Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is "hater" an appropriate fan attitude?

LarryBrownsFan

Passion and aggression and conflict and winning! I love it! I scream at the TV every week. My neighbors are getting used to it, I think.

I have favorite players and I have least favorite players. I wonder why on earth a player who's doing poorly (making lousy throws, missing tackles, or getting beat), and costing us a big play is even out on the field. I jump up and yell and try to remember to not cuss so loud that the neighbors can hear.

But I don't "hate" them. Some ES's accept the "hater" description with pride. Even describing themselves that way, e.g "I'm a Brunell hater." I don't understand it. The term just seems too strong to me.

So, am I attaching too much significance to the term... or are some people just way out of line? Or is "hating" a Redskin okay here?

Passion and aggression and conflict and winning! I love it! I scream at the TV every week. My neighbors are getting used to it, I think.

I have favorite players and I have least favorite players. I wonder why on earth a player who's doing poorly (making lousy throws, missing tackles, or getting beat), and costing us a big play is even doing out on the field. I jump up and yell and try to remember to not cuss so loud that the neighbors can hear.

But I don't "hate" them. Some ES's accept the "hater" description with pride. Even describing themselves that way, e.g "I'm a Brunell hater." I don't understand it. The term just seems too strong to me.

So, am I attaching too much significance to the term... or are some people just way out of line? Or is "hating" a Redskin okay here?

I'm a very passionate and exhuberant fan myself, Larry. It's something my roommates have come to accept and endure over the last 8 years. They still don't LIKE it, but they accept it at this point.

I am also one who should probably have the "Hater" label applied to. There are current and former Redskins players that I cannot and will not root for under any circumstances. Coaches as well. There are games that the Redskins win that I take little positive away from. I tend to have a significantly negative attitude, though I'm trying to temper it a little these last couple of weeks.

Why to I have such feelings and beliefs? I'll tell you why... Because I see football as more than just an insignificant game. I believe that it has great significance. Both on a philosophical level and on a Win/Loss basis. To me the Washington Redskins ARE as important as anything else in my life. It's the fact that I care about whether the team Wins or loses, and how they do it that leads me to make certain decisions about the worthyness of particular players, coaches, strategies, etc...

Archived