spanishomelette

McIntosh: 'I'm Glad to Be a Redskin'

By Gary Fitzgerald and Casey Husband

Redskins.com

April 29, 2006

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=16840

McIntosh56.jpg

Roger McIntosh

Linebacker Roger "Rocky" McIntosh was drafted by the Redskins in the second round of the 2006 NFL Draft. He spoke with Redskins.com shortly after the team selected:

Q: What are your initital thoughts on coming to Washington?

A: "I feel good. I appreciate them going out there and picking me up. I am glad to be a Washington Redskin."

Q: Did you get a sense that you were the player the Redskins had targeted all along?

A: "I spent a lot of time with them when I was there. There was nothing but positive things that that they had to say about me. They really showed that they cared about me."

Q: Did you think you might get drafted higher?

A: "I thought I was going to go a little higher. They traded up to come and get me and I appreciate that."

Q: What are your impressions of Washington's defense?

A: "They are a very stingy defense and very athletic. The guys just go out there and fly around and that's what I did my senior year at Miami. They did their homework and found it in me that I am fast, can play all three positions and that I am a very aggressive guy."

Q: How did your visit go here when Washington was recruiting you?

A: "It went well. I spent a lot of time with the linebackers coach and the defensive coordinator."

Q: What most impressed you about Washington?

A: "They have an awesome defense with a lot of superstars. They have a lot of guys from my alma mater. They're a very attractive team to be associated with."

Q: What is it about the Miami Hurricanes and the success that a lot of their players have at the NFL level?

A: "We just do what we do. We're very well-prepared coming out of college. We compete at the highest level, against each other and against opponents. And we win a lot of games, point-blank."

Q: What kind of expectations do you have for your rookie year?

A: "I just want to get out there and play. I love playing the game of football and I'm glad I've made it this far. I know it's not over yet. I have a lot more work to do."

Q: What do you think you do best on the football field?

A: "Probably attacking the line of scrimmage--that is one of the best attributes that I have. I attack with my speed. I also know where plays are going and I read offensive sets."

Q: Coaches here have talked about your versatility. Coming into the league, what position do you think you are best suited to?

A: "I play where I'm needed. My weight can go up or down if the position requires it. I can move well. I learn things quickly. Wherever they need me, that's where I'm going to play. Personally, I like to play outside."

Q: What are your thoughts about possibly following LaVar Arrington at outside linebacker?

A: "It would be great to go in there and follow in his footsteps. He was a great player along with the other linebackers there. I am just happy to move into any spot I can."

Man, this guy is going to be a contributor I can feel it. He's also a hard worker and smart? Why wasn't this guy picked in the top 20?

He had a knee injury as a sophomore and missed the whole season, but he came back strong as a junior and senior. But it was the injury that scared teams off. Without it, he would have been a first rounder for sure.

Obviously he has the skills. This is a great pick imo. We got the guy we wanted all along and did what we needed to do to get him.

Yea, It's gonna be great watching this guy. Sean Taylor, Roger McIntosh, Clinton Portis, and Santana Moss.

Wow...we really are picking up great players from Miami.:applause: :cheers:

Yea, It's gonna be great watching this guy. Sean Taylor, Roger McIntosh, Clinton Portis, and Santana Moss.

Wow...we really are picking up great players from Miami.:applause: :cheers:

just wait till next year....we've got some crazy talents going into the draft if things go according to plan

Okay, the guy may be pretty good. But is he worth two #2s and a #6?!!

I dont consider one of the 2nds as us giving it up. Because we got another one in return. How often does a 6th round player become good? not often. So really we only gave up a 2nd to move up 18 spots. Plus the Jets are gonna be dissapointed with their 2nd next year, because it will be a very high 2nd.

I dont consider one of the 2nds as us giving it up. Because we got another one in return. How often does a 6th round player become good? not often. So really we only gave up a 2nd to move up 18 spots. Plus the Jets are gonna be dissapointed with their 2nd next year, because it will be a very high 2nd.

Amen brother

Okay, the guy may be pretty good. But is he worth two #2s and a #6?!!

Please man, just enjoy the pick. For all we know that 6th round pick wouldnt even make the team and that 2nd round pick could be a bust. While McIntosh is one of the top linebackers in this draft but the only reason people were scared of him and didnt want to pick him was.

1. Injury Concerns

2. Deep Draft in Linebackers who don't have injury concerns.

3. Needs to develope stronger upper body, can have trouble getting off blocks becuase of it. Fixable.

Trust me, this was a great pick for the Washington Redskins. HTTR! Not to mention that 2nd Round Pick is gonna be so high its gonna be like it was a 3rd Round Pick instead of a 2nd Round Pick for the Jets.

McIntosh56.jpg

Q: What is it about the Miami Hurricanes and the success that a lot of their players have at the NFL level?

A: "We just do what we do. We're very well-prepared coming out of college. We compete at the highest level, against each other and against opponents. And we win a lot of games, point-blank."

And they like to WIN ON THE ROAD :applause:

Q: What do you think you do best on the football field?

A: "Probably attacking the line of scrimmage--that is one of the best attributes that I have. I attack with my speed. I also know where plays are going and I read offensive sets."

I'll take that.

Archived