Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier's Postgame

rtandler

I had a front row seat about ten feet from Spurrier and I can tell you that he was both angry and worried. There was none of the Turner "what we do works" false bravado, nor was there the any of Marty's honest but arrogant manner. Spurrier was pissed.

He kept coming back to, as most of us would in thinking of this game, the two kick returns for TD's and the two prayer passes that Brooks unleashed for long gains. It wasn't a case of breakdowns, there weren't busted assignments, it was a lack of hustle and effort, in Spurrier's view. He threatened to bring guys up from the practice squad if that's what it took to get the required level of effort.

I generally don't like to analyze beyond the words that are said, but I could see that while he was answering the questions, the wheels were turning rapidly in his head. While saying that he had to look at the tapes before knowing for sure who had failed to hustle, it seemed to me that he knew who some of them were--how could you not see Sam Shade right in the middle of both of those long pass plays--and was figuring out what to do about it.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't want to be one of the underachievers this week at Redskins Park. The country boy is going to be taking some of them behind the woodshed.

thanks for the right there for it report rt. cool... I saw a blurb of that on ESPN and yea.... he looked pissed. Definately ready to send a few guys to the bench judging by his comments....those that I saw. No doubt Shade got worked onnce, but on the play Horn had to climb his ladder for, ther were 3 guys in the area and Fred was as much to blame as any of them. anyway... agree that S.S. is going to take some players to task. :cheers:

Originally posted by luckydevi

Rtandler what I meant to say maybe he cuts somebody " good"

Like Shade or somebody?

I would doubt that it would be anything that drastic. I would guess that any shakeup would involve a starter moving to the bench or a special teamer going to inactive or moves like that.

Originally posted by BallCoachSpurrier

The first person I'd "promote" from the practice squad is Skaggs. He was hurt in preseason but he would be an upgrade over "Jackie" Green as a punt returner and he's a solid coverage man on kicks.

That's a possibility, but you'd either have to cut another WR or carry seven, which doesn't work. Green has shown zero besides his one TD return, but he remains the only deep threat on the WR corps.

This is according to NFL.com, so I dont know why you guys are getting on J.Greens case so much...

2002 Regular Season

NFL · AFC · NFC   

Punt Returns

Player Team Rets Yds Avg LG TDs FC

Az-Zahir Hakim DET 3 101 33.7 72 1 2

D'Wayne Bates MIN 4 93 23.3 61 0 0

Allen Rossum ATL 4 76 19.0 36 0 1

Chad Morton NYJ 3 51 17.0 21 0 1

Bobby Shaw JAC 6 91 15.2 69 1 4

Dennis Northcutt CLE 12 174 14.5 74 1 4

Phillip Buchanon OAK 9 117 13.0 83 1 6

Jacquez Green WAS 12 153 12.8 90 1 5

Troy Walters IND 11 140 12.7 34 0 5

Damon Gibson ATL 2 25 12.5 19 0 1

John Simon TEN 6 71 11.8 30 0 3

Reggie Swinton DAL 5 59 11.8 21 0 2

Karl Williams TB 13 152 11.7 56 1 8

Delvin Joyce NYG 2 23 11.5 20 0 1

Michael Lewis NO 15 171 11.4 18 0 2

Dedric Ward MIA 4 45 11.3 26 0 1

Brian Mitchell PHI 17 189 11.1 49 0 2

Kevin Faulk NE 2 22 11.0 16 0 2

Jeff Ogden BAL 2 21 10.5 19 0 0

Leon Johnson CHI 12 125 10.4 30 0 5

Jermaine Lewis HOU 10 104 10.4 48

I saw the replay of this on CSN and he defintely was genuinely pissed. Also drank a lot of Gatorade (nice touch), no doubrt to sooth his throat after the *ss-chewing he had to do all day.

After a little bit of distance and reflection, I'm really disappointed with the effort as well. Despite all of the crap in the first half, the Redskins were easily back within range of getting the game under control at halftime -- and then deflated quicker than a beach ball on a coral reef. That's sad, because it could have turned out to have been a great win that would set the tone for the rest of the season. Instead, I'm afraid that the game just set the tone for the rest of the season. And obviously, so is Spurrier.

Originally posted by StuckinIA

I was curious if SS made any reference to his playcalling during his postgame interview. In my plebeian opinion, there were a number of questionable calls on his part.

No. He did say that it was a poorly-coached football team out there, but nothing specific about play calling.

Skaggs isn't any good at returning kicks anyway(from what I saw in preseason) so I don't see the reason to bring him up.

I think we should sit Doering or Lockett and activate McCants, as we really lack a guy who can make big plays at receiver and we have to see if any of the ones we have can do anything more than be average, besides Gardner.

I watched the press conference too and Spurrier was indeed pissed, though I think he deserves a share of the blame for not running the ball in key times in which he could of. Most notably on what I believe was the first drive of the 2nd half when Davis ripped off a nice 15 yard run and then Spurrier called 3 straight passes.

The playcalling "mystery" is surely a case of first year head coaching. In college, Spurrier had a talent advantage most of the time so he felt he could make plays in the passing game at any down and distance. Quite a bit different in the NFL.

One thing I noticed during the game was S2's frustration with the route running of the receivers. Twice I saw him call out both Gardner and Green for what can only be determined was either poor route running or more importantly wrong route running. Was it just me, or on a couple of Ramsey's interceptions did it appear that there were a heck of alot of redskin receivers clogging the middle of the field and bringing their defender with them? Before yesterday, it always seemed that the S2 offense seemed adept at good receiver spacing. Yesterday it seemed like everyone was running to the middle of the field.... and consequently... alot of the interceptions were over the middle.

Archived