Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Bush Signs Voting Rights Act Extension

Redskins Diehard

Joined by stalwarts of the civil rights movement, President Bush yesterday signed into law a 25-year extension of the Voting Rights Act, the historic legislation that opened the ballot box to millions of blacks across the South in the 1960s.

Under the legislation, the Justice Department will maintain the authority to review changes in ballot procedures, legislative districts and other electoral rules in several states, mainly in the South, to ensure that African Americans and other minorities maintain influence in elections.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/27/AR2006072700181.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was concern about this a couple of weeks ago...

I was reading this article and I was wondering why the justice dept can review only some Southern states and not ALL states.

Under the legislation, the Justice Department will maintain the authority to review changes in ballot procedures, legislative districts and other electoral rules in several states, mainly in the South, to ensure that African Americans and other minorities maintain influence in elections.

I think this is good legislation, and I dont understand why all states arent under this review?

I was reading this article and I was wondering why the justice dept can review only some Southern states and not ALL states.

I think this is good legislation, and I dont understand why all states arent under this review?

Exactly my point.

Archived