Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help! Question for some of you IT guys

HOF44

I am trying to install 2 new client computers in a Windows 2003 Server domain. I have about 8 other computers functioning properly on the network. I install the new ones and everything is working perfectly except the internet connection. I can map to the server and ping other sites through a vpn. I checked the ipconfig /all for a computer that worked and one that doesn't and they are identical. I tried doing a straight ping to bypass the browser software and still get nothing from any site. I disabled all firewall software on the new computers. I am using DHCP on the server and its working properly. Can't find anything referencing the problem on the net.

So any of you IT admin guys think you can throw me a lifeline?

so you are saying that the gateway and dns is correct? and you still can't get to the internet, check your intenet connection settings, in the connections tab, check the LAN settings and make sure it's not trying to use a proxy server. also do a tracert to cnn.com or something, this will tell you were your signal is dying.

so you are saying that the gateway and dns is correct? and you still can't get to the internet, do a tracert to an external domain, that should tell you were the signal is dying.

Yep the gateway, the dns server and the winserver are all correct. I'll try the traceroute and see what it gives me. Gotta DL a traceroute program and burn it, then load it onto the new computer.

you should be able to do it from a command window, also check your internet connection settings, in the connections tab, make sure it isn't trying to use a proxy server

I already checked the IE connection tab.

I hate to get "geeky", but is there anyway you could post some screenshots of your ipconfig results? Also, why do you need to download anything to run tracert? Are all the machines part of the same LAN segment, or do you have any routers inbetween the Domain Controller/Gateway and your hosts?

There are switches in between the gateway and the DNS server. Ran tracert and it gets to the gateway and then times out after that. I'll post screenshots monday leaving now, thank for the input guys. I'll try it some more monday.

Archived