Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2005 = 2006 in the NFC East??

TD_washingtonredskins

I started thinking about this after comparing this year's Eagles to last year's Redskins...they just seem to be the team that has caught fire late in the year this year.

So, I propose that 2006 will be very similar to 2005 in the East...with just all 4 teams taking on a different role.

Giants

Redskins

Cowboys

Eagles

The Giants jumped out quickly and coasted to the division title only to lose in the first round of the playoffs.

The Redskins got hot in December and rode that streak to a wild card berth, first round win, and semi-competitive game @ Seattle in the divisional playoff. They were the best team in the division by the time their season ended.

The Cowboys played well for a lot of the year and had a playoff berth in their sights late in the season before losing some key December games and being edged out by Washington.

Despite a promising start, the Eagles suffered through internal turmoil and injuries to limp to 6-10 and finish a distant last in the division.

2006 (projected)

Cowboys

Eagles

Giants

Redskins

The Cowboys started strong and have hit a bump or two in the road since. I see them losing to Philly this week and then winning the following week (with the Eagles losing) and holding onto the East.

The Eagles were left for dead after dropping the game to the Titans and losing McNabb. I believe they lost one more game after that, but have played well since with Garcia. They will finish off a 3-game road sweep of divisional opponents this weekend before running out of gas in the season finale. I still think that will be enough to finish second in the East and make the playoffs at 9-7.

The Giants were riding high this Fall before dropping 4 straight and 5 of their last 6 (I think). I see them finishing out of the playoff picture.

The Redskins never got started and have dealt with some bad play, a couple injuries, and internal issues and will limp home with probably 10 losses. They had a short resurgence in September when they blew out Houston and beat Jacksonville in OT and many thought the offense was clicking...but that was just a mirage. They were plagued by defensive problems and inconsistency on offense all year long.

Well, that's my comparison...it seems like a very similar year (assuming the next couple weeks go according to my script). It just struck me as kind of interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived