Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Browns the new 2000 Redskins?

BLEED-B&G

I was reading the "5 teams who had great offseasons" thread in the homefield forum. When I came across Clevelands blurb it reminded me of our 2000 offseason. Filled with old big names.

Joe Jerivicious

Willie McGinest

Ted Washington

Do you see the Browns suffering the same fate we did in 2000? Considering they didn't have the same success we did in 1999 I don't see this as a team that had significantly improved with these additions. JJ is nasty but he is old and only put up the numbers he did last year because several wideouts went down in front of him. Willie is going into his 13th season...nuff said.

I don't think it's comparable for 2 reasons. First of all, JJ, McGinest, and Washington were big names relative to this free agent class, but have nowhere near the accomplishments or reputations that Deion, Mark Carrier, and Bruce Smith had in 2000. Also, the 2000 Skins were coming off of a playoff year and were a dissapointment at 8-8, while the Browns are coming off of a 6-10 year and honestly, would probably be pretty happy with 8-8. I think the difference in expecations really seperates the two teams.

I was reading the "5 teams who had great offseasons" thread in the homefield forum. When I came across Clevelands blurb it reminded me of our 2000 offseason. Filled with old big names.

Joe Jerivicious

Willie McGinest

Ted Washington

Do you see the Browns suffering the same fate we did in 2000? Considering they didn't have the same success we did in 1999 I don't see this as a team that had significantly improved with these additions. JJ is nasty but he is old and only put up the numbers he did last year because several wideouts went down in front of him. Willie is going into his 13th season...nuff said.

I don't think it's comparable. All those 2000 signings were done for their names. Snyder had no regard for the importance of chemistry. Washington and McGinnest are up there in yrs, but they're a perfect fit in Romeo's 3-4 defense and will have an impact on their young players. The Browns couldn't have found a better vet to pare up with Kamerion Wimbley who's making the switch from DE to OLB.

JJ is one of the more underrated players in the NFL. He gets tagged as a possession WR because he doesn't have blazing speed, but the guy steps up and plays any role needed of him. Seattle had WR injuries last year with Ingram and Jackson. JJ played the #1 role and caught 10 TDs. Plus he's great guy, dependable and should be positive for a young QB like Charlie Frye.

Not a all. The Browns don't have Casper Milquetoast as their head coach like we did. The guys they brought in while aging are not "I am the King of the World" types like we brought in. The Browns are not coming off of a good season and don't have any expectations. We were the odds on favorites to make it to the SB.

Edit: If your expectations for the Browns is playoffs then yes they are like the 2000 Redskins and will disappoint. But I think the guys Crennel brought in are a lot like Gibbs bringing in James Thrash. He knew his best days were behind him but he also knew that he would work his tail off no matter if he was starting or coming off the bench. McGinest, Washington and Jurevicius will show the young guys what it takes.

The Browns may make the playoffs, but the Steelers and the Bengals are still on top of that division. Baltimore is trying to make a final run, but they got older with MacNair.

You chose 3 old players the Browns got. They also got two stud linemen in Bentley and Schaeffer, who should help anchor that line for years to come. Both are entering their 5th season, and Bentley is well underrated, while Schaeffer comes from a strong running attack in Atlanta. Joe J is great, especially if he'll be complementing Braylon Edwards when he returns. McGinest is there also in a coaching capacity as they overhaul their LB corps with a few rookies. Ted Washington, well, he has ties to Crennel, and the rest of the d-line has already been overhauled.

The Browns may make the playoffs, but the Steelers and the Bengals are still on top of that division. Baltimore is trying to make a final run, but they got older with MacNair.

You chose 3 old players the Browns got. They also got two stud linemen in Bentley and Schaeffer, who should help anchor that line for years to come. Both are entering their 5th season, and Bentley is well underrated, while Schaeffer comes from a strong running attack in Atlanta. Joe J is great, especially if he'll be complementing Braylon Edwards when he returns. McGinest is there also in a coaching capacity as they overhaul their LB corps with a few rookies. Ted Washington, well, he has ties to Crennel, and the rest of the d-line has already been overhauled.

coming from someone who lives within walking distance of Browns Stadium i can tell you that people here expect 8-8 and don't ever get caught up too much in preseason hype. It comes from their years and years of torture with sports teams. They can never believe it till they see it, which is a nice change.

I wouldn't wish what has happend to browns fans on anyone except, Giants, Boys, and Eagles fans.....

They did have a solid offseason and i think they will end up 8-8 for possibly 9-7 who knows.

Archived