Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Proper format for my research paper . . . help!!

Slateman

Ugh, I can't find the stupid writing handbook.

Here's the thing. I have my history research paper. In it, I have several quotes from Rommel's memoirs. These count as primary sources. There are 3-4 lines long. bout a paragraph.

And for the life of me, I don't know how they should appear in my paper. All I can remember is APA style, which is for my psychology papers. My history research paper requires MLA style. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I would leave now.

Example 1

In italics is the quote from Rommel's memoirs. Should they be seperate from the preceding paragraph, with larger margins than the rest of the paper? the parentheses would be removed and a footnote placed on the page.

But upon further examination, there is a method to his madness and his plans seem downright genius. Here was no exception. Rommel described his plan in his memoirs:

The British command was to be made to expect our main attack in the north and centre of the Gazala line. We hoped to persuade them to deploy their armour behind the infantry positions in this sector. The idea of a German frontal attack against the Gazala position could not apperat so very far fetched to the British command, as it was quite within the bounds of possibility that we would prefer it to the risky right hook round Bir Hacheim. If we failed to mislead the British command into concentrating the whole of their armour in this sector, then we hoped that they would send at least part of it up there and thus split their striking power. (Rommel Papers, 202).

Option 2

In this one, the quote just continues as part of the paragraph

But upon further examination, there is a method to his madness and his plans seem downright genius. Here was no exception. Rommel described his plan in his memoirs:"The British command was to be made to expect our main attack in the north and centre of the Gazala line. We hoped to persuade them to deploy their armour behind the infantry positions in this sector. The idea of a German frontal attack against the Gazala position could not apperat so very far fetched to the British command, as it was quite within the bounds of possibility that we would prefer it to the risky right hook round Bir Hacheim. If we failed to mislead the British command into concentrating the whole of their armour in this sector, then we hoped that they would send at least part of it up there and thus split their striking power." (Rommel Papers, 202)

ok, which one is proper format for a MLA style paper? And don't tell me to ask my professor. She will just say, its in you handbook :mad: I pay all this money just to be told its in the book. She whines and complains in emails to me about me missing class, but the one time I need something from her . . . .

Google much? My handbook is right beside me but I'm not doing your work for you:D

Edit:

You're supposed to indent the paragraph of the quote your using since it's more than four lines, so:

But upon further examination, there is a method to his madness and his plans seem downright genius. Here was no exception. Rommel described his plan in his memoirs:

(Your entire quote indented here on every line)

Who is the author of the book? I'm not talking about Rommel, I'm talking about who compiled his memoirs and published them. That is who you should be concerned about.

The way you have it written, it would look something like

But upon further examination, there is a method to his madness and his plans seem downright genius. Here was no exception. Consider Rommel's plan as described in his memoirs: "The British command was to be made to expect our main attack in the north and centre of the Gazala line. We hoped to persuade them to deploy their armour behind the infantry positions in this sector. The idea of a German frontal attack against the Gazala position could not apperat so very far fetched to the British command, as it was quite within the bounds of possibility that we would prefer it to the risky right hook round Bir Hacheim. If we failed to mislead the British command into concentrating the whole of their armour in this sector, then we hoped that they would send at least part of it up there and thus split their striking power" (Doe 202).

1. Notice that by stating Rommel before the quotation, you can see he is the one being quoted.

2. No italics for the quote, and margins remain the same as for the rest of the text.

3. Quotations signify the beginning and end of the quote.

4. Open parenthesis, list the author of the book followed by the page number with no punctuation between the two. Close parenthesis, then period.

In your list of Cited Works, the above would look something like:

Doe, John. Rommel Papers. New York: Random House, 2006.

1.author's name, last name first

2.title and subtitle, underlined or italicized

3.place of publication, publisher, and the date

Archived