Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ankle injury question . . .

Slateman

Slateman, I could tell you how I fell 15' straight down on a job site about 7 years ago and how it laid me out for about 2 weeks. Sprained the ankle pretty bad, ( swollen to about the size of a baseball), and couldn't walk on it for nearly 2 months without a walking cast and then a major Ace wrap job, ( actually took a concrete tie to the knee as well. Put a hole down to the miniscus). Tell you all kinds of stuff based on that experience. I'm not. Going recommend instead you see someone for this. Spend a little of that money and see someone about this. Everyone is different in how they heal and injuries vary as well. Only a Doctor can tell you for sure. If you're this concerned about it, then it's worth it. May help you in the long run as well. Just my 2 cents.

How sure are you that the hospital won't charge me? I'm kinda doubting that they'll let me walk in and get a scan for free.

And while I don't have insurance, I do have some money. I have whatever is left over in my college fund (around 10k . . . I think)

It was more of a jestful remark, rather than to be taken really serious. Certain laws require a given level of examination under certain circumstances and rarely the hospitals collect/charge very much. Yours is not legitimately one of those.

But, surgery is usually not required for most ankles. Save the x-rays you have and go see your doc. He may very well only observe and not order any more films. If he/she thinks more films are req'd- go get them. But, until then- Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. And slowly rehab the joint if you can tloerate some motion.

I've sprained my anke zillions and zillions of times. If you can find an aircast get it. It's much better then those lace up ankle braces. It might cost a little more, but well worth it. RICE!!! Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. It works the best and do your best not to reagravate it. From what I was told, once your ligaments are stretched, they will never heal and be as strong, but who knows how valid that is. If you can get some anti inflammatories, they would work well. Good Luck. And from an atheletes point of view, if you have to exercise, you should tape your ankle, it's much more supportive than thos anlkebraces. After many years of playing hoops, I've twisted my ankles while wearing those braces. Hell I twisted my ankle walking up the ramp during the Giants game last year. All I did was step funny.

Archived