Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm a HUGE skins fan..but PHILLY is underrated

Vman2k6

Shawn Barber anyone? Plus Kearse will be 30 in September. BEFORE the season starts!

The Eagles are very high on McCoy and list him as the starter at WIL on their site's depth chart. The plan is for Barber to play in the nickle package. As for Kearse you can revisit this thread on his birthday in Sept[don't forget to send a present] and I will then be wrong in saying "Dawkins is the only starter in his 30's right now."

SonnyJ....Good lively response. I'll make a point to read your next 3,000 posts. I'm glad you think my posts are "classic."

The Eagles are very high on McCoy and list him as the starter at WIL on their site's depth chart. The plan is for Barber to play in the nickle package. As for Kearse you can revisit this thread on his birthday in Sept[don't forget to send a present] and I will then be wrong in saying "Dawkins is the only starter in his 30's right now."

If that makes you happy. Age instead of "Results." Your young defense was in the 20's in rank. If Philly's offense continues to chuck it up 40-50 times, then you sorta know what to expect from your youthful defense. Right? And Dawkins is the "Leader" of the defense. Him being 30+ is faaar more significant than Phillip Daniels or Saleve'a. If you can't see that? I dunno what to tell ya!

If that makes you happy. Age instead of "Results." Your young defense was in the 20's in rank. If Philly's offense continues to chuck it up 40-50 times, then you sorta know what to expect from your youthful defense. Right? And Dawkins is the "Leader" of the defense. Him being 30+ is faaar more significant than Phillip Daniels or Saleve'a. If you can't see that? I dunno what to tell ya!

Having a great FS like Dawk or Taylor is a great luxury but in reality FS is the least important position on the D and probably the easiest to play if your physical skills have started to erode. That's why you see CB's shifting to the postion like Woodson and Vincent when they can't play CB any more. If you don't believe me check the amount of money S's are paid compared to DLM CB's and LB's or check the draft over the years and see how many S's are picked in the first round compared to DLM CB's and LB's.

BTW...I agree if the Eagles throw as much as they did in 05 the D's stats won't be very good. Even though the Skin's O only ran about 10 plays more than the Eagle O during the whole season the Eagle's D was on the field about 3 minutes more a game[from memory] than the Skin's D. So even if both teams give up the same amount of yards per play the D that's out there longer will be much lower ranked than the team that's on the field less. To me that's the major benefit of running the ball like the Skins do...it shortens the game. It would also help if the team didn't commit so many penalties. The Eagles were among the most penalized teams last year which also legthens the amount of time the D is on the field.

FWIW....Last year the yards per play stat went from 4.4 yards per play for the Bears to 5.8 for the Texans. The Skins were 11th at 4.9 and the Eagles were 15th at 5.0.

Having a great FS like Dawk or Taylor is a great luxury but in reality FS is the least important position on the D and probably the easiest to play if your physical skills have started to erode. That's why you see CB's shifting to the postion like Woodson and Vincent when they can't play CB any more. If you don't believe me check the amount of money S's are paid compared to DLM CB's and LB's or check the draft over the years and see how many S's are picked in the first round compared to DLM CB's and LB's.

That's why they named Ed Reed the Defensive MVP in 2004. :rolleyes: Look at what happens to our defense when Sean Taylor is out of the game. Watch either of the Tampa games(injured before first one, ejected from playoff game). Our D made Chris Simms look like a legitimate NFL starter. Seriously, 36 points? And who the hell is Edell Sheperd?

Sean Taylor is a playmaker and a gamechanger; so is Ed Reed, so is Brian Dawkins and so are many other FS. He wasn't the #5 overall pick to be the least important player on the Defense. I would argue that he is the most important player on D, just in front of Griff b/c you can't mask such glaring weaknesses such as a safety that can't shut down the deep ball or a DT that can't get a push and stuff the run as easily as you can a DE that can't get around the edge or a corner that can't stick with receivers on deep routes.

Mcnabb is healthy, that's improvement enough IMO.

Fair enough, but name one player at the QB position that has WON the SB SINGLE-HANDEDLY without a strong supporting cast...I know, that's rhetoric. However, you have to take into account the state of the NFC during the NFC Championship runs the Iggles had. Not until the Iggles had home field advantage locked up (when T.O. went down) did they make it to the dance, and of course they lost. Improvement?...likey, but being a top two team in our division, highly unlikely.

HTTR!

BTW...I agree if the Eagles throw as much as they did in 05 the D's stats won't be very good. Even though the Skin's O only ran about 10 plays more than the Eagle O during the whole season the Eagle's D was on the field about 3 minutes more a game[from memory] than the Skin's D.

Maybe your D was on the field a lot because your D couldn't stop anybody.

Archived