Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Breaking Down the Salary Cap

tr1

Now, how do you think the Eagles will deal with paying $7 million extra each year? I have an idea....

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, March 10, 2006; 11:48 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2006/03/10/BL2006031000745_pf.html

Here's how the salary cap works under the terms of the NFL's new labor deal:

The percentages of the league's expanded revenue pool that the players are to receive as compensation are set at 57 percent in the 2006 and 2007 seasons, 57.5 percent in 2008 and 2009 and 58 percent in 2010 and 2011. The 2012 season would be played without a salary cap.

The deal assumes that the teams collectively will outspend the cap by 2 percent per season.

That sets the "trigger points" at 59 percent of revenues in 2006 and 2007, 59.5 percent in 2008 and 2009 and 60 percent in 2010 and 2011. The cap then will automatically adjust from year to year based on whether the teams' collective spending on player compensation reaches the trigger points. If the collective spending on players surpasses the trigger point in a season, the cap automatically will adjust downward the following season. If spending fails to reach the trigger point in a season, the cap automatically will adjust upward the following season.

Thus, the deal assumes that the players will receive an average of 59.5 percent of revenues over the duration of the deal.

Revenue-Sharing Will Cost Highest-Revenue Teams About $7 Million

A person familiar with the league's new revenue-sharing plan said it requires the highest-revenue teams to pay about $7 million apiece annually into a fund that will be distributed to low-revenue franchises.

The Washington Redskins, New England Patriots, Houston Texans, Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles are believed to be the top five revenue-generating franchises that will be hit the hardest by the revenue-sharing plan that was approved Wednesday, along with the labor settlement, by a 30-2 vote of the league's franchise owners.

why are you so obsessed w/ the Eagles ?

but anyway, here's an idea... let me know what you think tr1. Maybe Lurie can create some seats in the stadium... oh, I don't know... maybe just throw a few in behind some pilars or other things that would block your view... and just charge out the wazoo for those...

Or maybe he could just jack the eff out of parking... maybe hike it up 40% and charge the loyal fans the same to park their car what other stadiums would charge to park an RV.....

Or just hike the hell out of the lower bowl seat prices...

now that is how raise some $$ right there. And if those don't work, I suppose Lurie could charge money to see the team practice.

why are you so obsessed w/ the Eagles ?

but anyway, here's an idea... let me know what you think tr1. Maybe Lurie can create some seats in the stadium... oh, I don't know... maybe just throw a few in behind some pilars or other things that would block your view... and just charge out the wazoo for those...

Or maybe he could just jack the eff out of parking... maybe hike it up 40% and charge the loyal fans the same to park their car what other stadiums would charge to park an RV.....

Or just hike the hell out of the lower bowl seat prices...

now that is how raise some $$ right there. And if those don't work, I suppose Lurie could charge money to see the team practice.

Hey Terps. Perhaps you should worry about why your team is becoming the new Arizona Cardinals of the NFC East. Too cheap to keep Runyan, in need of a true #1 WR and a solid everydown RB.

What good is it to have 31m in cap space if youre not going to use it.

In other words, quit stoking the embers. You wont like the firestorm you'll get here if you continue down this path.

Hey Terps. Perhaps you should worry about why your team is becoming the new Arizona Cardinals of the NFC East. Too cheap to keep Runyan, in need of a true #1 WR and a solid everydown RB.

What good is it to have 31m in cap space if youre not going to use it.

In other words, quit stoking the embers. You wont like the firestorm you'll get here if you continue down this path.

I've never had a problem w/ you Oldskool, sorry that you apparently have one w/ me now. But oh well..

I'm going to post back to tr1, in the same assanine tone he posts. hell, if you all aren't gonna call the guy out, just b/c he claims to be a Skins fan, then screw it... it's a slow day for me here.... I abide by the rules here. I just post in this way usually in my resposes to tr1 flaming the Eagles.

I've been a member here for years... this board used to be much better in my opinion... but hey, if this is the way it's gonna go... hell, I'll play right along. Look at my member number... I joined this community just shortly before you did OldSkool... do you honestly remember any thread I've started to simply incite Skins fans, or to "fan the embers" or to start a fight ? Can you say the same about your fellow fan who, incidentally, started this very thread ?

but to answer your post

Runyan, though he has a few years in him, is on the back end of his career. I wish him well if the Eagles don't re-sign him. When the Eagles sign Bentley, and possibly Hutchinson, I'll have no problems w/ their line.

As for WR, I LOVE what I see in R. Brown, and don't be surprised to see Javon Walker w/ the Eagles either.

RB, too many things can happen here. I love WB. For all I know Mike Anderson may be an Eagle by 12:15 am on Saturday.

As for that 31M$. Kind of hard to spend it before Free Agency starts, no ?

Let the firestorm begin my man. This boards blind loyalty to your own homegrown troll amazes me, though I guess it shouldn't.

I've said it before and I'll say it now... on any of the 3 Eagles boards I frequent, if we had an Eagles poster, that simply posted anti Redskins posts for the sole purpose of stirring Skins fans reactions, he would have been called on it and asked to tone it down long ago.

If you all want 10-15 anti Eagles threads started by the same poster, each day, in "Around the NFL", then so be it. Some of us Eagles fans are gonna stoop down to that same level and keep it going.

Hell, why not just rename this section to "Hate on the Eagles" .. it's about the only team that gets discussed anyway.

peace

So ban me OldSkool. I've never had a problem w/ you.

Im not a mod and even if I was, im not so thin skinned that this would be a bannable offense.

All im saying is that youre going down a path in this thread where you are OT and by all appearances attempting to start a fight.

Just my :2cents:

I edited my first response b/c I didn't mean to come off like a d!ck to you.

I TRY to stay OT here. What was his topic though ? He masks a thread about "Breaking down the Salary Cap" but you know as well as I do that isn't the topic he wants to discuss....

Not when his first sentence in the post is: Now, how do you think the Eagles will deal with paying $7 million extra each year? I have an idea....

I'd say I was pretty much on topic w/ that.

Whoa, there TE.

You'd think I'm the only person in 'Around the NFL' that posts about the Eagles...simply not true.

And what did I say in this post about the Eagles that was so offensive? I don't recall saying what they would do...it's a hunch and no one seemed interested, so let's let it go, shall we?

As for your accusation that I'm responsible for any degradation in chatter on this board, I take offense. Let's stop talking about me and start talking about my posts and point of view. I'm always interested in what you have to say...

And I love you man.

Archived