Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Texans cut 5, claim 4

ratbert_rizzo

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-texans-moves&prov=ap&type=lgns

This could shock you out of your shoes!!

Texans cut 5, claim 4

September 3, 2006

HOUSTON (AP) -- The Houston Texans cut five players, including rookie running back Chris Taylor, and claimed four others off waivers on Sunday.

The move leaves the Texans with just two healthy running backs -- rookie Wali Lundy and second-year player Vernand Morency -- after placing Domanick Davis on the injured reserve on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Texans now have 52 players on their roster, one under the NFL-required limit, so they are likely to add another running back.

Also released was veteran defensive tackle Robaire Smith, rookie receiver David Anderson, and defensive backs Kevin Garrett and Michael Stone.

Smith, who has started every game the past two seasons in Houston, had 68 tackles and 1 1/2 sacks in 2005. Stone played in 13 games and had 46 tackles last season for New England.

The Texans added defensive backs Roc Alexander and Guss Scott, receiver Edell Shepherd and defensive tackle Atiyyah Ellison.

Shepherd appeared in 16 games last season for Tampa Bay and had six receptions for 103 yards and a touchdown.

:texansuck :texansuck :texansuck :texansuck :texansuck :texansuck

Robire Smith was someone who had promise a few years ago and that some people wanted us to pick up in FA. I wonder why he never caught on in Houston (other than them switching between a 3-4 and 4-3 defense every other year that is).

all I am saying is he has to be better than boschetti, atleast even vs. the run the guy is a big body up in there. 6-4 330 thats a big man.

I'm shocked that Edell Shepherd was cut by the Bucs...he played fairly well against us. I guess dropping that TD in the wild card game must have cost him his spot. :laugh: :evil:

all I am saying is he has to be better than boschetti, atleast even vs. the run the guy is a big body up in there. 6-4 330 thats a big man.

Why is there so much hate for Bosco?? The kid has a nonstop motor and can ball. He's not a superstar, but he fits in perfectly with our defense that way!

I'm shocked that Edell Shepherd was cut by the Bucs...he played fairly well against us. I guess dropping that TD in the wild card game must have cost him his spot. :laugh: :evil:

Why is there so much hate for Bosco?? The kid has a nonstop motor and can ball. He's not a superstar, but he fits in perfectly with our defense that way!

I don't hate "Bosco" I just don't think he brings anything to the table. Bring in a talented guy like Smith who Williams drafted himself and we could have a stud back up DT.

Robire Smith was someone who had promise a few years ago and that some people wanted us to pick up in FA. I wonder why he never caught on in Houston (other than them switching between a 3-4 and 4-3 defense every other year that is).

I think that was the year we signed Griffin. - He should get picked up quick.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2572010

Six-year veteran defensive lineman Robaire Smith, signed by the Houston Texans just two years ago to be one of the linchpins of the team's defensive line, was released on Sunday as the team continued to tweak its roster in advance of the regular season opener.

Robaire Smith

Defensive End

Houston Texans

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int

68 43 25 0 2 0

The move comes as rookie head coach Gary Kubiak continues to put his imprint on a franchise that has won just 18 games in the first four seasons of its existence.

The Texans made a flurry of roster adjustments on Sunday, releasing five players and claiming four more on waivers. But the surprising departure of Smith, who started all 32 games in his two seasons in Houston and who was still listed with the No. 1 unit on the Texans' depth chart, was by far the headline move.

It marks the second time in six weeks that the Texans have jettisoned a big-money acquisition from their 2004 free agency class. Smith, who spent the first four years of his NFL career with the Tennessee Titans, signed a six-year, $26.3 million contract with the Texans on March 4, 2004. Just a few days earlier, the team had signed offensive tackle Todd Wade to a five-year, $25 million deal. Wade was recently released by the Texans, a team that in its brief history has not derived much benefit from its big-money free agent investments.

Smith, 28, now becomes a free agent and can sign with any team in the league. And there figures to be considerable interest in the former Michigan State standout, who has been a starter at tackle in a 4-3 defense and at end in the Texans' 3-4 alignment. Smith started two of the Texans' four preseason games this summer at left tackle.

There was no immediate explanation offered for the release of Smith, but the Texans are moving back to a 4-3 front this year and perhaps the new staff felt he was not a good fit. Certainly, Smith was productive in his only two seasons with the Texans, notching 202 tackles and 4½ sacks in his Houston tenure. He started all 16 games in 2005 and, according to the statistics maintained by the former Houston coaching staff, he had 102 tackles, tied for third most on the team.

In 81 career games, including 49 starts, Smith, who entered the NFL as the Titans' sixth-round pick in the 2000 draft, has 370 tackles and 16 sacks.

In addition to Smith, the Texans released veteran defensive backs Michael Stone and Kevin Garrett, and a pair of rookies, tailback Chris Taylor and wide receiver David Anderson. Claimed on waivers were safety Guss Scott (New England), cornerback Roc Alexander (Denver), wide receiver Edell Shepherd (Tampa Bay) and defensive tackle Atiyyah Ellison (Carolina).

I don't hate "Bosco" I just don't think he brings anything to the table. Bring in a talented guy like Smith who Williams drafted himself and we could have a stud back up DT.

Well, Smith would definitely be an upgrade, but a) I doubt we can afford him and B) I think we've got a couple special rookies at DT already. :2cents:

PS -- Smith was a 6th rounder, just FYI. That should give us a little more confidence in Golston and Montgomery!! :D

Well, Smith would definitely be an upgrade, but a) I doubt we can afford him and B) I think we've got a couple special rookies at DT already. :2cents:

PS -- Smith was a 6th rounder, just FYI. That should give us a little more confidence in Golston and Montgomery!! :D

Oh I got tons of confidence in Golston and Montgomery...especially since we releaseed Killings in favor of the two. Killings had some big plays last year, I think we can count on these guys to have bright futures atleast as solid back ups.

If I were the Texans, I would trade a #2 draft pick for a proven running back. Although at this point, 8 days before the season, knowone wants to part with their running back.

The Texans claimed Ron Dayne of waivers so there is their veteran back. If you claim 5 guys off waivers, you aren't very good.

Archived