Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What the Media Has to Say About Campbell & His NFL Debut

redskinsunshine

From Howard Bryant's chat (WP)

Washington, D.C.:
Campbell did not look bad yesterday. What this game showed me with the additional passes, deep outs and the increased mobility is Gibbs played a QB, in Brunell, that handicapped his team. Am I mistaken in that thought?

Howard Bryant:
I think you saw what everybody saw. I thought Jason did very well.

Fairfax, Va.:
It seems to me that Jason Campbell is a much better fit in this offense then Brunell. He showed some poise, ability to be mobile in the pocket and a beautiful arm. I think the biggest component in Campbell's game is that if he could develop some chemistry with his receivers. What did you think of Campbell's performance?

Howard Bryant:
I thought that Jason played very well. No panic moves. No penalties. he made a couple of plays with his feet, and for a team that did not run behind him, did not turn the ball over.

From Jason LaCanfora blog (WP):

Let's start with the good. I liked everything I saw from Jason Campbell. That went much better from his standpoint than I think anyone could have expected. He showed everything that I expected in the poise, confidence and intangible department, and also executed efficiently, spread the ball around, made some great throws and capitalized on his athleticism. That lack of support he received from the defense, running game and receivers (anyone still want to argue Lloyd has not been a total flop?) was appalling, yet the kid never let it get to him.

From Ryan O'Halloran's blog (WT):

The Redskins, for the first time this season, looked like an actual NFL offense against Tampa Bay. It cemented the fact that Joe Gibbs made the right decision by benching Mark Brunell and going with Jason Campbell.

Campbell surprised even me, and I've been calling for him to start since last January. He was composed in the pocket and was willing to take a hit in order to hold the ball longer. He looked comfortable on designed plays that had him move out of the pocket. And he proved he knew the offense - no timeouts because the wrong play was called and no delay of game penalties because he was confused.

I could tell as the game wore on that Al Saunders - his opening-game play call to have Campbell throw deep to Brandon Lloyd (who didn't make the play) was brilliant - was becoming more and more comfortable with Campbell.

A couple more articles discussing Campbell's first start:

from the Examiner:

Campbell earns teammates praise

John Keim, The Examiner

The safety sped through the middle, untouched and intent on making a play. Not that it mattered to Jason Campbell. He slid to his left, kept his eyes downfield, ignored the little pest tugging at his jersey and zipped a 15-yard strike to receiver James Thrash.

Later, one play after a near-costly interception, Campbell ran a bootleg to the right. Seeing Chris Cooley covered in the flat, Campbell stopped, threw back slightly across his body to Todd Yoder in the back of the end zone. Six points. The play combined savvy and arm strength.

“He made two outstanding plays,” Redskins coach Joe Gibbs said.

“If there were any positives in this game, it was [Campbell’s] play,” Redskins guard Randy Thomas said. “It was his overall decision on things. They tried to pressure him a lot and give him different looks. If we do a better job of making plays for him, we’d be in a better mood today. You did not see a first-year starter guy.”

from the Baltimore Sun

QB's coolness a hot topic

Redskins' long pass on first play was vote of confidence in Campbell

By Don Markus

[D]espite facing ample pressure from Tampa Bay's defense, Campbell made his own statement to his coaches, teammates and the team's fans: The Redskins might have found their next quarterback.

"He exceeded my expectations," Lloyd said. "You look at him, you talk to him, he doesn't say much during the week. I said earlier in the week, he looks in the mirror and he sees a 6-4 kid with an arm that can throw any ball. As reserved as he is off the field, he knows what kind of player he is, he knows what kind of athlete he is."

From Mark Maske's NFL Insider chat (WP):

UVA: Mark: Is it me or was Gibbs overly stoic about Campbell's performance? I know he's upset with the loss, but the kid was calm, threw down field, and had 2 TDs and 0 INTs. If Brunell had posted those numbers, Gibbs would have raved about him. Is this a sign that Gibbs isn't 100 percent behind the switch?

Mark Maske: I'm sure Gibbs had a great deal of disappointment accompanying the move to go to Campbell. No matter what is said publicly, there's no doubt that he and everyone else in the organization knew that was a move to give up on this season and build for next season and beyond. So it's difficult to get excited about that if you're a coach, especially a coach in Gibbs's circumstances. But it was, without a doubt, the right move, even if the Redskins don't win another game all season.

Waldorf, Md.: Marrk,

I disagree that starting Jason Campbell was giving up on the season. Campbell gives the team a better chance to win than mark Brunell. Yesterday the 'Skins had two TDS and a field goal. Brunell probably would have only gotten them a field goal, as he's done on three road games this season. I especially believe that is true if Brunell would have had to play without Clinton Portis and Santana Moss, as Campbell did Sunday.

Mark Maske: Campbell did fine under the circumstances, but the opponent was a 2-7 team. He will struggle. He will make mistakes. The Redskins will lose and lose and lose with him in there. But it's the only way for him to get better and for the team to know where he is heading into next season.

Archived