Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Effect Will Spurrier Have On The NFL?

TennesseeCarl

Obviously, if he comes in and his offense fails dismally (i.e. is only 30% more effective than Marty's) he won't have much of an effect.<br /><br /> But what if Steve Spurrier comes in and takes 'cast offs' like Doering, Anthony and Weurffel and makes them integral parts of a high powered offense? What if Doering catches 37 balls for significant yardage? <br /><br /> Will there be an immediate rush around the league to install the 'Burgundy Gun' system? Or might some of the personnel folks around the league be forced to re-think some of their decisions? <br /><br /> I've got to admit, I'm getting mighty curious to see how it's going to work. I don't think mini-camp will answer many questions for me (although it might open Steve Spurrier's eyes a bit).

He may be able to turn the tide of rampant free agency. If guys who play for him are so loyal that they stick with him and sign for less to stay here. That they actually have fun playing the game like they did in college. All this breeds continuity and cohisivness, which is conducive to being succesfull. Then more then just his fun and gun we be simulated. His personality and style we be imitated. And that would be great for the NFL.

Steve Spurrier will have the impact that is similar to Don Coryell, which also produced the bright student named Joe Gibbs.<br /><br />However, Gibbs wasn't a household name coming in the NFL, wasn't even a head coach at first and wasn't exactly sure how he'd use ALL the Skins players. What he did know was that he was adaptive to change, had schemes and plans that could work, and knew how to deal very effectively with people on ALL levels. <br /><br />Spurrier has a system that will work, is as innovative and trusting, patient and to the point as Joe Gibbs.<br /><br />The immediate impact is already being felt. This seems to be the most active off-season for the media concerning coaching and players in the NFL.<br /><br />Wayne Fonts had an idea that he could stretch a field with an overage of passing and draws and screens. Then Barry Sanders came and that had to change. Fonts was close, but Martz upped the ante, after Vermiel showed him what to do with it all. This was an "extreme" version of the WCO, while Gibbs was an innovator of using the RUN as the sole battering ram. Walsh countered with balances and a certain coordination with the other aspects of the team, much like the Browns and Packers of the 60's, Steelers, Dolphins, Chiefs of the 70's and the Cowboys of the 70's.<br /><br />So the coach can have a set of principles to build on, and yet be prepared to make overhaul changes in certain areas that makes the best use of the players. Laugh at Campos, yes I did, but he at times squeezed some offense out of the Cowboys down the stretch. Billick has yet to measure up to his title as an OC minded HC.<br /><br />Spurrier will deliver.

Archived