Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

things not so bad

Murilo Bustamante

Maybe things aren't so bad.

We have been through a five game stretch where we played arguably four of the top five NFC teams (Philly, San Fran, NO, and Green Bay, with Tampa being the other).

We got whipped by Philly and Green Bay, but in large part due to our own turnovers, and blatantly biased reffing was the deciding factor in the other two games.

We have looked respectable against more average teams like Arizona and Tennessee.

We have a new coaching staff and a rookie QB.

We're 2-4, and our next three games will be a lot easier.

Maybe the trial by fire is over.

Originally posted by Murilo Bustamante

Maybe things aren't so bad.

We have been through a five game stretch where we played arguably four of the top five NFC teams (Philly, San Fran, NO, and Green Bay, with Tampa being the other).

We got whipped by Philly and Green Bay, but in large part due to our own turnovers, and blatantly biased reffing was the deciding factor in the other two games.

We have looked respectable against more average teams like Arizona and Tennessee.

We have a new coaching staff and a rookie QB.

We're 2-4, and our next three games will be a lot easier.

Maybe the trial by fire is over.

I hate to be SUCH an optimist especially after the gut-wrenching game yesterday, but you a bring up a point people seem to ignore--and that is the schedule. It will get a little easier, but not for another few weeks. Thats why I think there is still a sliver of hope for this team and Matthews needs to be back in for that reason.

True they are supposedly elite temas but they were are beatble we should have whipped the Saints and if we ran the gameplan we had against the pack it would have been a spanking by us.

I did see us going 8-2 over the final 10 games so lets see what happens

Very good post. I think everyone has ignored the fact that we have played some pretty good teams. The only criticism I have of Spurrier is that maybe he is lacking some patience. The Saints, Niners, Packers and Eagles are all Superbowl contenders at this point. No matter how you look at it, they are the best teams at this stage of the season. While our record is frustrating, we have not lost to a crappy team. (yet). Any way, we should not be so negative.

what? draw solace from the fact that we can play well against equally screwed up teams? I think not. don't forget...that was the 3rd team defense we faced yesterday. i, for one, have no desire to live through phyric victories like we did last year. *ell....if you're going to be lousy - go all out! find out who really wants to play, who buys into the ystem, who has talent. groom your future starters at QB and other skill positions. then hire a GM and conduct a draft that no kidding builds the teams future. it is an undeniable fact that New Orleans, San Francisco and other teams (heck even Baltimore) have rebuilt much faster thn we have. This all lies at the feet of the front office. We may all support snyder because he is a fan like us, but he has done little to nothing to resurrect this franchise to its glory days. he has been in place long enough - he must now shoulder some of the blame for mismanagement and interference.

I think it's kinda funny to say, "Well, everyone has ignored the fact that we've played really good teams."

No one has ignored that fact. Everyone has pointed out that we've played four division leaders. If we'd looked respectable against them -- if we'd lost nail-biters -- you could assume we'll get better. But we didn't. We got our butts kicked again yesterday.

Blame the refs all you want, but you can't turn the ball over the way the Skins do and win. The Skins will beat some bad teams this year, like the Texans, but they won't compete for a playoff spot. They're 2-4 and have 10 games left, including two more division leaders in the Colts and Eagles. It's just not realistic to expect them to win 8 of the next ten, which is the only way they'll have a shot at the playoffs in the new alignment.

I'm not saying the season is over -- far from it. The Skins can still beat the Cowboys twice.

Well, I think we have looked respectable at points.

I think we certainly looked respectable against the Whiners, except for the 250 yards on the ground. But for the Terrell Owens' TD, where he was sprung on a blatantly illegal block in the back, it's a 13-10 game. Plus the refs short-circuited several of our offensive drives with questionable calls.

Against New Orleans, we spotted them five turnovers and were within five points near the half. Again it took a lot of biased calls by the refs to even get New Orleans to that point. But for another blatant block in the back on the punt return and a totally ridiculous phantom "taunting" on third down, it would have been at most 32-27 at the end.

Against Green Bay yesterday, the final score was bad. But it was 17-9 late in the game when Lockett fumbled. We stayed in the game and could have won. We weren't thrown off the field until the very end.

We are getting killed by a mind-boggling number of stupid turnovers and biased refs. But Spurrier seems to be calling out the NFL, and the turnovers might be expected given we have a rookie QB (though Davis' and Lockett's and Champ's turnovers have been inexcusable).

We have some major faults. Our best OLinemen are injured, and our guards stink. Our offense has sputtered a lot. Our defense has given up some big yards on the ground.

But let's see what happens against some more mediocre teams.

If we still stink, believe me, I can do the "glass half empty" as well as anyone.

<<We are getting killed by a mind-boggling number of stupid turnovers and biased refs. >>

Our offense could only manage 10 points against a San Francisco defense that was puking their guts out at halftime. They could only manage 9 points against the Pack. Seven points against the Eagles. I think their might be something other than cheating refs and dumb penalties that's hold us back. Here's a hint: it's the offense. Here's another hint: it's the offense.

Ramsey has taken 13 sacks in two starts. Yes, he's a dumb rookie and he should learn to throw the ball away, but most of those sacks, hurries, knock-downs, and all-around beatings can be directly tied to the five bums standing in front of him. They're awful.

Our receivers are also not very good. Can you think of any trio of WRs in the league that you WOULDN'T trade our top three for? Our TEs are nobodies. Davis is still great, but he's only one player.

I'm not looking forward to seeing what happens against mediocre teams, because right now I can look at the Titans and Cards games and pretend that we're mediocre. If we lose to mediocre teams (like the Cows), then I have to accept the fact that they just plain stink.

On offense, it's not just a case of having to learn a new scheme or adjust to a new coach. We need three new interior linemen and a couple of new receivers and some new backup QBs (assuming Ramsey survives the season). So next year will be "rebuilding" (or whatever you want to call it) all over again.

I think the optimists point of view is at least the spanking is coming from teams that are probably going to be playing into January.

Imagine how we would feel if Cinci or Houston or Detroit did to us what these guys did. We are a mediocre team. Not as bad as the three above but not yet at the elite level.

Penalties aren't the only thing holding us back- I never said that.

In the Whiner game, we had at least two big- and incorrect- penalties called on key first downs after we had ripped off big gains. That had an effect.

We stunk against Philly.

And I agree that our wide receivers are bad and our guards are worse.

But we have moved the ball this season. And overall *team* wise, we have only been blown out of the Eagles game. We have been in every game well into the fourth quarter, despite some atrocious calls against us and an incredible number of turnovers.

Archived