Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone seen Merril's latest gem?

BuckeyeSkins

to most people around the NFL going back to Wuerffel IS an act of pure stubbornness.

others may sugar coat the way they describe the change and tone it down from Hoge's frontal assault, but the bottom line is no one thinks Wuerffel is worth a plug nickel on an NFL football field.

and Spurrier merely saying otherwise isn't going to make those doubts go away.

here is a team that had the #10 defense in the NFL last year and the #24 offense.

where are we now? #9 on defense and #26 on offense.

big deal.

all that offseason work and change in personnel to still get the worst or second worst qb rating in the NFC for our starters.

IT'S THE QUARTERBACK STUPID!

14 changes in 10 years.

the one year we got solid quarterbacking in 1999 we won the East and won a playoff game.

all the other years we had middling to awful play, the team finished as an also-ran.

There are other factors of course in building a championship team, but addressing the qb position adequately is a nice way to see some quick movement up the leader board :)

It's a lesson Marty didn't learn here, but did learn in San Diego where they finally dispensed with Doug Flutie and went with Drew Brees.........

nothing hodge has written rubs me the wrong way. wuerffel has never shown anything worthwhile in the nfl (pre-season excluded :rolleyes: ). why start him? ramsey has the tools to have a legit shot at getting things done. if not this year, then maybe next year if he has experienced the nfl style game this year. keeping ramsey on the bench is not a luxuary that we have. to do so, you'd need to have a solid vet starting for you, which we obviously don't have. get ramsey into the game.

I am beginning to think it is more important for Spurrier to win HIS way than it is for him just to win.

And given how competitive the NFL is and how people adapt to what you are trying to do in schemes, that is a potentially fatal flaw.

Wuerffel is out there because Spurrier is still clinging to the notion that if he continues to believe he can will the team into being productive on offense with his selected quarterbacks.

I will agree that SOS has been stubborn and bullheaded with a lot of decisions he's made, partiuclarly at the QB position. I maybe be looking throuh rose colored glasses but I hope it's a learning experience for him and he grows from it.

But for Hoge to say things like he knows nothing about the NFL, doesn't know how to win in the NFL and doesn't know how to manage are just pure biased BS on his part. No, he doesn't know as much about the NFL as other coaches do, doesn't manage as well as he can and is still trying to win in the NFL. But it just seems to me that Hoge has an axe to grind with SOS and wouldn't say anything good if it were the last thing he did.

I will agree that SOS has done some things that most of us are pulling our hair out over and he'll probably keep doing it until the season ends but as I said I HOPE this is a learning experience for him.

I'm as frustrated with the Skins as everyone else is but it really bugs me as to why most of the so called experts have done nothing but badmouth, nitpick and point fingers at Spurrier. He hasn't done anything any worse then Jimmie Johnson did when he first came into the league and I don't remember everyone coming down hard on him.

Just venting and my 2 cents.

yep, Spurrier ran the ball in Seattle for 150 yards and even with that as a screen his measly pass offense only put up 14 points and less than 50% completions.

This offense is ranked #26 in the NFL. That is a fact that is not subject to debate.

Spurrier took over the offense and gave the defense to Lewis and the special teams to Stock.

Well, the offense and the special teams have stunk.

And the defense, though solid for the most part, ain't the 2000 Ravens folks.

it only took Lewis what? 3? 4? years before that D in Baltimore was a brick wall? damn....10 games into the season and all the sudden he sucks. Maybe getting him on rent wasn't a good idea.

However, besides starting Ramsey...what else SHOULD Spurrier do? Just leave Gardner, Thompson and Jackson as our starting WR's? What about McCants?

What about Watson or Rock or whoever? what SHOULD he do?

Originally posted by MRMADD

If fixing the QB position will return us to glory, why is it that an unheralded backup can motor the Rams to victory?

Here's a hint: it's not just the QB. It's the supporting cast. It's having a balanced offense.

I agree.... our receivers suck for the most part, Our line sucks, Even if DW sucks, it can't suck any worse.

I have no problem with Merrill Hodge's comments, and I'm tired of everyone around here griping about how the Skins get such a bad wrap from the media. The fact is, SS was brought in to improve the Offense. At this point, the O is less effective than it was last year. Rightfully so, that deserves criticism.

Originally posted by bulldog

I am beginning to think it is more important for Spurrier to win HIS way than it is for him just to win.

EXACTLY

I think Hodge's biggest problem, and a lot of these talking heads feel the same, is that when they've met, or been in the presence of SOS, he treats them like they are nothing to him. He knows, and they know he knows, that he was more successful than them in his teens,20's,30's,40's and into his 50's he still is more popular, makes more money,ect...And the truth is SOS WANTS to get in their head, he always has.

I don't have a problem with what he said. Wake up guys, people like Lenny P and Hoge's comments might sound harsh, but it's reality. If you weren't a Skins fan you'd be laughing right along.

4 QB changes, various line changes, cutting your return man, and putting the guy you call up to replace him on the inactive list, throwing a ridiculous amount of times (70% in last 2 games) players not knowing if they'll be inactive til gametime, how many more boneheaded moves does Spurrier have to come up with til you see that Spurrier is doing a horrible job, and is in over his head right now.

Originally posted by mphilips16

I have no problem with Merrill Hodge's comments, and I'm tired of everyone around here griping about how the Skins get such a bad wrap from the media. The fact is, SS was brought in to improve the Offense. At this point, the O is less effective than it was last year. Rightfully so, that deserves criticism.

Amen. What is up with this blind Spurrier loyalty??

Fact is he's done a crappy job this year. Sure he's learning the pro game, doesn't have his kind of players, etc. But he has shown pitiful management and communication skills with his players.

He's the captain of this ship, and right now he's managed to run them aground, and he can't figure out why.

My problem with Hodge(?) stems from his criticism of Spurrier earlier this season. It is CRYSTAL CLEAR that he simply does not like SOS and will take every opportunity to denegrate him, the fact that RIGHT NOW he is correct is irrelevent, Merill has a SS bug up his arse for some reason and he lets it color his judgement. The ONLY time I saw him say anything positive was when the Skins came out and won after he(Merill) clearly stated that SOS's offense COULD NOT work in the NFL...then he appeared to jump on the Skins bandwagon...at which point the wheels promptly fell off..

While Spurrier is probably being pig-headed by starting DW, not to mention all but forgetting how to run the ball, Merill IS an idiot, period. Even when Jaws showed him how his criticisms were wrong, he STILL refused to acknowledge that SS might become a good NFL coach. He's biased, and as such, is an a$$.

Archived