Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saturday Night Special

Om

All right, brothers and sisters. It's Saturday night. We are well fed. We have beer in hand (we DO, don't we?).

And as if that wasn't enough ...

Norv is gone. Ron Lynn is gone. Mike Nolan is gone. Stanley Richard, Ethan Horton, Heath Shuler, Matt Stevens, James Washington, Al Noga, Leonard Marshall, Carl Banks, Andre Johnson, Albert Connell, Micheal Westbrook, Jimmy Raye and Marty Schottenheimer ... all gone. As well as some others you don't care to remember at this time, either. Trust me on this.

We live in free societies, here in North America (no politics please, I'm on a roll). Nobody is likely to come to our door tonight with machete in hand looking for trouble because our ancestors messed with theirs. Or just because they can.

The Earth has not been hit by a massive, ecosystemic-disruptive asteroid in 65 million years.

And as if all of THAT wasn't enough ...

Steve Spurrier is in the NFL ... and he's on our side. By HIS side is Marvin Lewis. We have some really good players. A bunch of them, in fact. And a system they seem to buy into. And more positive karma than most of us can remember around here in a very, very long time.

And, of course, the 2002 Washington Redskins have not yet tasted defeat. In less than 48 hours, they will have the chance to meet an old friend, perhaps settle some old scores, perhaps create some new ones.

Yeah, as Saturday nights go ... I think I'm liking this one.

Hmm.

I know I had a thread in mind before launching into all that ... I just can't seem to ... um ...

[deep, soulful quaff of icy ale ... thoughtful stroking of beard ...]

Oh yeah.

Best and/or Worst Eagles vs. Redskins Moment over the years.

I'll start:

Best: 1990. Gibbs takes us to Philly on Wild Card weekend to face the same Buddy Ryan team that whomped us in the Body Bag game a few weeks prior; the same Buddy Ryan / Andre Watters team that has been chest-thumpin' and trash-talkin' all damn year ... and Gibbs simply stifles them. As solid and brilliant a coached game as you'll ever see. And as satisfying a win as I have ever had the pleasure of watching in the company of a fan of the other team. Oh ... was he pissed.

And I, of course, was wholly magnanimous.

Not. :)

Worst: Don't remember the year. Guess I've blocked it out. RFK. Both teams in playoff race. Gerald Riggs is insane, rushes for over 200 yards, utterly ustoppable. Jim Effing Brown. As dominating a RB performance as I've ever seen. So what happens? Randall "Chuck it Long & Pray" Cunningham, the magnificent spider-legged b@stard, leads the Iggs on an improbable, impossible, heart-rending length of the field TD drive to beat us in the last seconds. Simply awful.

Just glad my friend from the "Best" story was no longer one at that point.

Don't know that I could have handled his magnanimity.

Next?

And if that wasn't enough, there's no sequel to Wing Commander on the books. :D

K...cold one in hand....(takes moderate drink of beer...looks at screen)........

Best: Just have to go with you on this Om. All time favorite there. I despise Buddy Ryan.

Worst: ( Huuuuuge "chug" of cold one in attempt to erase pain of memory).

Unsure of year... controversial fumble is picked up by worlds slowest Defensive Lineman.... deep in Eagles territory, and is returned for T.D.................ouch.........finishes cold one.

And if that wasn't enough.... Darrell Green is still playing......(appreciation really comes from those in his age group.....ahem....)

:cheers:

Originally posted by Om

Norv is gone. Ron Lynn is gone. Mike Nolan is gone. Stanley Richard, Ethan Horton, Heath Shuler, Matt Stevens, James Washington, Al Noga, Leonard Marshall, Carl Banks, Andre Johnson, Albert Connell, Micheal Westbrook, Jimmy Raye and Marty Schottenheimer ... all gone. As well as some others you don't care to remember at this time, either. Trust me on this.

Om, how could you have forgotten Shar Pourdanish?

Actually, your post gave me a brilliant idea. Well, after a few brews it seems brilliant. In the cold light of morning it may be less so.

Next time there is a slow period, say between the SB and the draft, we should set up a reverse "Survivors" game on the board. We would start off by nominating some number, let's say 20, of the worst Redskins of all time. Then each week we would vote, and kick the best of the worst off the island. Until, at the end, with our cumulative wisdom, we had identified the worst Redskin of all time (or at least in modern memory).

Think about it. We would have identified the one person who was responsible for the most domestic discord, the most smashed remotes, the most kicked dogs.... Maybe our contest would be picked up by the Post. We might make Guiness.... The Dan could engrave a plaque and mount it above one of the urinals in the rest room... Or maybe mount it IN the urinal...

I'm off to have another brew.

sitting in my living room, in the lotus position (be afraid, be very afraid) saying OMMMM OMMMMM OMMMMMMMM

That is the transcendental meditation thang right?

Life is good (at least until Midnight monday OM but lets be positive).

On top of all that, I just configured my first home network and am working on my first wireless notebook (which may not make me the next Stephen Hawkings, but in my experience this is genius material)...

Worst Philly Moment:

The Body Bag game hurt the worst.

Randall Cunningham to Keith Jackson seems to have happened more than once...although we usually had good success against the Eagles in the late 80s, it was a vicious triangle, we would beat the Eagles, the Eagles would beat the Giants, and the Giants would beat us.

But I think one of the worst moments was the Nadir of Norv, losing the Toilet Bowl 17-12 in 98...never been so low as a Skins fan

Best Philly Moment:

Has to be beating the Eagles after the Body Bag game...

Nothing else really comes to mind

Leslie Shepard being gone still makes my heart warm.

Best moment: First game with village-idiot Buddy Ryan coaching the Eagles. Opening day 1986. Ryan predicts an easy win to start of an easy road to the NFC East title. Skins soundly thrash the Eagles 41-14.

Worst moment: Body Bag game.

Archived