Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question...Mark Brunell and Cap situation

RIDETHEWALRUS

First let me say that I do not recommend that Brunell be let go, traded, whatever. What I am curious about is what is the cap implication if Brunell were to be released or if he were to be traded? I know that as it stands we are likely to move Ramsey, which will save us some loot, but what is the discrepancy in $ if we moved Brunell instead.

Please don't turn this into a hail Ramsey or bash Brunell thread.

Please don't turn this into a hail Ramsey or bash Brunell thread.

Hopefully you'll be the first to have that request granted.

When I react at all, I usually vary between mild annoyance and equally mild amusement at the compulsive responses of the few bashers. The hailers aren't as hard to take, even when close-minded; Pat's a good kid.

As to your topic, I can't imagine that Mark's going anywhere, but there will still probably something interesting deposited in the thread and it is offseason. :)

Now if he were cut or traded, THAT would be one of the all-time surprise moves of the season for me.

If we were to release Brunell before June 2, '06, the cap hit would be around 3.75 Mil. After June 2, it would be about 1.85 Mil in '06 and 1.85 M in '07.

These are just my estimations based on the 8 Mil signing bonus he received initially. I have no trade scenario because that is highly improbable.

Actually, Brunell getting released before Ramsey is highly improbable, since Ramsey is at least, lower string than Brunell and probably behind Campbell too. Not to mention Ramsey has a 2.8 Mil cap # this year. ;)

Releasing and or trading Brunell (while the better personnel move) will just about cripple the cap. He signed a 7 year $40+ million contract with an $8.6 million bonus. He has played through 2 years of the contract so there is at least $6 million in bonus that would be accelerated into a cap hit this year. His base pay right now is $4 million from what I've gathered from various articles, so it would actually COST the Redskins roughly $2 million against the cap to dump Brunell...

However if the CBA is extended by March 3 and the Skins released him after June 1 I think they could save around $2.5 million against the cap with the rest of the cap hit pushed on to next year's cap...

I thought Ramsey's cap hit was a bit less than that. I certainly don't see anything happening to Brunell, but with Saunders now the guy running the show I doubt we can be certain. The other thing is that some teams might have interest in Brunell. I don't know how much interest, but lets not forget that he was a hihly coveted FA 2 yrs ago and had a very solid year last year.

Either way, thanks for the info.

If Brunell stays his 06 cap hit is 5.433M and if he's cut or traded his cap hit would be 5.733M. Unless there is a CBA extension there will be no June 1 cut benefit this year but were there to be an extension and he's cut after 6/1/06 he would leave 1.43M in dead money in 06 and the rest would count in 07.

http://www.thewarpath.net/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm

Click on release fees at the above link and it will tell you the cost/benefit of cutting every player.

Unfortunatly Patrick is going to be traded. I say unfortunatly because I really like the kid, However I know some of you are having a hard time getting your mind around the fact that Mark gave us a better chance to win this year. He made plays that Patrick could not... yet. With that said Brunell should be our starter going into camp. I don't know of an available QB I would be interested in replacing Brunell with. I think anyone we could bring in would have question marks as to there performance this year. I for one do not think Campbell is ready. I would like to see him as our #2 for a year and then compete for the starting job. Other than the cap hit bringing in someone younger that you might call an upgrade would cost us even more money at that position, and I think he would take time to run the new offense effectively.

I QB stituation should be as follows...

Starter: Mark Brunell

#2: Jason Campbell

#3: Free agent veteran

Unfortunatly Patrick is going to be traded. I say unfortunatly because I really like the kid, However I know some of you are having a hard time getting your mind around the fact that Mark gave us a better chance to win this year. He made plays that Patrick could not... yet. With that said Brunell should be our starter going into camp. I don't know of an available QB I would be interested in replacing Brunell with. I think anyone we could bring in would have question marks as to there performance this year. I for one do not think Campbell is ready. I would like to see him as our #2 for a year and then compete for the starting job. Other than the cap hit bringing in someone younger that you might call an upgrade would cost us even more money at that position, and I think he would take time to run the new offense effectively.

I QB stituation should be as follows...

Starter: Mark Brunell

#2: Jason Campbell

#3: Free agent veteran

I am not trying to be a smart ass, but what makes you think Campbell isn't ready?

Archived