Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SportsCenter just showed all 22 straight completions...

carter23

Ok Dane we won and i never said anything bout beating the texans in my posts. And no we didnt have to throw the ball down field but if you think that we wont need to open it up against a very good jags defense then you are kidding yourself. All in all it rests on the shoulders of portis, if he can perform against the Jags the way he did today than i believe Brunell can get away with his passes.

Don EVER tell me what im implying DAne cause you don kno me so you cant say what i mean from my posts. To say im despicable for wanting my team to be better is ridiculous, take your head out of your a** for just a sec ok? I want to wait until the Jags game before i place all of my faith in him. If he performs against the Jags then i will gladly bow down to him and accept that he can still get it done until then i will remain skeptical.

Good, I'm glad you weren't saying the negative.

I'm not placing all of my faith in Brunell, because that would be stupid. I'm placing all of my faith in the offense, and I'm hopeful based on this past performance that Brunell will be able to execute our game plans.

But the moral of my story here, which some of you fail to grasp, is that Brunell perfectly executed our game plan. End of story.

Let's hope he can do it against the Jags, when our game plan may change.

We did what we needed to do to beat houston, and that's fine if you are shortsighted. But we aren't ready to do what we need to to do beat the jags, and the houston game would have been a great opportunity to practice some of that.

The minute you take an NFL opponent for granted is the minute you lose a football game. Even with our dominant offense, our penalties kept the Texans in the game.

No Sunday is ever appropriate for practice. That's what the weeks are for.

DAne at this point, deep for this team is like 10 yards and on. we have hardely completed any passes past five yards and I like many fans don't think that the passing game we displayed yesterday will work against better teams, however if it does well then hey i was completely wrong and I'll look back and say i was a complete and total idiot however we shall see this sunday. now off to class

You, sir, fail at reading comprehension. But, I'll respond to you anyway, since it appears that you are attempting to engage in rational dialogue, even though your posts in other threads seem to imply otherwise.

1. I hope not, since you only have to throw deep when you need a prayer (i.e., end of game, third-and-very-long). However, I assume that we will.

2. If by deep, you mean over 20 yards, then yes, this past sunday on the 25-yarder to David Patten. Against the Cowboys, on the 23-yarder to Cooley. If you mean with regularity and for farther distances, then no, although I'm hopeful that we will be able to with improved pass protection.

Perhaps you don't realize that throwing deep is ALWAYS a low probability pass. Always. It's never high probability, no matter how many times you can do it in Madden or whatever the video game du jour is. I would take the short passes for first down 100% of the time, seven days a week, and 20-30 times on Sunday.

I'm not trying to get in the middle here, but just wanted to interject with my :2cents:. In my opinion a 20 yard throw isn't exactly "deep". As for the "deep" ball he threw to Patten this week....I mean, the guy doesn't play much but it wasn't nice of Brunell to try to get him killed. It was not real accurate. Also, if 20 yards is a deep ball then Brunell has thrown TONS of those this season. Remember that in the first two games of the season he was taking 15 step drops, so basically every pass he threw over the line of scrimmage was technically a 20 yarder.

You have to use the deep ball in the NFL to open up the opponent's defense. Otherwise they will squat on you and crush you all day. I don't think the Skins need to start winging the ball downfield every other play or anything, but to succeed they are going to have to at least have the ability to open the floodgates every once in a while. Plus....call me crazy, but I don't get much thrill out of laterals and screens for an entire game. I'm always happy when the Skins win, but it would be nice to have a little more excitement considering we've got Lloyd, Moss, and Randle El at our disposal.

I am here.. eating my words... I was one calling for the benching of Brunell... but after this past week.. I guess there is still alittle left in that tank.... Thank God.

He played as well as can be expected from any QB in the way he managed the game... I know there weren't any 50 yd bombs or anything like that .. but he did have a 25 yarder to D Patten.... I know as well as everyone else that it was the Texans but if we play that way at HOME next week... there is no reason that we cannot beat the JAGS... yes they have a huge advantage with their receivers.. but if the SKINS can get pressure on them (at least alittle) I think that we can shut them down, coupled with a couple of big hits by S.T. and I think they start hearing footsteps...I am thinking that this one is just gonna come down to who wants it more.. and for the SKINS... this is a must win, I am hoping for a 4-3 record when we hit the bye week....

GO SKINS

You have to use the deep ball in the NFL to open up the opponent's defense. Otherwise they will squat on you and crush you all day. I don't think the Skins need to start winging the ball downfield every other play or anything, but to succeed they are going to have to at least have the ability to open the floodgates every once in a while. Plus....call me crazy, but I don't get much thrill out of laterals and screens for an entire game. I'm always happy when the Skins win, but it would be nice to have a little more excitement considering we've got Lloyd, Moss, and Randle El at our disposal.

There's no doubt that the deep ball, or the threat of a deep ball, will probably be needed for some game plans. Again, I'd rather never use it, since it's always low probability, but you're right, there will be games where we'll probably utilize it. I hope Brunell can make those throws.

But there's no reason to show anything that you don't have to, and that's my point. In terms of playcalling and execution -- penalties aside -- we did everything we should have, and more, against the Texans.

I don't get it...?

Post # 61 in this thread.

You quoted the poster, who said, in answer to your question, that "you throw the deep ball to keep a defense honest so they can't put 8 in the box".

You followed with: "And no one --NO ONE--- has answered my question: Why throw the ball deep"

It appears that your question WAS answered. Maybe not to your liking, but I believe that qualifies as an answer.

....you were saying about "failing reading comprehension".....please go on, you're making your case SO well!

One of the big knocks on Brunell last year was his completion percentage. Can we at least say that appears to be improving this year? :)

Hmmm, I can agree with that I think :cheers:

I think the problem here is that we've got people who blindly support Brunell and people that simply hate him. It's hard to be objective when you're so far left or right wing (politics anyone?).

When someone tells me Brunell sucks, I take it as saying the whole team sucks seeing that he runs our offense. I also thought he did great last year and never make early judgements against a guy who produced previously with no cause for decline.

....you were saying about "failing reading comprehension".....please go on, you're making your case SO well!

Ironic you should state that, when my point was about the Texans game, and his/hers was about the future. So, you're welcome to try again, although I'd rather just let it go.

I'm sure the gameplan for the week will change against the jags - or at least dear god I hope it does. But the first two weeks of the season proved a few things, one of which is that the offense was not ready to compete, they weren't in sync. They showed nothing during the preseason, and they are just now starting to get SOMETHING going. That something being a very very timid passing attack. This game was an opportunity for this team to get more than just their screen pass-game clicking, and we didn't take advantage of it. We had a chance to get some real practice for the offense, and we didn't use it (this game was never in doubt in the 2nd half) As a result, we will be toying with a new gameplan that we aren't ready to execute against the jags. Thats what I'm worried about.

We did what we needed to do to beat houston, and that's fine if you are shortsighted. But we aren't ready to do what we need to to do beat the jags, and the houston game would have been a great opportunity to practice some of that.

shortsighted is thinking that "practicing" plays in a game that you have all but won is a good idea. why show next weeks opponent anything that you may use against them when you dont need to? let the jags think we will try the same on them or have no idea at all. if you think we will need to go deep on them all the more reason to keep those pass plays under wraps against the texans with the game well in hand.

I am an inveterate Brunell hater ... having said that I think he played perfectly within himself and within Saunders game plan. If this was no mirage and Brunell continues to stay disciplined ... the Skins just might surprise against the Jags. Of course, the OL must do its job like it did yersterday.

Let me ask all of you football idiots one question:

Why throw the deep ball if you don't have to?

Where does it say Houston in this?

It's obvious that we did not have to throw the deep ball against Houston to win because we didn't throw deep, and we won. When people mention the deep ball, they're obviously referring to the possible need to do it in future games. Many of us are skeptical that we can, based on a lack of evidence to prove the contrary. You have stated twice now that you are "hopeful" that we can. Based on what?

How dare you call people "football idiots" when they are using evidence,logic, and deduction, while you're using "hope".

Don't fool yourself, Brunell accomplished something great today whether you like it or not.

Yeah I'd classify this as something great.

3-6-WAS13 (10:06) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass to C.Portis pushed ob at HST 13 for 74 yards (about 70 of that was YAC)

1-10-WAS37 (4:22) M.Brunell pass short middle to S.Moss to 50 for 13 yards (Mostly YAC)

1-10-50 (3:40) M.Brunell pass to B.Lloyd to HST 41 for 9 yards (Again lots of YAC)

1-10-HOU39 (2:25) M.Brunell pass short left to C.Cooley ran ob at HST 33 for 6 yards

3-1-HOU30 (1:24) M.Brunell up the middle to HST 29 for 1 yard

3-4-HOU23 (15:00) M.Brunell pass short left to A.Randle El for 23 yards, TOUCHDOWN. (All YAC as pass was actually thrown to WR behind LOS)

1-10-WAS10 (11:20) M.Brunell pass to M.Sellers to WAS 11 for 1 yard

2-9-WAS11 (10:38) M.Brunell pass to M.Sellers to WAS 14 for 3 yards

3-6-WAS14 (9:52) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass short middle to C.Portis to WAS 18 for 4 yards

2-13-WAS15 (3:51) M.Brunell pass to C.Cooley to WAS 15 for no gain

3-13-WAS15 (3:07) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass to L.Betts to WAS 29 for 14 yards

2-5-WAS34 (1:57) M.Brunell pass short left to S.Moss to WAS 40 for 6 yards

1-20-WAS30 (1:20) M.Brunell pass to C.Cooley to WAS 39 for 9 yards

2-11-WAS39 (:52) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete short right.

PENALTY on WAS-J.Jansen, Offensive Holding, - No Play. Penalty on WAS-C.Samuels, Offensive Holding, declined. (Here was the end of his streak, but holding wipes out the incompletion like it never happened)

3-9-WAS41 (:23) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass deep middle to D.Patten to HST 34 for 25 yards (The only pass that he actually threw more than 10 yards past the LOS)

1-10-HOU34 (:16) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass short right to A.Randle El ran ob at HST 30 for 4 yards

3-4-WAS36 (12:53) M.Brunell pass short left to A.Randle El to WAS 43 for 7 yards

1-10-WAS43 (12:13) M.Brunell pass short left to S.Moss to 50 for 7 yards

2-5-WAS47 (10:18) M.Brunell pass to L.Betts to HST 45 for 8 yards

2-7-HOU42 (8:49) M.Brunell pass to S.Moss pushed ob at HST 37 for 5 yards

3-2-HOU37 (8:15) M.Brunell pass to B.Lloyd to HST 26 for 11 yards

1-10-HOU26 (7:27) M.Brunell pass to S.Moss pushed ob at HST 13 for 13 yards

1-10-HOU13 (6:55) M.Brunell pass incomplete to B.Lloyd.

PENALTY on HST-Th.Johnson, Roughing the Passer, 7 yards, enforced at HST 13 - No Play. (A second incompletion wiped out by penalty)

1-10-WAS39 (1:49) M.Brunell pass short left to S.Moss to WAS 45 for 6 yards (L.Sanders; C.Brown). (record setter that he simply took the snap and threw out to the WR who ran the 6 yards)

7 Passes of 5 yards or less, 15 passes of 10 yards or less and that's with all the YAC yards counted in there. So counting all the YAC yardage he had 7 passes longer than 10 yards during the streak, but in all actuality he had 1 pass go beyond 10 yards. Certainly not saying I could do it, but any NFL caliber QB could perform the same feat against the worst passing defense in the league (yes Houston is the worst passing DEF in the league). The thing is most teams don't design a gameplan that calls for their QB to throw 0, 1 or 2 yard passes and expect their receivers and backs to do the rest. Of course against Houston you can do that, but that certainly won't work against the better defenses in the league.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Brunell. I was simply stating the obvious, that he didn't really do anything earth shattering to set the record in the first place. He simply threw little 1 yard dump off and screen passes that without the YAC would have gotten him about 80 yards on the day. Against the worst passing D in the league though that is certainly something to be very proud of.

When someone tells me Brunell sucks, I take it as saying the whole team sucks seeing that he runs our offense. I also thought he did great last year and never make early judgements against a guy who produced previously with no cause for decline.

That's the problem. There is a fundamental flaw in your logic. When someone says Brunell sucks, they probably mean....Brunell sucks!

Funny how when Joe Montana was crafting a Hall of Fame career relying on guys like Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones, and Roger Craig to run after the catch, no one complained. No one seemed to mind that this style of offense won several Super Bowls for the 49ers.

But now that the Redskins (Brunell) does it, it's somehow a bad thing?? I'm not getting the logic on this one.

Fortunately, Brunell didn't have to go deep. I'd be thrilled if we ran that exact same offense every week.

Some people here remind me of Spurrier. Remember when he used to complain about a victory because it was "ugly" and "we didn't get the ball downfield"?

I'm guessing those who are nit-picking Brunell and the offense would rather go back to the days when we lost games but threw the ball deep under Spurrier. At least the post-game conferences were entertaining!

Brunell did something that has never been done in a single game before. Even the Brunell bashers should step up and at least give him his props.

Hail,

H

Let me ask all of you football idiots one question:

Why throw the deep ball if you don't have to?

LET ME ASK YOU SOMeTHING do you think he can throw deep if he wanted to?

how many times did the texans stop a team from converting a 3rd down?

our first drive was the first time they stop any one on third down .lmfao

we will see the hypocrite's next week if he plays bad ,but

to each is own if you think MB is Peyton Mannining good luck to you

this is like a kid having all A's in Physical education

what a genuis

Funny how when Joe Montana was crafting a Hall of Fame career relying on guys like Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones, and Roger Craig to run after the catch, no one complained. No one seemed to mind that this style of offense won several Super Bowls for the 49ers.

But now that the Redskins (Brunell) does it, it's somehow a bad thing?? I'm not getting the logic on this one.

Fortunately, Brunell didn't have to go deep. I'd be thrilled if we ran that exact same offense every week.

Some people here remind me of Spurrier. Remember when he used to complain about a victory because it was "ugly" and "we didn't get the ball downfield"?

I'm guessing those who are nit-picking Brunell and the offense would rather go back to the days when we lost games but threw the ball deep under Spurrier. At least the post-game conferences were entertaining!

Brunell did something that has never been done in a single game before. Even the Brunell bashers should step up and at least give him his props.

Hail,

H

That's it im done

wtf comparing Montana to MB:mad: even a young brunell couldn't hold Joe's jockstrap

That's it im done

wtf comparing Montana to MB:mad: even a young brunell couldn't hold Joe's jockstrap

Geez man, I'm comparing the offense we saw yesterday to the offense the 49ers ran under Montana. Show me where I said Brunell was as good as Montana.

For the record, I don't think Brunell is as good as Montana. Does that make you feel better??

Good grief, you have to spell things out for some people I guess.:doh:

Hail,

H

Ok the reason this arguement will never be won by either side is that it seems like both parties have talking points they want to hit (me included) while responding to posts in a roundabout way without actually refuting other arguements. I try to provide counter points but i don kno if i necessarily succeed. I don't know how MB can elicit so much confidence in a lot of you when he makes me nothing but worried. His performances in the first 3 games, granted 2 of those were without CP which apparantely made all the difference in the houston game, were pretty much the same, just a bunch of quick outs, checkdowns, and screens all relying on RAC yards. Im reserving confidence in Brunell until after he shows me what he can do against a top tier defensive team like the Jags

Geez man, I'm comparing the offense we saw yesterday to the offense the 49ers ran under Montana. Show me where I said Brunell was as good as Montana.

For the record, I don't think Brunell is as good as Montana. Does that make you feel better??

Good grief, you have to spell things out for some people I guess.:doh:

Hail,

H

OOPS MY BAD MY MAN ,BUT THIS OFFENSE AINT THE OLD 49ERS EITHER

Archived