Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mississippi's 'cant-miss' QB

thesaftypin

Its obviously alittle old. But it lets you have alittle insight on JC's history..

"You're talking about something there that is certainly not coachable," says Campbell's high school coach, Shannon White. "We've had a couple plays this year and certainly a few big plays last year where the play that was called didn't work out, and another receiver broke off his route and it just so happened that Jason found him. It is kind of an odd thing cause you just don't teach that."

http://espn.go.com/recruiting/s/honorroll/campbell.html

Whenever JC does get into the starting slot, we will see the new era of redskins football. and well worth it.

Last night I rewatched the 2005 Sugar Bowl to reaccess what I thought of Jason Campbell. In the 3rd quarter, with about 12 minutes to play in the quarter, Jason had a 3 and 16 and was being pressured by Virginia Tech's defense. He stepped up and ran to his right and threw a 53 yard pass to Anthony Mix on the run. It was really sweet.

Last night I rewatched the 2005 Sugar Bowl to reaccess what I thought of Jason Campbell. In the 3rd quarter, with about 12 minutes to play in the quarter, Jason had a 3 and 16 and was being pressured by Virginia Tech's defense. He stepped up and ran to his right and threw a 53 yard pass to Anthony Mix on the run. It was really sweet.

That shows poor judgment. If he was super smart he would throw it three yards in that situation.

"Some folks tell me that I have a sixth sense," says top QB prospect Jason Campbell of Taylorsville (Miss.) High School, "because I'll do crazy things sometimes, like spinning out of the pocket and finding folks downfield.

- Jason Campbell

Haha, he said folks like twice

TigerSkins- LOL, how ironic because I did the same thing!

That's the beauty of some of the different skills Campbell brings to the table instead of Brunell, Collins, ad others. If you watch the "Fighting Soldiers" DVD Al Borges talks about assessing a QB during "money time". This is basically when you can toss the playbook out the window, the pressure is on, and a QB must improvise with his own skill. They'll either succumb to the pressure and stress, or make something happen. Coach Borges references the 2004 LSU game when Campbell made it happen late in the game and said those were NFL money time plays. The 2004 Alabama and Virginia Tech games are the same too. During the Alabama game it's the last game of the regular season before the SEC Championship, against your nemesis, on the road in hostile territory knowing Bama fans want to blemish our undefeated status, and your down at halftime, something like 6-3. At the beginning of the second half Campbell throws a deep bomb to Ronnie Brown (I believe) with the safety and CB in play. Beautiful touch on the deep ball in a hostile environment. Imagine, being undefeated internally thinking of running the table only to lose the potential last game against your all-time arch enemy?

The Virginia Tech game, and similar low scoring games that year, are also great examples to study. There were about three plays in the VA Tech game that really caught my eye. I believe the play you reference began on the two yard line. Campbell originally threw a 25 yard out play to the soundline in between the CB and safety showing great touch and strength. The 53 yarder was awesome! Tech tried to bring the pressure and Campbell scrambles to the right. There's an Auburn WR about 10 yards up the field on the sideline. While he's scrambling he points to this WR and pump fakes, freezing the defense, then he chucks the 53 yarder while running, to Anthony Mix with DB Jimmy Williams draped on him. Campbell throws the ball low, and away from the DB, so only Mix can catch the ball. BEAUTIFUL! Then in disgust Jimmy Williams punches Anthony Mix in the head while he's on the turf. Campbell had I think two other 3rd and 15 or so plays and did similar things. I really enjoyed the closeups of the Virginia Tech Defensive Coach cursing. He was kneeling on one knee slamming his plays to the ground and saying "Son of a B**&h" after Campbell kept improvising, making throws on the run. People always talk about Cadillac and Ronnie, but in some of the 2004 games the run was not there. The Tech game was an example. Cadillac was non-existent and it was Campbell's play that lead us. Give Borges credit for playing both RBs simultaneously that year. The 2003 season was horrible as all the plays were primarily run oriented and easy to decipher. No creativity at all with the plays while we had Cadillac, Ronnie, and Brandon Jacobs on the same team. Imagine what Borges would've done with Jacobs in the rotation! During the 2003 season the TE goes in motion, we run to that side. Of course, losing Petrino and making your O-Line Coach the Offensive coordinator was not a great job either.

Campbell is not a scrambling QB, but does so to buy time for the WRs. The other thing I like is that when he runs his eyes and head are forward scanning the field, and not just tucking the ball and running. Gibbs knows you better have a great O-Line, or a QB who has some mobility.

- AU Burgundy & Gold

Archived