Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US vs Germany(soccer)

JMURedskins

Anyone watching the US vs Germany game on ESPN 2? US is holding their own in Germany in the first half. Germany is at pretty much full strength. I think the annoucer said they were down one player. US is missing at least 4 players today. I know Donovan is one of them. I haven't seen Beasley. I have to miss the second half for class, but it's nice to see US holding their own while missing some players.

I live in Chandler Hall, in one of the apartment style rooms. All of my classes are in Showker so it is the easiest for me.

I just got back from class early to see we are down 1-0. That is still solid considering we are short some of our best players.

I hate to say it in public, but the US is too small and too slow to really make me feel they have a chance to make a dent in this world cup. They did not play their true rotation either. Also, keep in mind that Bobby Convey, perhaps our worst player, is still allowed to play on our squad. The moment we get someone else to touch the ball in critical times, we will be fine.

Please dont use this game as ANY indication of how we will do at the WC.

Our lineup was-

Keller- Will start in Germany

Cherundolo- Will start and played fine in 1st game back

Gibbs- Will not start, but make the team and looked very good

Berhalter- will not play in Germany, will be lucky to make the squad

Conrad- Will not make the squad or play

midfield-

Convery- Will not start in Germany, will be lucky to make the team

Mastroeni- will make the team, but not start barring an injury

Zavagnin- will not make the team barring an injury

Wolff- will not be a midfielder, and not a starter in Germany

forwards

Ching- not going to make it

Johnson- A starter.

So, we had 1 defender, zero midfielders and 1 forward play today.

Trust me. The US is a different team with Pope and Gooch in the middle (size matters) and Eddie Lewis on the left side.

And that midfield today couldnt beat my high school team. Reyna, Donovan O'Brien and Beasley look like Brasil compared to that dreck today.

And no-one will mistake Ching for McBride any time soon.

The fact that we held on for 75 minutes impressed me.

I think this was Bruce Arena sending the team a wakeup call.

Convery- Will not start in Germany, will be lucky to make the team.

Convey should be in Germany this summer. It pains me to say this as I genuninely dislike the guy (years of seeing him underachieve and just flat out suck for DC United did it), but playing in England has done wonders for his game. He's gained so much confidence on and off the ball that his game has improved leaps and bounds. He was taking on and beating multiple German defenders and playing some balls that few American players are capable of. Needless to say, I was shocked to hear that he and Hanneman (I butchered his name) are leading Reading to promotion in the EPL.

Convey being a left footed player will also help save him. I'm drawing a blank on naming any quality left footed players on the squad outside of Lewis. It seems like Bruce has a lot of confidence in Convey's ability to serve players in dead ball situations as well.

He's 3rd man for both left side positions.

Eddie Lewis will start at left back and DMB will start at left mid.

Lewis will also move to mid if Beas goes down, but Heyduk will be the left back if that happens.

Convey just doesnt offer anything other people do as well.

Archived