Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Two Handyman Questions

SkinsD

Got two questions for you fix-it-yourself fellows:

1) I have to stain some shelves. I've been sanding them and they are fairly smooth but how perfect does it have to be? Also after I sand them do I just brush the dust off then stain or do I have to wet the shelves first and sand again? Also does stain only require one coat?

2) I have been trying to weed a fairly large garden that hadn't been weeded in about a year. It's a mess to say the least. My problem is that the weeds are growing back faster then I can pull them. There are a lot of flowers and bushes in this garden so I was wary of using some weed killer. I got two gallons of roundup but wanted to get the ok from you green thumbs before I use it. Will it kill the flowers and bushes? How much should I dump on these damn weeds?

Thanks in advance!

1) I have to stain some shelves. I've been sanding them and they are fairly smooth but how perfect does it have to be? Also after I sand them do I just brush the dust off then stain or do I have to wet the shelves first and sand again? Also does stain only require one coat?

2) I have been trying to weed a fairly large garden that hadn't been weeded in about a year. It's a mess to say the least. My problem is that the weeds are growing back faster then I can pull them. There are a lot of flowers and bushes in this garden so I was wary of using some weed killer. I got two gallons of roundup but wanted to get the ok from you green thumbs before I use it. Will it kill the flowers and bushes? How much should I dump on these damn weeds?

Thanks in advance!

1. the sanding depends on what you want....if they're smooth enough for you....after your first coat, you will need to lightly sand them again, then re-coat. if you want another coat, simply repeat.

2. roundup and other weed killers WILL kill your flowers and and at least harm shrubbery. just be sure to spray the weeds directly and stay off the flowers. good luck.

:cheers:

How sanded it is is dependant on how you want them to look. After sanding, use cheesecloth to clean the dust off. DO NOT WET THE WOOD! ;) The stain determines how many coats to use. Pre-stain will speed up the process, so use that. It makes the finished product better.

Thanks in advance!

Use Round-Up. That will work, just use it moderately.

You're welcome. My brother-in-law provided the answers for you. :D

What ^, and ^^ said about the stain. Also depending on what it is you'll need to reapply the stain untill you get the color you want.. I would go at least 2 "coats".. Then also depending on what you're using the wood for I might would add a coat of polyurethane.

ill it kill the flowers and bushes?

Dont spray it on a windy day.. if you're using spray.. if you can.. throw a towel or something over the bushes to prevent over spraying.. If you're using a broadleaf weed killer it shouldn't kill your flowers and bushes but be carefull anyways..... Some flowers and bushes are treated like weeds by round up.. It might kill some herbs, if you have any of those growing.. I know it will kill mint :(.. from first hand experience..

Archived