Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Running up the Score doesn't exist

GatorMarc

It's a myth invented by people with weak stomachs who have no true appreciation for the game.

Reporters all the time talk about RUTSing like it's some recent phenominon. That coaches today have no class like the coaches of yesterday... it's all part of the myth that the "good ol days" were better.

Of course, they forget about something:

Georgia Tech 222

Cumberland 0

Look back 50 years and you'll find ridiculous scores like that one. The reason is that there was less parody then AND people understood that the point of the game was to score and win.

Bobby Bowden once noted that intentionally not playing your best is called point shaving in basketball and you can go to jail. So, why in football, do people think it's classy to point shave?

Great thread. I have never understood people being upset over running up the score. I would be more offended if someone gave us mercy.... that would suck. If the Niners happen to score 50 on us, I would be so pissed, not at the Niners, but at our players.

Great Bobby Bowden quote, I think that says it all.

To put it in "action-movie" terms, not running up the score is like not putting the final bullet in somebody you have beaten to the brink of death. I've read it written by some Eagles fans on my board that they feel that not kicking the field goal in the last minute Monday night was a bigger insult to Spurrier than actually doing it....kind of like to say, "We got you and you know it. But we're laying off."

Reid should have just kicked it and moved on. Of course, then the media would have gotten all over him for doing it. Works against you both ways.

Sure would DBL, from your perspective. I'd be damn furious! I remember a couple years ago in the final week when Carolina and Green Bay (was it?) were "playing each other" against different teams because the tie-breakers came down to points. I'll never forget the flow of the NFL Primetime segment that was sequenced in "time-of-day" and featured intermingled highlights of the two games. One team got ahead in thier game by almost 30 points, and 18 points in the tiebreaker and pulled thier starting QB. Watching the scoreboard of the other game, they saw the opponent catching up, and quickly went from a "run the clock out mentality" to "we have to score again". Too funny, but in a 16 game schedule, it's bound to happen.

It's going to be more probable now that all division rivals play 14 games in common and some conference rivals play 10 games in common, and adding to that the fact that there are only six division games each season. Think of how many divisional and conference 10-6 tie-breaking scenarios there will be, with most of the teams having 7-5 conference records and 4-2 division records. Gonna be good.

DAMN! He shoulda kicked it!

I've read it written by some Eagles fans on my board that they feel that not kicking the field goal in the last minute Monday night was a bigger insult to Spurrier than actually doing it....kind of like to say, "We got you and you know it. But we're laying off."

That's exactly right. Anyone who's played sports knows it's far more insulting when your opponent starts messing around because he doesn't feel he has to try anymore. Show the other guys respect and play until the whistle blows.

To be perfectly honest, my first impulse when they got to 4th and goal was, "Field Goal!".

That said... I still can understand why Reid didn't do it. Will it come back to bite us in the ***.... I highly doubt it. But you never know. I just can't see it coming to that no matter who wins the division. Given the state of the NFC and the other divisions, I can't forsee, at this point, a wild card coming out of the East in any fashion with only two teams getting wildcard spots.

And I still think it's too early to be even considering stuff like this at week two. Hell the Skins could take off next week and the Eagles could tank. Never know what's going to happen.

And personally, if I was coaching... I'd have gone full bore scoring as much as I could until the LAST five minutes of the fourth quarter. I've seen TOOOO many miraculous comebacks in my time to not go all out until the other team was dead and stomped into the turf. :D

Archived