Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Lachey

bnacpa

As I was heading out of camp I saw this towering guy who had a boyish face but upon closer inspection was probably in his 40's. I knew instantly that he was former Redskins Left Tackle Jim Lachey. I introduced myself and told him I was a great fan of his from back in the 80's and that the trade with the Raiders for him was probably the best trade with the Raiders that the Skins have ever made. He laughed and told me that his former line coach when he was with the Raiders was Al Saunders. He said that Al was a great coach and a great mentor and that he told him that he couldn't do much better than to join the Hogs and Joe Gibbs.

He currently does radio work in Ohio where he lives with his several children and wife. They were all on hand with him for training camp today. He is a huge Ohio State Buckeye fan and most of his radio work is with college football.

He was really nice and super tall. He looked like he was in great shape (although thin for a lineman). It is a shame that injuries ended his career prematurely. He was the best left tackle in the game in the late 80's.

:applause: Jim dose allot for his home town(St.Henry)

He started stag nite that would raise money for the school.He would bring in pros form the chargers then when he got to the REDSKINS he would bring in allot of them..Its a great tim I have been going to them for years.So I have got to see allot of REDSKINS PLAYERS.

He is also involve with the Ohio State Buckeyes.He announces the football games on the radio for them.

He also is involve with the Columbus arena football team

so he is very busy man but has time for his home town and fans!!

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

I remember a play against Oakland where a Raider player intercepted a pass and was tearing down the sideline for a what appeared to be a TD and Jim Lachey laid one of the cleanest, most textbook tackles on this guy that just leveled him.

Anyone else remember that?

It's funny that my only vivid memory of Jim Lachey was making a clock cleaning tackle rather than a block.

Lachey was the man, I'll never forget when he literally knocked out the Raiders linebacker Jerry Robinson with a blind side tackle after a Rypien int causing him to fumble, Lachey then recovered the fumble from Robinson and as he was getting up Lachey then tossed the ball on Robinsons chest while he still laid knocked out on the turf

EDIT BlitzFiftySix just posted

I remember a play against Oakland where a Raider player intercepted a pass and was tearing down the sideline for a what appeared to be a TD and Jim Lachey laid one of the cleanest, most textbook tackles on this guy that just leveled him.

Anyone else remember that?

It's funny that my only vivid memory of Jim Lachey was making a clock cleaning tackle rather than a block.

Yeah, that guy's brain just shut down after Lachey hit him! It was beautiful! :applause:

Jim Completely shut down Bruce Smith in Super Bowl XXVI. Smith was so frustrated. Then Smith said he was hurt the whole game. Typical Bruce Smith excuse.

Well, to be completely fair, Smith WAS hurt for the Super Bowl. He was never 100% at any time during the playoffs that season. Plus, the Bills thought they would be clever and tried to play a 46 defensive front with Smith over the center, thinking they could get a favorable matchup against Jeff Bostic. It worked at first, because Mark Rypien took several hard shots before the Skins adjusted their protections.

Just the season before, Smith smoked Lachey the entire first quarter of the 1990 final regular season game. I remember that game because it was being hyped because of the Lachey/Smith matchup. Now, Lachey didn't officially give up a sack, but Smith was in the backfield on almost every play. I can remember play where the Skins tried to sucker Smith into the backfield on a screen pass to Earnest Byner. Smith bit hard but was still able to recover and made the tackle from behind for no gain. No man that big (he was playing at nearly 290lbs back then) should have been able to change directions like that. After a couple of hard shots on Ryp, the coaches finally started giving Lachey some help and the Skins went on to win and make the playoffs. It was a freakish display of athleticism by Smith in his prime.

That being said, Jim Lachey was one of the best tackles I've ever seen play. He had just about the perfect build for the position, and he never seemed to make a mistake. If he had stayed healthy, I'm positive he would be a sure-fire Hall of Famer.

Well, to be completely fair, Smith WAS hurt for the Super Bowl. He was never 100% at any time during the playoffs that season. Plus, the Bills thought they would be clever and tried to play a 46 defensive front with Smith over the center, thinking they could get a favorable matchup against Jeff Bostic. It worked at first, because Mark Rypien took several hard shots before the Skins adjusted their protections.

Just the season before, Smith smoked Lachey the entire first quarter of the 1990 final regular season game. I remember that game because it was being hyped because of the Lachey/Smith matchup. Now, Lachey didn't officially give up a sack, but Smith was in the backfield on almost every play. I can remember play where the Skins tried to sucker Smith into the backfield on a screen pass to Earnest Byner. Smith bit hard but was still able to recover and made the tackle from behind for no gain. No man that big (he was playing at nearly 290lbs back then) should have been able to change directions like that. After a couple of hard shots on Ryp, the coaches finally started giving Lachey some help and the Skins went on to win and make the playoffs. It was a freakish display of athleticism by Smith in his prime.

That being said, Jim Lachey was one of the best tackles I've ever seen play. He had just about the perfect build for the position, and he never seemed to make a mistake. If he had stayed healthy, I'm positive he would be a sure-fire Hall of Famer.

You sound like a Bruce Smith fan, or a Bills fan. If he was so hurt, then he should not have been on the field hurting his team. I hated it when we signed a has been Smith

Never posted before..but as my handle indicates...I have much love for Jim Lachey. Clearly the best offensive Left Tackle in the game during the late 80's/early 90's. I patterned my play after him. I video taped the games and would replay each down 3-5 times studying his technique. Quite frankly he was a super-stud and our chances of winning the SuperBowl without him would have been bleak. I played the same position in high school for three years and never gave up a sack. Clearly, I chose the right football player to pattern myself after. Now if we can only get Chris Samuels to pass block speed rushers. Great run blocker, though. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!

Archived