Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs: HIS FINALE AND LEGACY

lovemaskins

This offseason's moves got me thinking.... We haven't spent much money and most of the moves have been savvy and deliberate. Now I'm not implying that we're suddenly the best FO by any means, but I think the Redskins have something up their sleave. Here me out?!

The 2007 season will be Joe Gibbs 4th season back. I think he has had some success even with the regression of last season. I think he is learning from his mistakes and has a new plan. I've been reading from some posters that we are "creating cap space", from others "we need to draft better", and from JG "we like our current approach". So I got to thinking in terms of being sleuthful, and I've come to the conclusion that we are preparing to make a mega splash next year.

By reasonably staying under the cap this year, and with an escalating salary cap we would be in a great position going into next off-season. Now I'm not trying to put the cart before the horse here, but I really don't see us contending for a Super Bowl in 07. Therefore, "if" we continue to be frugile this year and don't trade away any of next years draft picks(cross my fingers), we'll have a full draft and money to spend.

We already have players in key positions all over the field so I won't go there, but with the addition of a Laron Landry or Jamaal Anderson etc...(or Gaines, or Branch, or Okoye for you man crush fans, to me it makes no difference as long as we draft DL or DB), we'd go into next season solid with all of our options for the '08 season. We'd probably have a mid to late round pick and money to burn in FA. Our QB would seasoned with an arsenal of weapons and our D poised for domination (if next years picks are used correctly i.e. DL and depth). We'd seriously be in position to "contend" for a championship.

Now I'm really trying to be sensible here, not a homer, but our FO could really be onto something. Joe could ultimately accomplish his goal of directing our beloved Redskins into the direction we the fans want, and ride off into the sunset like "Wyatt Earp and his Immortals" ending his second stint, not only a hero but also a legend to the new generation of Redskins' fans who are to young to remember the glory years. Gibbs career as a Hall of Fame coach would be unquestionable for his entire career, not just the first part of it, and 08 would be one to remember for the ages. :2cents: :peace1:

Like the glass half empty approach but I worry that in a couple of years we'll be in the rebuilding process. So, this year and next are our best chance to make a run. We're fairly young at the skill positions but we need depth at OL, DL, and LB. Those spots aren't getting any younger. If we do fairly well the next couple of years, we will have to rely on our FO/scouts to draft/pick up good players that will continue any positive momentum we create for this franchise in the next two years. Nice post :cheers:

HTTR

^^ Just agree. It feels better. :D

What else do we fans have besides hope? This team has given us plenty of reason to hope this offseason. Anyone claiming we don't have major potential on paper is crazy. Right now, the paper part is all we have... so we all should be excited. Like Santana Moss said at the beginning of our final game against the Giants some months ago... something along the lines of "We wanna show we aint the team, as bad as we looked this year, everyone thinks we are".

They'll show it.

Like the glass half empty approach but I worry that in a couple of years we'll be in the rebuilding process. So, this year and next are our best chance to make a run. We're fairly young at the skill positions but we need depth at OL, DL, and LB. Those spots aren't getting any younger. If we do fairly well the next couple of years, we will have to rely on our FO/scouts to draft/pick up good players that will continue any positive momentum we create for this franchise in the next two years. Nice post :cheers:

HTTR

I'd like to see it as half full, we're a few players away and with a full draft and money to spend in FA we could be in great shape. The patriots and colts have given the league good blueprints to follow. You can't concentrate on building your team with just one tool. I'd like to see use the draft and draft seven draftees for once. I think we'd have impact players all over the field but also quality, (one more time) quality depth. But thanks for the input

I really believe in old Joe and I think he knows that he knows what he's doing. Last years off-season had some mistakes because he shook things up, now I think we'll truely keep the team together but like most teams just add the right pieces and draft accordingly. We could potentially resign Cooley, one or two big names and then draft best player instead of need. That way when the Springs' of the world get injured we won't be subbing the Jimoh's and have the bull's eye on the D and keys to the offense. We could finally become a balanced football team instead of having holes all over the field. :cool:

Archived