Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buying a Car

BayouBrave86

Ok, so I've found a car I'm willing to buy. Problem is the seller doesn't have the title on her just yet but wants to overnight it to me after I get the car. Before I get the title, can I still drive the car? Do I go to DMV and buy new tags anyway and put them on? How much would that cost? Just wondering.

Thanks.

Are the tags/inspection expired? If not it is not a issue,however contacting your ins agent would be wise...though there is a grace period IF you are already insured.

I would be hesitant to pay a individual(or a used car lot) in full w/o a title in hand. There are numerous instances where you end up with a salvage title or never recieve one period.

Are you sure there is no lien on it? ;)

Oh see I'm only putting a down payment on it. :) So I doubt I'm getting screwed. I'm going to be paying the rest of it in February. See the thing is, this is her car right now but she's wanting to keep the tags because she is going to put it on the new car she gets. It's a private seller and we're discussing it in further detail tomorrow. What is my grace period on insurance? And yeah I will have to get new tags for this car once I buy it, but I'm only paying like 1/2 the price right now. By the way, how much of a grace period would I have with insurance? I'm 20 currently and I'm wondering if I could do the 6 month plan, where I pay a sum at the end of every 6 months..just wondering.

Are they personalised tags? :rubeyes: otherwise I have never heard of such.

IF you currently have ins there is coverage ,otherwise there is none.

Insurance is always pay in advance ;) there are monthly,quarterly or six month payment plans usually.

Yeah, I'm under my mom's insurance through State Farm, but I only have coverage while driving her car, so what I'm doing is adding a car to the mix. So how long will I have to pay in advance my insurance for the car I'm to get tomorrow? And as for the tags I'm talking about, you're saying I should just get the tags that are on the car already with the vehicle when I purchase it? I'm meeting with her tomorrow to hammer out the final details. I'll bring that up with her. I assume they are personalized? Because she is buying a car after she sells this one to me, maybe she wants to just transfer them to her new car?

Yeah, I'm under my mom's insurance through State Farm, but I only have coverage while driving her car, so what I'm doing is adding a car to the mix. So how long will I have to pay in advance my insurance for the car I'm to get tomorrow? And as for the tags I'm talking about, you're saying I should just get the tags that are on the car already with the vehicle when I purchase it? I'm meeting with her tomorrow to hammer out the final details. I'll bring that up with her. I assume they are personalized? Because she is buying a car after she sells this one to me, maybe she wants to just transfer them to her new car?

States vary on the way they handle tags. In AL the tags go with the car. In most states you have to get new tags once you buy it. You can't get tags without a tittle. Ask her to show you the registration for the car to see who the owner is. Ask her if she has a loan on the car, and if yes then ask to see the a current statement on the loan so you can see how much is owed on the car. If the amount of the loan exceeds the down payment then how is the loan going to get paid off so the tittle will be clear for the purpose of tittling the car in your name???

Oh the car is fully paid off. The down payment is an agreement between me and the private seller, we're creating a private contract for it. So she is able to sell me the car, the problem is she has the title in Charlottesville but she is in Richmond. She said she would overnight it to me, but you are saying I would need the title to get the new tags? I need the car by tomorrow, is there anyway I can take this car back with me to school and have her just mail me the title?

Oh the car is fully paid off. The down payment is an agreement between me and the private seller, we're creating a private contract for it. So she is able to sell me the car, the problem is she has the title in Charlottesville but she is in Richmond. She said she would overnight it to me, but you are saying I would need the title to get the new tags? I need the car by tomorrow, is there anyway I can take this car back with me to school and have her just mail me the title?

yea, tell her to let you use her tags until you get the title, then you'll mail the tags back to her. she can get 30 day tags from the dmv or she can get new tags for her next car.

Archived