Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Roy Williams just made 3rd string

Redskinswin

Williams consistently tackles at the jersey at the neck. It's his MO. To deny it is foolish.

The rule is an upgrade from the one passed last year...because Williams exploited the loop-hole of not grabbing the underlying gear.

His game will have to change.

Oh, and I'd like to see tear-away jerseys...finger tackles would become a thing of the past.

I am REALLY getting sick of the Roy Williams bashing on this board.

Um, let's see...I'm looking around, and yes! I'm on the Redskins' official board! And the people here are saying bad things about...about COWBOYS! Who'd a thunk it?!

The guy has injured people in the past...he deserves the bad rap.

THE ROY WILLIAMS HORSE-COLLAR RULE

The committee expanded the definition of a horse collar tackle. Last year, the committee determined the tackling style of Cowboys safety Roy Williams and others was causing too many injuries. Williams would grab a player by the back of his shoulder pads, pull him down and fall on his legs, causing at least four serious injuries during the 2004 season. In 2005, though, only two "horse-collar" penalties were called. On Wednesday, owners voted in a change that will include grabbing the back of the jersey as a horse collar tackle. The vote was 25-7 in favor.

Now it's in print, everybody happy? :logo:

The vote was 25-7 in favor of expanding the horse-collar rule that was approved last year after Dallas safety Roy Williams broke the leg of Owens with that style of tackle. Only two horse-collar penalties were called last season, when the rule prevented defensive players from pulling down offensive players by grabbing the back of their shoulder pads. Now, it is penalty just to grab the back of a jersey on a horse-collar tackle.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/14217659.htm

The horse-collar tackling rule - or so-called "Roy Williams Rule" - was passed last year to ban grabbing a runner inside his shoulder pads and immediately pulling back. Williams made the tackling technique infamous when he injured Owens and others during the 2004 season.

But only two horse-collars were flagged last season, and only one was a correct call, said Mike Pereira, the NFL's supervisor of officials. There were, however, four injuries from takedowns inside the back of the collar that weren't considered horse-collars under the rule.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/14217662.htm

So when destroyed Crayton (fumble :mad: ) who had a first down late in a 1 point game. That was nothing. :rolleyes:

Oh and when he sealed a win in Arizona by punking JJ Arrington to fall to the ground on a 4th down play giving us the ball and the game. But your right ST doesn't make plays. :rolleyes:

Thank God he's fast though...

The Crayton play was a great play.

The Arrington play was more Arrington being a wus than anything else. As a matter of fact, I would attribute that cowering more to Roy Williams than Sean Taylor. Reason being, In the preseason of last year, Roy blasted Arrington on one play. After the game, Arrington commented on how Roy crushed him and he had never been hit that hard before.

On Taylor's TD, big deal. It should not have even been a TD, it should have been ruled down by contact. Scooped a fumble and ran, wow.

:doh:

The vote was 25-7 in favor of expanding the horse-collar rule that was approved last year after Dallas safety Roy Williams broke the leg of Owens with that style of tackle. Only two horse-collar penalties were called last season, when the rule prevented defensive players from pulling down offensive players by grabbing the back of their shoulder pads. Now, it is penalty just to grab the back of a jersey on a horse-collar tackle.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/14217659.htm

The horse-collar tackling rule - or so-called "Roy Williams Rule" - was passed last year to ban grabbing a runner inside his shoulder pads and immediately pulling back. Williams made the tackling technique infamous when he injured Owens and others during the 2004 season.

But only two horse-collars were flagged last season, and only one was a correct call, said Mike Pereira, the NFL's supervisor of officials. There were, however, four injuries from takedowns inside the back of the collar that weren't considered horse-collars under the rule.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/14217662.htm

A whole 4 injuries from the takedown, geez.

Wonder how many injuries were sustained from normal tackling.....

:doh:

4 injuries is an outrage!

Um, let's see...I'm looking around, and yes! I'm on the Redskins' official board! And the people here are saying bad things about...about COWBOYS! Who'd a thunk it?!

The guy has injured people in the past...he deserves the bad rap.

Nice reply!

Very witty.

BTW, I've been here considerably longer than you and do realize, after all of this time, that it is a skins board.

I don't have a problem with analytical negative comments. Sheer stupidity does need to be called out though.

:cheers:

The Arrington play was more Arrington being a wus than anything else. As a matter of fact, I would attribute that cowering more to Roy Williams than Sean Taylor. Reason being, In the preseason of last year, Roy blasted Arrington on one play. After the game, Arrington commented on how Roy crushed him and he had never been hit that hard before.

:laugh: you're right...why don't you find a clip of every play where Arrington got tackled...and add it to Roy's highlight vids?

huh?

Do I have to go find the quote?

The quote has no bearing on this situation. I find it funny that you are giving credit for a play to someone/something that happened in a different game.

Tha'ts like saying Lloyd's performance against you guys was not because of his talent, but because of what Santana Moss did to you.

:laugh:

The quote has no bearing on this situation. I find it funny that you are giving credit for a play to something that happened in a different game.

Tha'ts like saying Lloyd's performance against you guys was not because of his talent, but because of what Santana Moss did to you.

:laugh:

Ok, how about that scouts were saying it long before the Taylor play......

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/football/nfl/carolina_panthers/13434472.htm

Around the NFC

The Bears released punt returner Bobby Wade last week. He was explosive, but couldn't hang on to the ball. He fumbled or dropped the ball 10 times. The Bears will put the job in the better hands of Bernard Berrian. ... First-round picks generally aren't sent to NFL Europe, but the Packers at least will consider allocating Aaron Rodgers, especially if Brett Favre returns for another year. ... Dallas cornerback Terence Newman has been branching out this season. Newman has been returning punts and he lined up for a play at wide receiver last week. Receivers coach Todd Haley has been pushing to use Newman at receiver, and that might start happening on a more regular basis. ... The Cardinals aren't ready to declare second-round pick J.J. Arrington a bust, but the running back certainly hasn't come close to expectations. Some scouts say Arrington has appeared tentative and question if that stems from a preseason game where he took a vicious hit from Dallas safety Roy Williams....[/FONT] Credit Seattle middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu for being a team player. He informed the league that a half-sack he received credit for should go to teammate Leroy Hill. The league reviewed the play and gave credit to Hill.

:doh: Wow. I mean, wow. I can't believe you just wrote that...its pretty unbelievable.

First of all; if Arrington hadn't wussed out (which you are correct, he did wus out) Taylor would have blown him up. Second of all, it had nothing to do with a Roy Williams play almost 4 months earlier...give me a friggin' break. I'd say it had more to do with Taylor blowing him up earlier in the SAME GAME than anything RW did 4 months earlier.

Seriously Ken...are you trying to be a mega-homer just to upset us? That's what it sounds like to me...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I wonder what team those scouts are employed by! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm right and your wrong...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

so childish.

I'm right and your wrong...

so childish.

Ken, come on. It says "some" scouts. Could be 2, could be 3, could be 500. We have no idea. My guess is that it was Cowboy scouts watching the game (it was preseason, the scouts are watching to see who makes the team or not ;)) and offered their opinion on the subject.

But, way to not even address the point I made earlier about ST blowing Arrington up in the same game. :rolleyes: I guess that is the viewpoint of the Cowboy homer; it HAD to Roy Williams, it couldn't have been ST!

:rolleyes:

Ken: If you don't see it as incredibly silly, ther'es nothing else I can say. :doh:

Seriously?

I am having a really hard time finding the Arrington quote to further back this one up. Being that the names of the players involved are so common.

Would Taylor have lit him up? Probably.

Did he not get the chance to because of what Roy did to him in the preseason? Yes. Not a doubt in my mind.

Its kinda like the qb who doesn't look downfield anymore and just looks at the rush coming at him. Same principle.

Sorry this rationale is so hard to understand.

Ken, come on. It says "some" scouts. Could be 2, could be 3, could be 500. We have no idea. My guess is that it was Cowboy scouts watching the game (it was preseason, the scouts are watching to see who makes the team or not ;)) and offered their opinion on the subject.

But, way to not even address the point I made earlier about ST blowing Arrington up in the same game. :rolleyes: I guess that is the viewpoint of the Cowboy homer; it HAD to Roy Williams, it couldn't have been ST!

:rolleyes:

First of all, the article was from December. Second of all it was from a Charlotte newspaper. Did you even read the article?

This was 3 + months after the hit and they were still talking about it, in other cities.

I also haven't seen the hit. I noticed that a lot of what Taylor does is greatly dramatized by Skins fans. If you have video of the hit, would love to see it.

First of all, the article was from December. Second of all it was from a Charlotte newspaper. Did you even read the article?

This was 3 + months after the hit and they were still talking about it, in other cities.

No, they weren't talking about the hit. They were talking about JJ Arrington, and "some scouts" offered up RW's hit as a possible explanation.

I also haven't seen the hit. I noticed that a lot of what Taylor does is greatly dramatized by Skins fans. If you have video of the hit, would love to see it.

I was mistaken, the hit was on Shipp, not Arrington. However he still blew up a Arizona RB, and Arrington still saw the hit. Anyway, its at about the 2:30 mark of this compliation video. Right click and 'save as' or just click it to stream. It is a Taylor highlight video, so I offer it up to those saying Taylor didn't do anything this year. :rolleyes:

EDIT: And at the :50 mark of this video is the horse-collar Roy put on Portis in the second Dallas game. It doesn't show it in the video, but I'm sure you all remember Portis writhing in agony on the ground after RW collared him.

Ken is absolutely right on this one.....Arrington was not the same player since that Williams hit.

If Arrington was affected that badly by the Williams hit, then he has no business in the NFL and is a total bust. Coles got lit up by either Williams or somebody else on the Dallas secondary in 04, but he still went over the middle.

If Arrington was affected that badly by the Williams hit, then he has no business in the NFL and is a total bust. Coles got lit up by either Williams or somebody else on the Dallas secondary in 04, but he still went over the middle.

I have seen nothing from Arrington to suggest that he does belong in the nfl.

All players are not created equal.

I have seen nothing from Arrington to suggest that he does belong in the nfl.

All players are not created equal.

Wow...holy ****...gee...that Williams sure can hit, eh?

Too bad he can't cover people deep.

If you'll notice, he's grabbing jersey because receivers are running past him...

That was last year and I never saw the refs call it ONCE! In any game and leadfoot Williams acted like it didn't apply to him anyway as I saw him do it time after time.

The rules said if you grabbed the shoulder pads it was a horse collar last year this year its the whole shirt and shoulder pads

Archived