Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deion's not Stupid, but Marty's gettin kinda close to that line

Okay, I keep reading all this stuff about how we have Deion backed into a corner. So, what happens when he reports to camp? We're still going to release him. He's not that stupid. He knows that he will lose that 6.8 million. Dont you think he wants that money. He's going to come to camp and force us to do what we were supposed to do on June 1st. Its just going to take some time away from our signing our Draft picks.

I hope Schottenheimer knows what he's doing, cause right now he looks really stupid. I dont want Rod Gardener to get behind like almost all of out other first round draft picks. And you notice that the ones who aren't there for the first day of camp are the ones who go off to have not so good rookie years, while the ones that are there have had almost spectacular years. Look at this, Arrington, Westbrook, Shuler, Johnson none were there on opening day and none had good rookie years. Then look at Chris Samuels, Champ Bailey. Both had excillent rookie years.

ok, you're wrong. If Deion shows up to camp, they will take him and work him harder than he ever has in his life. If the Skins need to take the cap hit for keeping him this year, they will unless Deion works out a Deion to return money....that's it.

------------------

Late

I hope Schottenheimer knows what he's doing, cause right now he looks really stupid.

I think Schotty (and Dan Snyder) are looking really smart. I don't think there is any way that Deion plays a game in the burgundy and gold this year but there is a lot to gain by dragging this out. Here are 5 reasons why Deion won't play for the Skins this year:

1. If Deion plays we owe him $3.5 million in salary. Even if we can find ways to sign our draft picks without cutting Deion, there are a lot better uses for $3.5 million in cap room, like maybe signing Bates, a DT and a tailback. With Green, Harrison, Smoot and Greer on the roster, paying $3.5 million to Deion is a huge waste of cap dollars.

2. Because we had Deion last year, Harrison didn't get to play. Now we have Smoot as well. Are we going to give up another year of their development and find ourselves a year from now not knowing what Harrison and Smoot can do? Or will we pay Deion $3.5 million to sit on the bench? Harrison, Smoot, and maybe Greer are the future of this team. We need to develop them and see what they can do.

3. If we don't cut Deion, we have to restructure contracts to sign our draft picks. That will cause cap problems further out.

4. Deion is a cancer. Having him on the roster would undo all that Marty is trying to achieve in installing discipline and work ethic. How could Marty justify cutting Centers if he brings Deion back?

5. Deion has done his very best to make a fool out of Snyder. Can Dan really sit in his owner's box every game and watch Deion looking up at him and grinning?

When does a player's salary come due? I think it is with the first regular season game. I don't know if preseason games count.

If Deion doesn't try to renegotiate his contract before then, I see Deion going to camp, getting his a$$ kicked by Marty, and being cut before the regular season. At that time, the other teams will have committed their cap dollars and Deion would have a hard time signing on with another team. If Deion sees it that way as well, he may well choose to renotiate his contract and give back part of his bonus so he can collect a signing bonus from another team.

It seems to me that if Deion did give back part of his bonus we would get that in cap relief. After all, if you increase a player's bonus it counts against the cap so why wouldn't a decrease in bonus work the same way?

had it been me,i would've cut deion june 1st. of course,that's why i'm a fan and marty is king!smile.gif sailor i agree with you completely. however, should deion show for camp, from a contractual standpoint,i don't see anything preventing him from participating at whatever level he sees fit. his motive at that point could be to only undermine marty's authority.

as for the utilization of his $3.5m cap hit,i think it's a waste too. i'm sure that there's teams who have alot of depth at positions we're thin at. could we manage a trade in june/july? i don't know,but you have to figure there's some teams out there loaded at DT/DE or RB. i'd be willing to trade a 3rd rder for a situational DL player. so long as he's a younger player who's effective. i dunno me

okay, i'm in Bufford's camp here.

Marty's not going to let deion go, and if deion comes to camp, then hopefully he'll play as well as he did last year. I agree that we need to get our picks signed, but we just went on a bit of a signing spree, so i bet marty has a plan. He's not just going to go out spending when he's got rookies to sign.

And what'ss this about deion returning part of his bonus? Why on earth would he do that? If he plays next year fore the skins he'll be getting more money than he can get for any other team. I think I agree with Primetime 21 when he sais that the kicking his heels comment is just deion being deion. At that time he was honestly hoping to be playing major league baseball. He also said that if he played it would be for the skins, so I think that what we're looking at here is an above average corner with a bit of an attitude problem. Marty needs to get him in line without being vinidctive. No special treatment is a two way street, and punishing a player is not in the marty vein. I think at this point we can all relax cause it's working its way out and whatever happens will work for us. Either we get a great corner or we get 3.5 in cap space. I'm not worried.

-DB

Coach Marty isn't dumb. We will win regardless. WE keep slimetime we have a deep defensive backfield and we lessen our cap hit next year. And we show that we won't be manipulated by a mercenary b@st@rd.

We cut him late we reduce the amount of money he could have received from the Broncs(?) gives us cap space to be flexible and allows us to grooom our young CBs immediately.

And taking the Cap hit now gives us plenty of money to extend our key players in 03

------------------

Yes I'm paid to think and I need a raise

When/if Deion reports to camp is when our leverage is at its highest. That's true because Deion's of course contractually obligated to be there, and because that's the last reasonable chance that Deion will have a good opportunity to sign with another team that he wants to play for and that can pay him good money. Marty will try to reach a settlement with Deion regarding refunding bonus dollars to the team before releasing him. I bet you that it will actually be rather anti-climactic and low key as it will occur quickly and civilly right after the start of camp, or whenever Deion reports, whichever is later.

Everyone will part ways and declare victory. And we'll go on with life and wait for the first time that we're matched up against Deion on defense, so that Westbrook/Gardner/Lockett can cut across the middle and set up a pick by Alexander. biggrin.gif

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

You've got it wrong, Redman. They will run about fifty sweeps at peeon's side with Fletcher at 350+ going for peeon. If he ran out of bounds to avoid Tre a few years back, he will be looking for a bomb shelter under the turf to avoid Fletcher.

Or maybe janson. janson has a mean streak. He might step on peeon's mouth as he steam rolled over him.

I find it hard to believe that Sanders will agree to give back part of his bonus. He simply has no reason to. Just because the team doesnt need him? He didnt do anything wrong (except not play like he deserved the money, which most players in the league are guilty of). He is not trying to resign or anyhting. If he comes to camp, all we will be able to do is release him and take the cap hit.

I dont really care about the little chess game that we're playin with Deion. My problem is the signign of the draft picks. I do see a possibiliy of Shade being releaed, but a slight one since its pretty stupid to have two rookies back there at safety. But then again, they can always sign a veteran with a cheaper cap number.

But I dont see the money we need to sign our draft picks, and that scares me.

Terrell isn't a rookie and since he looked ok at corner last year if he can adjust to safety we will have more speed and athleticism that I haven't seen in a long time.

Releasing Shade isn't going to hurt us. It's not like he lives up to his name when defendin Tightends or running backs

------------------

Yes I'm paid to think and I need a raise

Archived