Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Slingbox.

G-Prime

Yes ... in my case ... it changes the channel on the host TV. I have been told there is some way to split it or something ... but I don't know what it is. If anyone knows the answer to that, I'd be interested in finding out.

You just need to have the slingbox directly connected to the cable outlet, rather than to the DVR or TV. It's just like splitting cable to two different TVs from one cable outlet.

You just need to have the slingbox directly connected to the cable outlet, rather than to the DVR or TV. It's just like splitting cable to two different TVs from one cable outlet.

I may be wrong here, but wouldn't that make it impossible to view digital cable signals or Directv signals as the cable/sat box "translates" the signal coming out of the wall?

Also, how difficult is it to manage slingbox from a distance? I am thinking of buying one to keep at my uncles house 3 hours away. (he lives in skins country, I'm

in Iggle country. If I put it at his house, my concern is that I don't want it to be a burden on him, and he's not the most tech savvy person.

I may be wrong here, but wouldn't that make it impossible to view digital cable signals or Directv signals as the cable/sat box "translates" the signal coming out of the wall?

Fron what I have heard if you have standard cable, you can run it to the box directly, so it won't mess with your TV. For digital or DirecTv it would have to run through you sat/cable box 1st. This would change your TV when you changed you sling box. The controls are done by an IR blaster that goes from Sling box to cable/Sat box and acts similiar to a remote would work.

Quoted for...

A search was done, that is why I bumped this thread rater than starting another one.

I was looking to get the Pro, needed hoping to do from multiple devices. I would like to stream from DirectTv DVR , does anyone have experience with this? Do they give you an IR blaster to change the channels and such. Also does anyone have experience controlling an xbox with it? I think it would be cool to be able to stream the video from my computer at home using sling box... using the xbox as the medium.

I use it with my DirecTV HR20 - it's really nice. Just be aware though - if you make use of the RF built into the newer DirecTV DVR's you're going to have to revert to regular old IR. It's not really a big deal, but I was used to not even being proactive enough to even point my remote at the receiver to switch my TV channel.

I was wondering if any current Slingbox owners would be willing to help me out. I'm strongly considering buying one, but I'd like to get an idea of the video quality first. Please PM me if you are a current Slingbox owner and would be willing to give me a password to check out a live sporting event sometime before NFL starts.

can anyone clarify the issue of two simultaneous users on one slingbox? Any updates on multiusers viewing the same broadcast? Also can some of you recomend brands and/or models. Todd what unit do you have?

1) Only one user at a time.

2) I have the original slingbox (more or less equivalent to the AV, not made anymore).

3) None of the current Slingboxes are truly "high def". The Solo and the Pro can take a HD input, which is nice if you are feeding it from a HD cable box. You won't be getting a HD resolution stream, but it usually looks a bit better (cleaner signal going into the box). The other main benefit is widescreen support.

4) Later this year, Sling will release a TRUE HD capable Slingbox, but it will be quite expensive compared to the other models.

It really depends on your budget, and whether or not you plan on feeding it a HD source.

BTW, I've mentioned this in the past, but the main determining factor of video quality is the upload speed of the cable/dsl at the house where you've installed the Slingbox.

thanks Todd, my friend in Va has some incredible Pro ip connection so I probably will go with a better box that supports widescreen. Thanks for the all the info. Looks like my dumping "the sunday ticket" was a good move after all. Now if I can only figure out how to feed Sonny and Sam audio through the sling box, is that possible? :-)

Archived