Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saunders Comments on comcast sportnight

Lavarleap56

So, you are gonna believe Doc Walker and John Riggins who have never played for Al Saunders and/or now how he does business?

No they played for our head coach whom everyone on this board on the positive side seems to think plays possum in the preseason.

Both shows thought this level of possum was extreme, and if they came out looking differently in the regular season it would be the greatest possum ever played :D That was the jist.

But what do they know? They only played for the guy. Let me guess it was only for ratings :laugh:

Honest to god I dont care. Saunders is just calling plays to see which player can do what going head up right now. We've barely seen any motions, pre-snap shifts, nor have we seen any audibles. We havent tried to confuse the defense once. Thats the point of offense to confuse the defense. Right now he wants to see which guys are tough, however in the NFL everyone is tough so if there is no element of surprise the offense is going to get stuffed 9 out of 10 times. Thats what we are seeing.

So missing recievers is just vanilla play calling?

I understand offenses, motions, trickery, snap counts, whatever.

At the end of the day if your qb can't hit an open receiver all that stuff doesn't matter...

But we will see....

At the end of the day if your qb can't hit an open receiver all that stuff doesn't matter...

But we will see....

Well actually I think it is because of the vanilla play calling that he's missing his receivers. We're running basic plays that are easily guarded so hes not trying to force it. If youve noticed, we havent had a whole lot of people running free in the secondary. Alot of that comes from changing the pre-snap look. Some of it though can be timing. The same can be said for any QB though. A few nights ago against NO, Manning missed Harrison streaking down the sideline wide open, how often will that happen in September?

But we will see....

But you just err on the side of safety and say, hey, we suck. So that way, if the skins lay an egg this season(which they wont), you can gloat about it to skins fans that you were right. :doh:

No they played for our head coach whom everyone on this board on the positive side seems to think plays possum in the preseason.

Both shows thought this level of possum was extreme, and if they came out looking differently in the regular season it would be the greatest possum ever played :D That was the jist.

But what do they know? They only played for the guy. Let me guess it was only for ratings :laugh:

Not for ratings.. I am not sure where you got that thought either.

I can understand your way of thinking, however, you are being irrational.

What you are seeing in this preseason is a team who is not trying to throw the defense. A team whom has a gameplan and it using said gameplan to evaluate their talent. Whoever sucks, gets cut and whoever does well, gets another look. How many times did Santana Moss get a look during the preseason? during the regular season last year? Why weren't we throwing to Cooley or Sellers in the flat? Why wasn't Brunell tucking the ball down and running?

Sure, a lot of the ESers are not worried about the Skins this year.. That is because we know how Gibbs and Saunders do in the preseason--Not good AT ALL. They do not show much offensively. They would rather show it all during the season when the games actually count. What kind of footage are the Vikings going to watch to get an idea of how to gameplan against us?

This is what PCS is reffering to.

August 28, 2006

Redskins Park

Associate Head Coach – Offense Al Saunders

On how he is feeling about the offense after the first three preseason games:

“You have seen a work in progress. I don’t like the score but there is a process that we are going through. The process is taking a patient look at the players we have and putting them in positions to do what we need to see them do. We are not covering the edges on pass protection because we need to see those guys by themselves out there without help from tight ends and backs. We need to see more rhythm in our game and do some things that are very basic without having scheme be the thing that we count on in the preseason. That is what I have always done. The important thing in preseason for us is that each preseason game is like a practice in a game-like environment. We have a plan going into every preseason game to see some individuals do some things that might not be conducive on a down and distance situation from a game planning stand point. If it is something we need to see, the only time we can see it is in a game environment.”

On how he feels about the first team offense not scoring a point in the first three preseason games:“I am not happy if we don’t score every time we have the football in practice. We will get there. I know what the end product will look like. I feel very comfortable that there are players developing their skills to be what we need them to be. For those who see practice, I think you see a totally different football team in terms of the strategy and tactics that we utilize than we do in a game. There is a reason for that. There is a process that we know works, a system that we know works and a procedure of developing an offensive football team that we have had success with over a lot of years.”

On how important it is confidence-wise for the first team offense to put some points up this week against the Baltimore Ravens:“I think if you asked Santana Moss (WR, #89) if he is confident in his abilities as a football player, I think he would tell you he is a pretty good player. Chris Cooley (TE, #47) thinks he is a pretty good player. We know they are good players. It is not the end result of what you do, it is the daily progress of each individual and their techniques and fundamentals. Certainly there were some disappointing parts of the game. There were some guys that probably didn’t play at the level that we would have liked them to play at and they know that. They know what they need to work on to fix it. Individually there is some work that we have to do and collectively there is some work that we have to do and we are going to do that.”

On if he is tempted to use the starters more than he normally would because of their recent performance:“No, not at all. Once again, there is a process that we are following. We have a plan that started in OTA’s to develop in a timely fashion what we would like to develop as an offensive unit. Certainly we would have liked Santana (Moss, WR, #89) to catch that ball on the three-yard line. We would have liked somebody to make a first down. When you use tactics and schemes to camouflage some deficiencies in the preseason, it doesn’t make you any better.”

On Antwaan Randle El (WR, #82):“I think he is a very special player. There is another great example of the preseason. We have not done things specifically to get Antwaan Randle El the ball and have him do the things that he is capable of doing. He sure does do it out there in practice. He is a gifted guy. He can run with the ball and catch it. He is in a developmental stage as a wide receiver. It is something that he is making a transition to and he has done it extremely well. He is developing and I really like what I see.”

Does everyone feel better now after reading that?

Don't get me wrong. I have NO DOUBT with motion and stuff our offense will be much better.

I am concerned about our qb play most. I am NOT calling for Cam P Bell...but I am fearful based on what I have seen of Brunell this preseason. Last preseason he looked sharp, strong, health...this...his arm strength looks suspect. :2cents:

If we are going to make a superbowl run we can't have a qb that throws 140 yards or less in some games...preseason can hide offenses but not poor qb play.

Archived