Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Video Evidence: The Case For Monk in The HOF

PoundingPortis

Its a damn shaame that Monk did't maake it into the hall, of all peeople Irvin, people I'm sick over this.:mad: :hammer: :feedback: Its ****ed up.

With each year, the excuses given by the sports writers who vote get more and more lame. This year Len Shapiro just appears on local NBC4 news in DC and suggested that Monk's post-season numbers vs. Irvin's numbers may have been the reason he was overlooked. Total and complete BS.

Monk's numbers actually improved in the playoffs particularly his yards per catch from 13.5 in the regular season to 15.4. Irvin's numbers went down from 15.9 to 15.1. So much for the other weak argument that they never went deep to him in key games.

I wish the Hall carried no weight with the men who played the game since the voters are exclusively made up of sports writers who never played. But, since it does mean a lot to them, all we can hope for is that these excuses run out while Monk is still young enough to enjoy his rightful inductions.

Next year, if Cris Carter, who has followed the desired pattern of joining the media after his career, gets in before Monk we all will be just as sick.

What worries me is that if a video like this, that refutes MANY of the arguments against letting Monk in, cannot change the minds of the voters, what can? It's becoming more and more obvious that his denial into the Hall is because of pettiness and personal grudges. Each year we hear a different reason. It went from "You can't make it into the Hall of Fame catching 800 8 yard hooks," to "What is his one signature catch?" I wonder what they will come up with next year...

The thing that gets me, is that Art Monk is the kind of player the NFL WANTS all of their players to emulate, and Michael Irvin is the kind of player that they are trying to crack down on. With all of the recent penalties put in place for celebrations and Goodell's latest statements about teams being held accountable for player actions, you'd think it would have been the perfect time to send a strong message. If you go to work, be humble, perform well, and keep your nose clean, good things will happen to you. Instead, the message sent was, if you perform well, act like an attention whore, get arrested, and join the media after retirement, you will be rewarded.

And I feel that off the field actions absolutely SHOULD be taken into account. As another member stated in another thread; if another reciever comes along and breaks all of Rice's records and is found to be a child molester, should that not matter? Is that the kind of person you want to take your family to Canton to see?

I don't know, maybe next year......

With each year, the excuses given by the sports writers who vote get more and more lame. This year Len Shapiro just appears on local NBC4 news in DC and suggested that Monk's post-season numbers vs. Irvin's numbers may have been the reason he was overlooked. Total and complete BS.
This makes me feel like Shapiro maybe isn't the best suited for the task of advocating for Monk ... his postseason stats should be one of his strongest assets. This might have been a bad year for Wilbon to leave the committee.

Monk's numbers actually improved in the playoffs particularly his yards per catch from 13.5 in the regular season to 15.4. Irvin's numbers went down from 15.9 to 15.1. So much for the other weak argument that they never went deep to him in key games.

I wish the Hall carried no weight with the men who played the game since the voters are exclusively made up of sports writers who never played. But, since it does mean a lot to them, all we can hope for is that these excuses run out while Monk is still young enough to enjoy his rightful inductions.

Next year, if Cris Carter, who has followed the desired pattern of joining the media after his career, gets in before Monk we all will be just as sick.

I may be wrong but I do not see where sports writers should even have the credential to vote players into the HoF. They pull out a lot of stats to try and support the players that they want in but they have not really played or coached with or against these athletes and they, obviously, do not know what makes a great player great because they keep getting it wrong. I am not just talking about Monk, they took forever with Swann, Stallworth, Wright, Carson and others.

This is not "PTI" or "Around the Horn" where they can sit back and play with each other. They are voting for what these guys has busted their azzes to achieve.

*Sigh*

Post Season Stats:

Monk:

Rec: 69

Yards:1062

TD's:7

Games:15

100 yard games:4

y/game:70.8

y/rec: 15.4

Irvin:

Rec:87

Yards:1314

TD's:8

Games:16

100 yard games:6

y/game:82.1

y/rec:15.1

Other's whom are being compared to Monk

Lofton:

Rec:41

Yards:749

Games:12

100 yard games:3

y/game:62.4

y/rec:18.2

Reed:

Rec:85

Yards:1230

TD's:9

Games:19

100 yard games:5

y/game:64.7

y/rec:14.4

C.Carter:

Rec:63

Yards:860

Games:14

100 yard games:2

y/game:61.4

y/rec:13.7

T. Brown:

Rec:45

Yards:581

TD's:3

Games:12

100 yard games:1

y/game:48.4

y/rec:12.9

The other two recievers on the Redskins whom people feel were better in the playoffs than Monk:

R.Sanders:

Rec:31

Yards:517

TD's:2

Games:11

100 yard games:1

y/game:47

y/rec:16.6

Clark:

Rec:58

Yards:826

TD's:6