Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stupid in America (John Stossel)

JohnLockesGhost

How about we stop arguing semantics and talk about how to improve public education?

I am with Stossel, and have been for years, and the results are staggering against our public education system

The problem here IS the system.

You ask to improve public education but don't tell me what you want to improve. Do you want to improve upon the ability of the public education system's ability to pursue its mission? Since it's not failing there (and may be getting better), I don't think that's what you mean.

It is not getting the "semantics" right that cause many proposed solutions to fail or at least produce unsatisfactory results when you depend on another to execute those solutions.

Nothing will change unless the profession "Teacher" becomes respected and well-paid. What kind of education people expect to get from teachers who get paid around $30k a year?

A person would truly have to be a hero to "stay behind and teach" for that kind of money.

Nothing will change unless the profession "Teacher" becomes respected and well-paid. What kind of education people expect to get from teachers who get paid around $30k a year?

A person would truly have to be a hero to "stay behind and teach" for that kind of money.

The only way teachers will truly get what they deserve, is if they are allowed to compete for wages in the open market. You are merely parroting the union line.

The only way teachers will truly get what they deserve, is if they are allowed to compete for wages in the open market. You are merely parroting the union line.

Yeah I posted that when I was about half way through watching the video.. right after they showed some schools spending extra money on pools and weight rooms but before they started talking about Unions... :) my bad... Sounds like restoring the respectability to the profession would start with addressing the situation with Unions... I think bad teachers are hurting the respectability of the profession more than anything.

Yeah I posted that when I was about half way through watching the video.. right after they showed some schools spending extra money on pools and weight rooms but before they started talking about Unions... :) my bad... Sounds like restoring the respectability to the profession would start with addressing the situation with Unions... I think bad teachers are hurting the respectability of the profession more than anything.

Not to be too harsh, but teachers' unions are parasites. I was so proud of my two younger siblings for NOT joining the NEA when they went to work for the public school system. It was being assumed they would join and were being strongly pressured to, but resisted and instead joined a much smaller "teachers' association." Their dues are smaller and their consciences are clean. :)

Archived