Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marty and our Defense

Stricknine

I don't know about the rest of you, but I like the way our defense plays better right now more than I have in a very long time. I think this D has a chance (with a good pick up or 2 on the DL) to be something special. I absolutely relish the idea of this team, like other Marty teams, being a team that other teams hate playing because they know that Monday morning will hurt.

Plus, and more importantly, I think our defense is coming together with alot of younger and faster personnel. We seem to get to the ball alot quicker than we used to, and the hits levied are more of the snot bubble variety.

Secondly, I see the Giants defense beginning to fade a bit. Keith Hamilton has peaked, and their corners are average at best. I'm not sold on Peterson or Allen at CB's, nor do I think they have a dominating linebacker corp.

As for the Eagles, if they loose Trotter they may become rather average. Other than their secondary, with Dawkins and Taylor, they're above average. But...other than Simon and Douglass (Whom did not have a pro bowl year) they're rather average.

Dallas.....speed but they lack size..... And...well....they're Dallas. I'm not going to say anything nice about them.

I agree. The job Marty has done with the defense and special teams deserves more praise than he is getting right now.

And, maybe one of these games Dallas will get bored with us and we'll sneak up on them and actually win a game. mad.gif

the key to beating bad football teams is to get a quick lead on them. that is how Philly blew Dallas out twice. It is how the Seahawks beat the Cowboys 29-3.

that is how Gibbs' teams used to win games against most of their sub-.500 opponents.

you get a quick lead and then wait for the mistakes and turnovers when the opponent tries to make plays and come back.

the problem with Marty's system is that you very rarely get off to that 14-0 type head start unless there is a turnover or kick return.

the offense has not shown itself able to score points, even against weaker opponents.

The Cardinals for example have the #28 defense in the NFL yet the Redskins were not able to score more than 20 points on them in 2 games this season.

Here is our scoring output in division games this season:

Dallas: 7 and 14.

NYG: 9 and 35.

Philly: 13 and 6.

Arizona: 20 and 20.

Except for the second Giants game there wasn't a solid offensive output in any of the other games.

That's why this team keeps going 4-4 or 3-5 in the division each season.

bulldog is right. also, and i'm generalizing somewhat, as good as the defensive improvement was this year, i still don't think they dominated enough to take the play routinely into the opponents backfield. for the most part, we were lucky and dodged teams with strong passing attacks that could exploit our weak pass rush. next year with st louis, minnesota, et al, it may prove different. i see us at status quo ante unless we bring in a speedster off the corner and perhaps a top flight safety to force a few more nanoseconds of wait time and thus allow a sack/rush.

Archived