Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Doug Williams was the token Black Guy of Winning Superbowl QBs

Gigantor

I remember Doug Williams playing in Tampa Bay and sucking big time. He only experienced success with the Redskins in a strike year playing against "scabs" for most of the season.

You have to remember that I didn't watch many of the games that year because there was a player strike and it was a season full of "scabs", college football quality games or less...

Sigh....the real sad thing is that you're 38 years old, and I can school you with my Redskins knowledge.

1) In 1987, the first three weeks of the season were cancelled. The second three weeks were played with scabs, so starting week 7 everyone had crossed the line. And the Redskins were one of the last teams to fully cross the line, so by the time the starters came back, they were playing against the regular players. And three weeks is hardly "most" of the season. :rolleyes:

2) Doug was NOT A SCAB. So he wouldn't have played with the scabs. I can't believe people keep perpetuating this...why would he play against the scabs??? He was striking with everyone else...:doh:

3) Finally, and probably most importantly, Doug was not the starter that season. He came into replace Schroeder at around week 12 or so, maybe even later. So he started playing after the regular players had a few games under their belts to get back into the groove.

Your lack of Redskins football knowledge and basic NFL history in starting this thread is astounding. Hopefully one of the mods will see fit to place you in the group. :doh:

You go a tad far to make a point. I can see voicing your problem with the other post on Didier(in that thread), but to make a seperate thread equally as idiotic as the one you protest..hmm I don't know.

Just illustrating idiocy by following the subject's example...

Doug williams was just another guy who took advantage of the opportunity in front of him.JDG gave him an offense and asked that he make very few mistakes.In the biggest game in the world......Not only did he NOT CHOKE....He made all REDSKIN fans proud.I don't think the REDSKINS bought into the whole BLACK QB......We bought into THE QB......

I am so glad that Jason Campbell is our QB...Not our BLACK QB...

Thank god...we are all making some progress....But after reading this thread title....I gotta wonder...is it all of us.....OR JUST SOME>

Thank god...we are all making some progress....But after reading this thread title....I gotta wonder...is it all of us.....OR JUST SOME>

How come I didn't see your same objection on the "Didier is a token white guy..." thread?

This thread sounds like racist garbage to me. If a thread was started solely for the purpose of calling an african american player a "token black guy" wouldn't that be wrong? How is this any different? Is there a legitimate point to this thread? If so, I fail to see it.

A "Yep, I agree" after this post in the original thread probably would've sufficed.

When i was in elementary school at Terra Centere elementary school in Burke, Va Doug Williams lived in a town house off Burke Center Parkway in the commons. He won a superbowl as qb and lived in a town house in the same income bracket as my parents paltry 20,000 to 22,000. He lived near my babysitter and we used to throw a nerf toddler ball in his yard and try to get him to come out of the town house. Sometimes we would catch him coming home and he would play ball with us (as much ball as a pro player could with 5-6 year olds). You wouldnt believe the element of cool this provided us in the glory years (including my old man's jealous stare when he would pick me up there). Scab season or not the man is INCREDIBLE. Knowing that the skins were one of the last teams to play a black player in the NFL...we should consider Doug's superbowl accomplishment as one of our shining moments. Plus my sister was born that week!!!!!!

Sigh....the real sad thing is that you're 38 years old, and I can school you with my Redskins knowledge.

1) In 1987, the first three weeks of the season were cancelled. The second three weeks were played with scabs, so starting week 7 everyone had crossed the line. And the Redskins were one of the last teams to fully cross the line, so by the time the starters came back, they were playing against the regular players. And three weeks is hardly "most" of the season. :rolleyes:

2) Doug was NOT A SCAB. So he wouldn't have played with the scabs. I can't believe people keep perpetuating this...why would he play against the scabs??? He was striking with everyone else...:doh:

3) Finally, and probably most importantly, Doug was not the starter that season. He came into replace Schroeder at around week 12 or so, maybe even later. So he started playing after the regular players had a few games under their belts to get back into the groove.

Your lack of Redskins football knowledge and basic NFL history in starting this thread is astounding. Hopefully one of the mods will see fit to place you in the group. :doh:

Incidentally you forgot to tell this clown that Doug Williams didnt "suck" either.

Ok, maybe I'm taking this thread and misinterpreting it but, I think it is being said that Doug Williams was lucky somehow that he played when he did and that is why he won a Super Bowl? If that is the case, didn't he have to go through the regular players in the playoffs and Super Bowl? If I am wrong in my response to this thread, disregard this post. :D

White, Black, Yellow ????? What the hell is the difference??? We are all human beings and it is really astounding how in the 21st Century human beings are hung up over something as unimportant as the color of someone's skin!

Doug Williams led a Piss poor TB team to I believe 3 playoffs and and NFC Championship game. He came in at a time when our starter was floundering and he took all of us on a magical ride that if you are a true Skins fan will never forget.

I for one did not think that we had the best talent that year but they had a ton of heart, including Doug Williams who came thru time and time again under pressure.

Case in point. NFC Championship game against the Vikings. 4th Qtr and the scored tied 10-10 with about 13:45 to play. Williams was something like 5 for 20 and the Skins did not have a 1st down up to that point in the 2nd half. The Vikings had just tied the game on a long drive and we needed to counter. Doug Williams Completed a huge 3rd and 5 to gary Clark for about 43 yards and minutes later hit Clark again with a lazer for the winning score! A handful of QB's could have made that kinda throw. It was a major league fastball.

I don't have to tell you how he was down 10-0 in the SB and most of the country rooting for John Elway. Doug gets hurt in the 1st play of the 2nd Qtr and then comes back and has the most phenomenal quarted of football of anyone in the history of the game. If Joe Gibbs was not such a class guy, Doug Williams could have thrown for 8 TD's in that game! We did nothing but run the ball the whole 2nd half because we were up so big.

I love Doug for what he brought to the table and his leadership. He was voted one of the 70th greatest Redskins and he deserves it!!! JG influence does not just extend to Doug Williams, Theismann, Schroder and Ripen all benefited from that!

I thought the Dider thread was a joke. Everyone that has knowledge about the Redskins knows that Clint was a valuable player and had good hands, size and speed!

To summerize. Doug Williams will always be remembered with great affection by true Redskins fans along with Riiggins, Theisman, Clark etc. They brought us a championships and memorable moments that we will never forget. Doug Williams was never a Token anything.

Doug Williams was however a good(not great) QB with tons of heart and Class!!!! Doug Williams himself said that he did not think of himself as a Black QB but a QB of the Washington Redskins.

The shame of it is that he even had to say anything at all.

who really cares what the colour of the skins of players who wear B&G is, honestly.....who gives a flying fig.....Joe Gibbs does not now or ever pick a token player under any format.......he picks the best players available for the position

Well all I have to say is that Shar Pourdanesh was the token Iranian on the Redskins and he did suck. :laugh:

Archived