some of my grief out on them too.

Wow. I've only watched the first two videos, but damn, I got chills watching just that. These types of people are very frightening. It's good to see people calling them on their insanity. And I even enjoyed Hannity calling the daughter evil and soulless. Can't wait to see the rest.

I remember watching Michael Moore's The Awful Truth years ago and the Phelps were out protesting a homosexual's funeral--absolutely despicable. And to protest soldiers' funerals, too? I just can't believe these people haven't been murdered yet. Absolutely the worst of the worst. Almost makes me with there was a god and a hell so these people could rot in it for eternity.

But then I'd be there, too, so . . .

That fifth video was intense. The journalist finally got to "interview" Phelps and all he did was berate and belittle the guy without answering any of his questions. Sure-fire sign of someone talking out of both sides of his ass. There are some really sick people out there. And when that little boy got hit with a soda. The kids are the ones who probably get the brunt of repercussions when people strike out at the group. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.

That fifth video was intense. The journalist finally got to "interview" Phelps and all he did was berate and belittle the guy without answering any of his questions.
Take a listen to this. It's Pastor Phelps and another preacher of opposite views going at it. Pretty sad how Phelps needs to completely avoid all of the valid points, and then trys to pretend like the other guy is ignorant.

Take a listen to this. It's Pastor Phelps and another preacher of opposite views going at it. Pretty sad how Phelps needs to completely avoid all of the valid points, and then trys to pretend like the other guy is ignorant.

Yeah, he pretty much just quotes two different verses from the bible repeatedly and berates anyone who asks him questions about his beliefs, and, like most people who have little argument he tries to rope people into yes or no answers to broad-based questions that normally have very little to do with anything. He's just an angry, tired old man.

Archived