Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

is this Deja Vu?

Thinking Skins

The situation that we're in is strikingly similar to what happened when Gibbs left, where we just substitute Marty in gor Richie. They got Richie in there for a year not to be a coach of the future or anything, but just to fill the vaccancy until someone better came along. Then we went and got the hot prodigy Norv Turner who then led us to one of the worse stretches since before the George Allen era.

I think Marty is getting treated the same way. I just hope that Spurrier doesn't become another Norv. But the more I look at our current situation, the more and more I dislike it.

I disagree. Richie was not going to be another Walsh or Gibbs but he got dealt a poor hand. The team was aging, players like Marshall and Clark were set to leave in the first year of free agency, and the #1 picks from 1991 and 1992, Bobby Wilson and Desmond Howard, did not become contributors for the team.

the current Redskins team has a good young core of talent, what is required now is a couple of well-timed moves to acquire the right quarterback and use the draft to the maximum effect to bring in some younger linemen to add to the defense.

there is every chance with the meteoric rise of teams like New Orleans in 2000 and the Bears, Patriots, Steelers and 49ers in 2001 that the Redskins can make a move to win the division in 2002 and be a legitimate threat to win the conference as well.

what it will take is a change in philosophy, a change to becoming more of an attack offense that can get our defense a 10-14 point lead to work with.

that kind of offense requires excellent coaching on that side of the ball. And quite frankly, while Marty and Kurt Schottenheimer did an excellent job with the defense in 2000, it is clear Marty did not hire the most talented coaches to assist him on offense. He hired his friends.

And they let him down. Raye underestimated Stephen Davis' ability to handle a heavy load at running back until the 5th week of the season and this lead to 3 and out drives that allowed opponents to control the clock and run 60 plays each week.

At the same time our offensive line coach, Joe Pendry, had never held that job before. And we had 3 players starting in the interior that had not been with the team in 2000. That kind of turnover begged for the efforts of the best position coach possible to manage the unit. In my opinion, we got less than that.

The decision to hire his own son as quarterbacks coach was a clear mistake by Schottenheimer. His son clearly has not paid his dues in the NFL to assume a full-time job as a position coach. You would never see Bill Parcells or Joe Gibbs show this kind of blatant nepotism in assembling their staffs. With the problems this team had at quarterback with the mercurial Jeff George and then Tony Banks there was a clear need for an established presence in the booth to ride shotgun for Marty and all that Brian Schottenheimer offered was one year of unpaid work 2 years ago with the Rams.

I disagree. Richie was not going to be another Walsh or Gibbs but he got dealt a poor hand. The team was aging, players like Marshall and Clark were set to leave in the first year of free agency, and the #1 picks from 1991 and 1992, Bobby Wilson and Desmond Howard, did not become contributors for the team.

the current Redskins team has a good young core of talent, what is required now is a couple of well-timed moves to acquire the right quarterback and use the draft to the maximum effect to bring in some younger linemen to add to the defense.

there is every chance with the meteoric rise of teams like New Orleans in 2000 and the Bears, Patriots, Steelers and 49ers in 2001 that the Redskins can make a move to win the division in 2002 and be a legitimate threat to win the conference as well.

what it will take is a change in philosophy, a change to becoming more of an attack offense that can get our defense a 10-14 point lead to work with.

that kind of offense requires excellent coaching on that side of the ball. And quite frankly, while Marty and Kurt Schottenheimer did an excellent job with the defense in 2000, it is clear Marty did not hire the most talented coaches to assist him on offense. He hired his friends.

And they let him down. Raye underestimated Stephen Davis' ability to handle a heavy load at running back until the 5th week of the season and this lead to 3 and out drives that allowed opponents to control the clock and run 60 plays each week.

At the same time our offensive line coach, Joe Pendry, had never held that job before. And we had 3 players starting in the interior that had not been with the team in 2000. That kind of turnover begged for the efforts of the best position coach possible to manage the unit. In my opinion, we got less than that.

The decision to hire his own son as quarterbacks coach was a clear mistake by Schottenheimer. His son clearly has not paid his dues in the NFL to assume a full-time job as a position coach. You would never see Bill Parcells or Joe Gibbs show this kind of blatant nepotism in assembling their staffs. With the problems this team had at quarterback with the mercurial Jeff George and then Tony Banks there was a clear need for an established presence in the booth to ride shotgun for Marty and all that Brian Schottenheimer offered was one year of unpaid work 2 years ago with the Rams.

Archived