Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the Defensive Impact of Abraham and NO Abraham?

RedskinsFanatic

I don't think it changes much. I believe Abraham is being targeted as a replacement for Lavar Arrington. Seeing as how the defense did pretty well without Arrington, I don't know that getting Abrham is really that big of a deal. The key was adding other playmakers to give the defense players that can attack from all over the field. The Carter and Archuleta signings are problem more important to the success of the defense this year than the acquisition of Abraham would be...

I don't think it changes much. I believe Abraham is being targeted as a replacement for Lavar Arrington. Seeing as how the defense did pretty well without Arrington, I don't know that getting Abrham is really that big of a deal. The key was adding other playmakers to give the defense players that can attack from all over the field. The Carter and Archuleta signings are problem more important to the success of the defense this year than the acquisition of Abraham would be...

i think you a little crazy, abraham is a great pressure DE....and he is also a sack master.....it would be a huge difference...b/c we would have someone who can put a constant pressure on the QB...i am SO PRO ABRAHAM

WE WANT JONNY!

~J'A'K'E

I think without Abraham, we might see some of Carter at end and some at LB - on rushing downs.

I think with Abraham, we might see Daniels slip inside to tackle (solving some of our tackle depth problems with Salavea moving to a rotational sub) with Griffin and Wynn doing the same thing. Either of our ends can and has played tackle at times and successfully. I think you see a lineup of AC, JA on the ends and Daniels and Griffin in the middle.

If we just have Carter, we probably have him at OLB on running downs (1st, 2nd and 5 or under) and him and Clemons at Ends on passing downs (2nd and long, 3rd) for their speed rushing. Clemons was being used in that fashion last year with success, and you saw how it actually had the corollary effect of getting some of the pressure off of Daniels - and you saw what that effect was.

Having Daniels in the three gap and moving Griff to the one gap is good for penetration sake, though I would imagine that Daniels would come in for situational sub on passing and Wynn or Salavea would be in more for the rushing downs... keeps the legs fresh and adds beef for the run stopping. But on passing downs, we have 4 guys who can all penetrate with a good amount of speed.

It also makes the LB penetration so much easier since opponents won't be able to easily make decisions on who to block singly... as well as if they max protect, which many teams may decide to do if our rush becomes more effective, it will inhibit their passing game.

A good pash rush with or without Abraham will make anyone look better in the secondary as well, simply due to the QB being harrassed all game.

JMO.

I think that both JA and AC are giving Greg Williams the ability to fluctuate between 3-4 and 4-3 in a manner to confuse the Defense. Today's NFL is all about making you think that a team is running one Defense when they're truly running something else. When you put both of these guys on the field at the same time it can really confuse the Offense bc you cant tell whether they're rushing/blitzing or in coverage. I'm imagining a D with Daniels, Griffin, and Wynn in a three point stance with Carter, Marshall, Washington, Abraham and Archeletta standing up 3-5 yds off the ball. You don't know who is gonna blitz, and because of the size of Daniels, Griffin and Wynn you cant just say you're gonna pound the ball on us. I'm looking forward to a long confusing season for the opposing offense! Hail!

Very good without him. Excellent with him.......either way we're in good shape. We should score 30 pts. a game.

I agree we will put much more points on the board, this is how are D will get better with or without Abe, due to the fact that when you are putting zero to very little points on the board, you cause your opposition to play conservitive on

offense, and defence has less time to rest.

Last year we put up low points until the middle and end of season, hence our next to zero turnovers. At the mid to the end year points were average to high, but mostly average which caused the opposition to force plays against us causing turnovers and oppertunity for turnovers.

I'm not sold on Archuletta as of yet, will see. As far as a pass rushing DE yes I hope we do get Abe, heck I'll take Abe and Carter, will this upgrade our D? of course but not as much as upgrading our offense will do...JMO.

I think you are right about upgrading the offense upgrading the defense...

Can everyone remember how our lackluster offense kept our defense on the field UNTIL they broke instead of just bending?

When the opponents control the TOP we had problems... if this offense, the players and the money spent keep our defense on the sidelines and keep them fresh so they play at their highest level all game long... AWESOME!

Can you imagine our players not being worn down because our team is the one getting all the first downs? Can you imagine us having 10 play drives more than once or twice a game? A lot of us older fans who grew up watching the Skins in the 80's can... and we are seeing that being rebuilt... Monk, Clark and Sanders were dissed a lot by the media back then because they weren't flashy or talkers... they just won. I can see that happening this year... and that will improve our defense... keeping the other defense on the field and exhausting them....

That to me is the best thing about this years FA pickup

Archived