Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dolphins Overhype!

Everywhere I look, people are picking the Dolphins to either challenge or unseat the Patriots in the AFC East. I realize that they ran off 6 straight wins to finish 9-7 last year, but I for one, think they are a .500 team at best.

Every year, some team from that division has made a late-season run to become the sexy pick to beat NE the following year. The Jets made a late run to the playoffs only to fall flat the next year. A couple years ago, the Bills won a bunch toward the end of the year and looked like a team on the rise only to suck last year. I think the same will happen in Miami this year.

I know it's random, but does anyone have any compelling reasons why they think Miami will definitely be a playoff team this year?

Well nothing is a definite, but I think they have a decent shot to make the playoffs. Here's a few reasons off the top of my head:

Nick Saban

Weak AFC East - Bills and Jets alone should be 4 wins, maybe split with NE

New OC Mike Mularky

Ronnie Brown emerging and not sharing carries

A quarterback not named Frerotte starting

I think the main reason is Nick Saban. He had a great finish last year with a team that had been in shambles before he got there, and now he's had a year to mold the team in his image. However, I agree with you. I think there are too many "if"s with the Dolphins ("IF Culpeper is healthy", "IF Ronnie Brown can carry the bulk of the load", etc.). I think they'll be good, but I don't expect them to unseat the Patriots just yet.

EDIT: I just looked at their schedule last year. Of their 6 wins in a row to end the season, the only one which impresses me was the San Diego win. Other than that, they beat the Raiders, Bills, Jets, Titans, and a Patriots team which I believe was resting starters on the last week (is that the Flutie drop kick game? I can't remember...).

Other than that, they had losses last year to the Jets, Bills, and Browns. I'm just not quite sold yet.

I agree...they're getting way too much pub for a team that has done nothing the past few seasons - just like Arizona was last year. They were utterly exposed, as I knew they would be. One late surge is not convincing enough to put them ahead of the Patriots.

i believe miami is a much improved team, while i can't say the same about the pats. In addition to the big pick-ups they had this offseason, i also believe in yr. 2 of the Saban era this team is gonna be dangerous. Think about gibbs' second year back in contrast to his first. They should be more polished in every phase of the game. Furthermore, and i said this last year, NE is not the same team that won all those super bowls. they lost both thier offensive and defensive cordinators. And with good teams that lose great leaders it takes time for those effects to really come out. Look at the former greatest show on turf, the rams. When Vermeil left even an idiot like martz reaped the rewards of the foundation that vermeil set for the next couple of years. But every year was steady on the decline. Now i'm not saying billichek is an idiot, but to lose those kind of guys in crennell and weis is a big deal. I mean even joe gibbs would struggle if he lost GW and al saunders (if saunders was here previously. ) i'm not trying to take anything away from billichek but i really believe those superbowls were a product of Weis. I said this last year, but i think weis might be the best offesive mind in the world today. i reached this epiphany last year when i saw what he did for notre dame's qb. here is an unheralded qb, throwing 5 td's in a game to mediocre recievers who are wide open. and his name is BRADY quinn. are you seeing the similarities? and now Tom Brady the late round pick is considered to be one of the best of all time, and Brady Quinn in one year is an early candidate for heisman. coincidence?

The Dolphins are being hyped because everyone thinks since Saban worked for Bill Bellichick he is the second coming of him. The media (especially Peter King) worship at the altar of Bill Parcells and Bellichick. That's why the Jets hired Mangini and passed up more experienced coordinators that would have been better fits for them.

I think this is just the media's way of paying respect to a good run from last year.

I gotta admit, I truly thought they would be horrible last year.

I take my hat off to what they accomplished.

Maybe some of the luster wears off this year, but some of you are being

a little too critical. They really did over achieve last year.

They went 9-7 with Gus I think he played fairly well.With Culpepper now I think they hurt themselves at the qb position just because Culpepper is still unproven. He played horrible last year without Randy Moss, he has alot to prove this year especially coming off a major knee injury and if he doesn't work out then their in worse shape with Joey Harrington, They should've kept good ole Gus to backup Culpepper since he already had one year under his belt with that offense,now they have 2 new qb's learning a new offense.

Archived