Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Computer Guys Help Me Out!!!

qcraftsman

I must say, I built my computer over the summer, and I have been satisfied with it. I did not have to load any extra junk on it as I just loaded Windows XP straight from a cd, and that was it. I hope it continues to last. I spent 500$ for it, and a friend helped me set it up, already had the monitor.

Also, if you do build a computer, the parts you get may help you upgrade easier. For instance, I can now upgrade my computer by just replacing the processor a few years from now, which will only cost about 150$.

Chewy posted a good link, as you can also specify parts with those as well. here is a similar online store:

http://www.ibuypower.com/mall/lobby.htm

Dells are great otherwise in my opinion, they did all the tasks I needed to well (similar tasks to yours), and I beat that thing a lot, and it only crashed on me once, and all I had to do then was make a new Windows XP User. My parents are using it now, as I gave it to them when I built mine.

If you want a quality computer that will play games well, try looking to a small business in your area that configures computers... I could build you a wicked computer for $1000 and still make a decent profit for myself, in fact I am doing that for my brother minus the profit part. He is gonna get away with $800 and be getting a really good computer.

The problem you get with going to Dell, or HP, or whomever with preconfigured systems is that you wind up with a system that isn't custom made to you.

Small computer shops can put you together a great little computerwith similar specs to Dell(the upgraded models) and it be of higher quality and with better service.

If you are going to go with a larger company you have heard a couple of good suggestions... Dell XPS systems and Alienware are really good although I prefer Alienware because all their parts are non-proprietary the same as you would find in a small computer shop's computer.

I don't know about HP's recent history but all their older stuff was known as crap. There is even an old saying "Friends don't let friends buy HP."

But companies and their quality rise and fall and that is true for all companies with a few exceptions, Alienware is always known for high quality and Emachines are known for low quality.

Personally I would recomend something around these specs, but remember that I am an intel loyalist, ever since I got screwed royally by AMD on 3 straight processors that was supposed to fix their heating problems.

Intel 3.2 Ghz with 2MB Cache

1GB-1.5GB Ram

ATI x700 or better or Geforce 6600 or better

anything 120GB Hard Disk space is good but make sure its SATA, if possible ask about a 16MB cache on the drive(it will make the drive faster)

DVD writers are cheap but make sure its a 16x dual layer +/- drive

This next part is for a small company built computer,

Ask for an Antec power supply and don't let them talk you out of it. Power Supplies are the main part that goes out on computers and a power supply that is malfunctioning is the primary cause of other parts going bad. This will cost you a little more but believe me it is money well spent.

Ask for either an Asus Motherboard or an MSI Motherboard, both of these are higher quality parts that carry a 3 year warranty.

Usually the quality of these specific parts inside the computer is what determines the reliability of the rest of the computer, that is why I say higher quality on these parts specifically.

Archived