Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DVD Player Help

BayouBrave86

Hey I got my mom a DVD player as one of her Christmas presents but the thing is the T.V. I got it for doesn't have the video/audio input/output type deals on the back but it does have the Comcast digital cable box next to it with the cable connecting the two. I tried hooking up the DVD player to the Digital box but I can't seem to get it to work. Is there a set-up I have to do on the t.v.? If not, is there a cord that I can buy at Best Buy or something to make the DVD player work through the digital box?

Any help would be much appreciated and Merry Christmas. :cheers:

What you're looking for is an RF Modulator. It converts the composite signal (Red, White, Yellow wires) to a single coaxial signal (what the cable box uses). Your best bet is the local Radio Shack. You should be able to pick one up for $20.

Keep in mind tho that you may need to get a coaxial splitter so that you're not switching wires between the dvd player and the cable box in the back of the TV since it probably only has one coaxial input.

What you're looking for is an RF Modulator. It converts the composite signal (Red, White, Yellow wires) to a single coaxial signal (what the cable box uses). Your best bet is the local Radio Shack. You should be able to pick one up for $20.

Keep in mind tho that you may need to get a coaxial splitter so that you're not switching wires between the dvd player and the cable box in the back of the TV since it probably only has one coaxial input.

Agreed. Lots of places have the things.

The DVD player puts out a "line-level" signal. It's at the frequency that the interior of the TV works at. But, your TV doesn't have a way to inject that signal into the TV.

The modulator box has a coax connector that takes the signal in from the cable box, a coax connector that feeds signal to the TV, and the three line-level jacks from the DVD player. (And it will take power from a transformer.)

When there's no signal on the line-level jacks, (when the DVD player is turned off, for example), the modulator just allows the signal from the cable box to pass through. When there is a signal from the DVD player, then the modulator will modulate that signal, making it appear, to your TV, like the DVD signal is coming in on channel 4. (Most of them have a switch to let you pick channel 3 or 4.)

(If your cable box is putting out it's signal on channel 3 or 4, then I'd set up the modulator on the same channel. That way, the TV shows whatever channel the cable box is showing (when the DVD is off), or DVDs (when the DVD is on), without you having to change channels on the TV itself.)

(One note about who this will work, though. Most DVD players put our some signal whenever they're turned on. (The manufacturer's logo or something.) So, once it's hooked up, if you want to watch TV, you can't just push "stop" on the DVD, you have to turn it off.)

Archived