Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tony Stewart wins the Pepsi 400 at Daytona

nelms

Why? I'm not a racing fan so I don't know what this means... is it because they go slower?

Because it's not really competition, it's demolishion derby.

No car can pass by it's self due to restrictor plates and you wind up with 20 to 30 cars in a pack. If one driver screws up, he takes out half the field, that's just not racing to me.

Restrictor plates were originally brought about because before the plates were instituted, Bill Elliott and Davey Allison dominated any race that was at Daytona or Talladega.

You had the late Dale Earnhardt and Darrell Waltrip complaining about Elliott and Allison having an unfair advantage when in reality, NASCAR should have told them to work harder to get better.

I do not by the whole "keeping the cars from flying in the stands" excuse that NASCAR trots out every time some fans complain about plate racing. The truth is Chevrolet was getting owned at these tracks until the plate era began.

No car can pass by it's self due to restrictor plates and you wind up with 20 to 30 cars in a pack. If one driver screws up, he takes out half the field, that's just not racing to me.

Restrictor plates were originally brought about because before the plates were instituted, Bill Elliott and Davey Allison dominated any race that was at Daytona or Talladega.

You had the late Dale Earnhardt and Darrell Waltrip complaining about Elliott and Allison having an unfair advantage when in reality, NASCAR should have told them to work harder to get better.

I do not by the whole "keeping the cars from flying in the stands" excuse that NASCAR trots out every time some fans complain about plate racing. The truth is Chevrolet was getting owned at these tracks until the plate era began.

When Elliott was going 212 and sure to go faster as time went on, Nascar had to nip it in the butt. Richard Petty had a wreck where parts of the car went into the stands and actually tore down part of the fence itself. It was a safety issue not only for the fans but for the drivers also. It took time to introduce the plates and therefore Elliott was able to dominate for another year. People complained when Nascar instituted a pit road speed limit. The same thing happened after Earnhardt died. It takes time to introduce new measures of safety. It may seem that Nascar catered to Waltrip and Earnhardt, but it was a safety issue.

I don't believe Nascar believed restrictor plates would create bigger packs of cars, but the thing is it is safer. Now the outcome of restrictor plates may not seem totally safe, but imagine if a car going 188 mph killed Earnhardt, imagine what else could have happened when the cars would have eventually gone 220 mph.

I also forgot about Bobby Allison's bad wreck in 1987 at Talladega where there were fans injured. Immediately after the race there were races at Daytona and Talladega, Nascar reduced the carburetor size. They also made drivers use them at New Hampshire after Kenny Irwin and Adam Petty were killed in 2000. They only used them for one race though.

Secondly Chevy, Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac would have made up that speed eventually. Nascar approved a new rear window for the Fords at the time. It was an aerodynamic advantage and the following year the other four manufacturers came up with similar windows. Rear (and front windows for that matter) were basically vertical. Engineers at Ford were smart enough to contour them.

Once last thing here, Rusty Wallace tested a car at without a restrictor plate in Talladega last year, reaching a top speed of 235 MPH in the backstretch and a one-lap average of 228 mph. He went on to say afterwards it was out of control.

Besides taking the banking out of the two tracks, making skinnier tires, or mandating much smaller engines; what else should Nascar do?

I also forgot about Bobby Allison's bad wreck in 1987 at Talladega where there were fans injured. Immediately after the race there were races at Daytona and Talladega, Nascar reduced the carburetor size. They also made drivers use them at New Hampshire after Kenny Irwin and Adam Petty were killed in 2000. They only used them for one race though.

Secondly Chevy, Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac would have made up that speed eventually. Nascar approved a new rear window for the Fords at the time. It was an aerodynamic advantage and the following year the other four manufacturers came up with similar windows. Rear (and front windows for that matter) were basically vertical. Engineers at Ford were smart enough to contour them.

Once last thing here, Rusty Wallace tested a car at without a restrictor plate in Talladega last year, reaching a top speed of 235 MPH in the backstretch and a one-lap average of 228 mph. He went on to say afterwards it was out of control.

Besides taking the banking out of the two tracks, making skinnier tires, or mandating much smaller engines; what else should Nascar do?

The engine size rule is out of date.

Can you go buy a Tarus/Fusion with a 358 cu. in engine?? How bout a Monte Carlo??

I think a nice start would be getting back to actually being "stock cars".

At least mandate that no engine is over 300 cu. in. That would at least be a good start at lowering speeds and giving the drivers back the throttle response that the restrictor plates have taken away from them.

Even the late Dale Earnhardt was campaigning for smaller engines and even after his death(in large part due to pack racing) NASCAR has done nothing to address this issue.

Archived