Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Situation Comparison: Romo vs. Campbell

Taylor4Life

I've seen a lot of comparison between the situation in Dallas and the situation in Washington in regards to the QB controversy. While there are some similarities (Old, washed up QBs with no mobility, HOF coaches, fans screaming for the heads of the old QBs), there is also a BIG difference; Dallas was 3-2 at the time Parcells made the switch, and only down by FIVE points in that game. Putting in Romo sits to pee made no sense in Dallas, but there is NO COMPARISON TO THE SITUATION IN WASHINGTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are out of the playoff race, face it. How many teams have lost five of their first seven games and went on to the playoffs? I'm willing to bet its never happened. So putting in Campbell is hardly comparable to the sacrificing at the alter that was down to Romo sits to pee in Dallas. Hell, he's gotta start sometime. If not now, when?

I've seen a lot of comparison between the situation in Dallas and the situation in Washington in regards to the QB controversy. While there are some similarities (Old, washed up QBs with no mobility, HOF coaches, fans screaming for the heads of the old QBs), there is also a BIG difference; Dallas was 3-2 at the time Parcells made the switch, and only down by FIVE points in that game. Putting in Romo sits to pee made no sense in Dallas, but there is NO COMPARISON TO THE SITUATION IN WASHINGTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are out of the playoff race, face it. How many teams have lost five of their first seven games and went on to the playoffs? I'm willing to bet its never happened. So putting in Campbell is hardly comparable to the sacrificing at the alter that was down to Romo sits to pee in Dallas. Hell, he's gotta start sometime. If not now, when?

I made a similar comment on Monday about this same topic. Another difference is that Jason would have 2 weeks to prepare for Dallas with the first string offense, where as Romo sits to pee was just thrown into the wolves in front of a huge Monday night spotlight. At this point Gibbs needs to do this just to see what we have in Campbell. It'll help prepare for 2007. If this was a team where I could say ok, we have a chance to make the Superbowl, I'd just say put Campbell in next year. They've given me no reason to believe they could make a run at the Superbowl, so there's nothing to lose right now.

I made a similar comment on Monday about this same topic. Another difference is that Jason would have 2 weeks to prepare for Dallas with the first string offense, where as Romo sits to pee was just thrown into the wolves in front of a huge Monday night spotlight. At this point Gibbs needs to do this just to see what we have in Campbell. It'll help prepare for 2007. If this was a team where I could say ok, we have a chance to make the Superbowl, I'd just say put Campbell in next year. They've given me no reason to believe they could make a run at the Superbowl, so there's nothing to lose right now.

I'm a Giants fan and I think we were in a similar situation when Manning was put in the lineup in the middle of his rookie season. He had a few difficult games, but finished the season strong and was a better qb for it. It's not as if Brunell is playing that well. Bring the kid in and have Brunell mentor him for the rest of the season. If he's got what it takes, you'll know by the time the seasons over.

There are actually a few more big differences.

Romo sits to pee got a lot of play in the preseason, which Campbell didn't really, so there was a lot out there for everyone to see.

Romo sits to pee's been in the league for 4 years now, and should be very familiar with Parcells offensive system. Meanwile, Campbell just got a new system this year.

It was apparent that Parcells wasn't completely sold on Bledsoe anymore early on. You can't say the same about Gibbs and Brunell.

Jason

Archived