Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Redskins linebacker Holdman eyes return to form

mrjoolius

Every off-season is full of the "this guy won't stink again" articles. I hope Holdman has his butt in shape and his head wired to his ass. But, what is more interesting is that Clemmons has been moved to strong side. If that is true he certainly won't start. He is cat quick. Did he gain weight? Have the coaches decided Holdman or Rocky are it and need the reps? I thought he had the most "up-side" until Rocky catches on.

Yeah stats aren't an exact science. But dude, we're talking about a discrepency of 60 tackles in two seasons. The margin of error is not that big.

I think that different sites show different stats because some sites will count assisted (gang tackles) as a tackle. So I'm sure one year he had 160 tackles, but 100 solo (which is really solid) and 60 assisted which shows that he was always around the ball.

Nothing to freak out guys. Man do some of us need training camp. :laugh:

I think that different sites show different stats because some sites will count assisted (gang tackles) as a tackle. So I'm sure one year he had 160 tackles, but 100 solo (which is really solid) and 60 assisted which shows that he was always around the ball.

Nothing to freak out guys. Man do some of us need training camp. :laugh:

Check it again. NFL.com has credited him with 107 tackles (93 solo) in '01 and 78 tackles (49 solo) in '04. Redskins.com gives him 145 (101 solo) in '01 and 110 (56 solo) '04. They both list solo tackles so it has to be that someone is actually wrong here. It looks like its Redskins.com, and it looks like Lenny P is mocking us for it.

I don't give a crap about numbers errors. This article is very significant for Lenny P. What is the world coming too? First Peter King decided to re-evaluate his position on Art Monk, now Lenny P writes an Article about the Skins that could almost be seen as positive? Isn't this like the ninth sign of the apocolypse?

Tackles stats are notoriously variable - it all depends who is keeping the stats and how they decide to give credit for a tackle. I used to set up my fantasy football league with defensive players (instead of team defense) but I ended up feeling like it was silly because of the way the stats are compiled. Anyway, regardless of his stats, anyone who remembers Holdman early in his career with the Bears will remember that he played very well. His career went south after he was badly injured in 2002. I thought the Browns were getting a steal when they got him, but that did not work out. Still, I was excited when we signed him because I remembered the Holdman who had starred for the Bears and thought he would be a great addition if he could recapture that form. Obviously that didn't happen in 2005, but I guess Dale Lindsey still thinks it is possible. Hopefully another year removed from his injuries, he will be that much more recovered and be closer to the level he was at with the Bears. I guess I am optimistic about him because (based on his early NFL career) I feel like he at least has the potential to be a star player. Of course, we don't need him to be a star for us, so I think a successful 2006 season is realistic. Even Holdman seems to think he has a lot of room to improve on 2005, so that's probably a good sign that he is working towards having a better year than last year.

s0crates, you give those two WAY too much credit. They've proven themselves time and time again to be very simple men who do very little research.

Regardless of Holdman's actual stats, the coaches on this team have one agenda, win the Super Bowl. If they feel, after watching and training and teaching all these guys, that Holdman is the best for the position, then he's clearly doing much more than he did last year. I'm looking forward to seeing what he's bringing to the table this year.

It's great to think that the Redskins may have solid depth at the one position that appeared to be up in the air. A scenario that has Holdman playing well at the beginning of the season and McIntosh working his way into the lineup sounds great to me.

Check it again. NFL.com has credited him with 107 tackles (93 solo) in '01 and 78 tackles (49 solo) in '04. Redskins.com gives him 145 (101 solo) in '01 and 110 (56 solo) '04. They both list solo tackles so it has to be that someone is actually wrong here. It looks like its Redskins.com, and it looks like Lenny P is mocking us for it.

I think you're going a little far with this. Reading between the lines is one thing...

Why is this even a big deal? Tackles aren't even an official stat, and this is the reason.

I think the difference is that NFL.com doesn't count special teams tackles.
No, that can't be it, NFL.com counts special teams tackles.
s0crates, you give those two WAY too much credit. They've proven themselves time and time again to be very simple men who do very little research.
I just find it interesting that Holdman has these inflated stats on our website, and Lenny P chooses to use those instead of NFL.com or ESPN.com in his article. Nobody besides Redskins.com has given Holdman credit for that many tackles until Lenny P wrote this article. Maybe I am giving him too much credit, but it looks to me like he is mocking us.

No, that can't be it, NFL.com counts special teams tackles.

I just find it interesting that Holdman has these inflated stats on our website, and Lenny P chooses to use those instead of NFL.com or ESPN.com in his article. Nobody besides Redskins.com has given Holdman credit for that many tackles until Lenny P wrote this article. Maybe I am giving him too much credit, but it looks to me like he is mocking us.

They are probably adding his assisted tackles. This happens all the time with linebackers. Check Urlacher's numbers and you'll see a difference. When they want to make him look impressive they'll cite the 170 tackles or whatever but his stat card will read 100 or so because those are his solo tackles.

Check out a box score from NFL.com and you can see the solo and assisted tackles for defensive players. This discrepancy is apparent with LBs because they make more tackles than DBs and DLinemen.

OMG Warrick Holdman isnt on the skins roster according to SI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/rosters/redskins.html

I think the reason SI doesnt have him listed, was the roster they show there, was updated Tuesday, April 18, 2006, and I believe Holdman was still a free agent at the time. And had not resigned with us yet. Somone correct me if I am wrong.

They are probably adding his assisted tackles. This happens all the time with linebackers. Check Urlacher's numbers and you'll see a difference. When they want to make him look impressive they'll cite the 170 tackles or whatever but his stat card will read 100 or so because those are his solo tackles.

Check out a box score from NFL.com and you can see the solo and assisted tackles for defensive players. This discrepancy is apparent with LBs because they make more tackles than DBs and DLinemen.

Somebody else suggested that this might be the source of the discrepency, but it doesn't seem to be. NFL.com has credited him with 107 tackles (93 solo) in '01 and 78 tackles (49 solo) in '04. Redskins.com gives him 145 (101 solo) in '01 and 110 (56 solo) '04. They both list solo tackles.

Archived