Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

America's Game and HOF, Why do they hate us?

Rodriggo

Now that we've reached the end of the top twenty countdown of the greatest Super Bowl teams in history as voted on by Mike Francesa, Bryant Gumbel, Bob Costas, Adam Schefter, Len Pasquarelli, Chris Berman, Joe Buck, and Peter King, all great Super Bowl champions in their own right, all loved, it becomes painfully obvious how much the media establishment loves everybody else BUT us. One Redskins team in the top twenty is to be expected but to not even make the top ten, to have the injustice of having to be kept out in favor of four Steelers and Niners teams, a post-FA Denver and New England, and being 11 spots behind an 85' Bears team which we beat in the playoffs, in successive years, in Chicago, in 86' and 87', is ridiculuous. We all know we weren't the best, I'll give you the 89' Niners, 85' Bears, 86' Giants, 92' Cowboys, 72' Dolphins, any ONE of the Steelers teams, maybe even the 76' Raiders, but nobody and I mean NOBODY other than those teams were better than our 91' Skins. Nobody.

Yet I watched that episode on that 91' Redskins team and it wasn't a study on the innovation of Joe Gibbs, the art of the power running game and the absolute mastery of the offensive line, it's about painting this team in the image of Mark Rypien who is portrayed, even after the fact of leading his team to a 17-2 record and Super Bowl MVP performance, as a Johnny-Come-Lately loser. Why does he have to be recast in this light a decade on now from leading that team to a championship? He and that team always has to make excuses for itself when it's vaulted into the national limelight, why? We kicked ass that year, just as much if not more than anybody else in the Super Bowl era, why must we begrudgingly be given a spot at 14 and watch others be mentioned twice over?

I see other episodes and they gush about the innovation and personalities of Bill Walsh, Chuck Knoll, and Lombardi. The defenses and offenses that led those teams to championships and yet we, the GREATEST OFFENSIVE LINE IN THE HISTORY OF PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL are portrayed as a boring squad of no names that was bent on avenging the body bag game? Give me a ******* break! The Eagles wish they meant that much. We ******* owned the Eagles, we wiped our ***** with the Eagles, we won THREE ******* SUPER BOWL rings from 82'-91' and the Eagles didn't win a ******* playoff game. We lost more than they ever played for. Where's the respect, where's the love for the HOGS? That line broke the Super Bowl record for rushing yards in a game not once but twice! One of those times was with Timmy ******* Smith! I say again, TIMMY SMITH.

What is it? Is it the fact that we won two strike season championships? What do they want us to do, give them back? Our bad, we kicked ass when there happened to be a strike, sorry. Didn't get the memo about mailing it in. You want to shoot down the 87' team fine. But 82'? We went back to the Super Bowl in 83' does that not justify their inclusion? It should just as much as the 96' Packers. I can't believe it's the strike because I don't think for a minute that it would have affected the 87' Niners had they won their first of three in a row, do you? I don't know what it is but our teams are the most disrespected and overlooked. We won more Super Bowls than the Giants and Bears, we did so in dominant fashion, with classy, talented, charismatic, and record breaking teams yet we get NO love, why?

Just as I'm contemplating that question I turn on NFL network to see that Thurman Thomas and Michael Irvin have made it into the Hall of Fame. A couple of years back I ranted about certain media personalities and more intelligent, wiser members of this forum suggested I not pay attention to them anymore. As a result I no longer watch any pre or post game shows, I don't watch Inside the NFL and life has been good. They were right about these guys being morons. Now it is time to stop giving a **** about the HOF. We shouldn't make an effort for them to induct Monk, because let's be honest if they would rather induct this duo then our #81 then they don't deserve his greatness.

Irvin I can understand sort of, he was a great player. He's also a trainwreck of a human being who was pissed off that Alvin Harper caught a game winning ball instead of him, and he single handedly destroyed the dynastic Cowboys with his off the field incidents. He is Hall worthy nonetheless, just not sooner and certainly not before Monk gets in. But Thurman Thomas? The guy that has 0 Super Bowl rings, 0 Super Bowl highlights, and actually missed the first series of a Super Bowl game he lost to Monk and our Skins by misplacing his helmet? THAT ******* LOSER??!!! That my friends is the proverbial straw. The HOF is dead to me now. It is meaningless. Now more than ever this franchise and us fans have to claw and grab for every ounce of respect and recognition because even in the face of greatness and video evidence, as was the case made on this forum for #81, the sports writers, and television media of this country will NEVER willingly give it to us.

**** YOU HOF! **** YOU NFL FILMS!

P.S. **** YOU NFL! For not paying for Wilbur Marshall's disability coverage.

Now more than ever we must be united as fans and have a ******* KICK ASS 2007.

GO SKINS!

I often ask that to myself. If one is being a mere observer, when you look at the attributes of past Redskins teams and players, and then how consistently they are disrespected, then you wonder.

I believe it is a mixture of factors: Folks who are influential either rooted for teams or played on teams the 'Skins beat; the fact that the 'Skins teams weren't always flashy (and when they had a little flash, such as the Fun Bunch, that probably created hatred); and some Snyder hatred thrown in for good mix.

As you stated, the '91 teams were one of the greatest, most dominant teams ever. And not because I really like that team, but you can look at the pure stastics and see their sheer power. They were that good. Damn good. (And, unlike most Redskins teams since that time, they were actually FUN to watch.)

And never mind the annual Monk HOF slight.

The NFL players know, and many of the fans who are old enough generally know. They remember the great Gibbs teams, remember the FEAR of playing the Redskins, especially in RFK, and do not underestimate their impact during the great years in the 80's and early 90's. The media may be trying to rewrite the past in a rather Orwellian sports fashion, but WE REMEMBER.

Hail to the Redskins.

Don't know, ( and don't know if it's all hate out there or whatever), and don't care. If some or many in the media wish to be the way that many perceive them to be, then so be it. The Redskins and many of their players' accomplishments are a matter of record and there for all to see. Can't take those away. Can try to diminish them, but can't take them away. They speak for themselves. And that's going to have to be enough, (except the HOF of course).

I am appalled at the IDEA that Michael Irvin is more deserving of a spot in the Hall than is Art Monk. Monk was the EPITOME of Role Model. It was about TEAM for Art. Michael was a GREAT player and helped his team to Super Bowl victories, that said he was lacking in the character department. Art had EVERY receiving record that was meaningful when he left the game AND helped his team to Super Bowl victories. Could the NFL REALLY overlook such a class act and reward a player CONVICTED of cocaine use? Sadly this was answered today. CERTAINLY Michael will fit into the criminal wing of the Hall with O.J., A player I watched in amazement as a boy. My memories of O.J. and football have since parted. I would MUCH rather tell my son or daughter about the class, grace and style of an Art Monk, Walter Payton or a Kellen Winslow than I would having to explain the exploits of an O.J. or A Michael Irvin and the questions that would inevitably follow. Why is he HERE Dad???? I think that the NFL needs to re assess the voting panel. Fans will NOT be happy about the passing over of HALL OF FAMER, Art Monk Again, Sincerely Claimer :logo: :point2sky

Archived